18th Century Long Boat by roach101761 - Model Shipways

Hello All

I have decided to build my Model Shipways kit of the 18th Century Long Boat.  In order to make the build log a little bit different than the others here I am gearing it for the beginner who has never built a ship model before.  I and I alone have decided its a good kit for the beginner for the following reasons.

1.     The model has a very modest cost compared to others, especially if you catch a sale.  At the time of writing this it is listed at $49.99 without entering a sales code on the website.  I paid less for mine. 

2.     Model Shipways quality control is very high and their free replacement parts for missing or broken parts is superb.  Although made completely from bass wood Model Shipways strives for the best it can put in the kit.

3.     Bass wood is a good material for a beginner. 

4.     The hull itself will introduce the beginner to most basic hull construction techniques found in many kits.   It is a plank on bulkhead constructed kit that when the bulkheads are removed, it turns into a plank on frame construct.

5.     Although the planking may cause some difficulty to the beginner because it is only a single layer and errors will show, it is a small hull and the planking lengths should be easy to accomplish.

6.     The kit presents a subject with a simplified rig that should not place a barrier between the builder and the finish line.

7.     The number of tools needed to build the boat should be limited.

I will adhere to some very strict ground rules for the build log.  Mostly related to tool use.  Those will be in my next post. 

Phil Roach

Former Director, Nautical Research Guild

Member Shipmodeler's Guild Southwest Florida

Thanks for posting and I will be following your build. I originally purchased MS English Pinnace for my first POF build, but decided to build their HMS Bounty Launch as my first attempt. I'm looking forward to learning some skills and techniques on your build. Thanks again!!!

Robert O

Robert O

Hi Phil.

This is nice to see . A model being constructed with a step by step for beginners to follow along.😁

A good choice of kit for the reasons you have stated.

Looking forward to you starting your build.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

I will adhere to some strict ground rules for building this boat.  They are below. 

1.     I will use only basic hand tools.

2.     I will not use any power tools.

3.     I will document my tool use as I use them.  I will try different tools to achieve the result in order to determine what is the best tool to complete the job. Where appropriate I will advise you what tools I tried. 

4.     I will TRY to keep the costs down by limiting the choices and the variety of tools and other materials.  This is already turning into the hardest part of the build because if I need something I naturally reach for it to do the job.  I have caught myself already on more than one occasion. There are tools that may make a portion of any particular job easier, but if it requires making a special purchase to obtain it, I will refrain from using the tool.  The best example I can think of now are  steel angle blocks for bulkhead alignment and for weights. 

5.     I will use tools I already own and routinely use.   I have been amazed over the years at how few tools I use for 90 percent of actual modeling work.  I will not handicap myself by not using my favorites.   The best example here is my sanding block, which is from a worn out True Sander.

6.     There are basic tools that will have to be bought or made (a sanding block) and it is unavoidable if you do not own them or already possess suitable other tools.  

7.     I will attempt to create work a rounds to avoid tool and material purchases.  This is more time consuming than you might think.

8.     I have not worked it all out in advance and as I go along I might have to change the processes and edit previous posts.  Where appropriate I will notify all when I have to edit.

9.     I will use my personal books to help problem solve, although a beginner will not necessarily have access to, or the desire to purchase books to complete this model.

10.    THIS IS NOT A GROUP BUILD----This build log is for posterity.  I am the slowest and most time consuming ship modeler on the face of the earth.  I am still fully employed and finding time to model is hard to balance against work and family.  If you wait on me to get to the next step in the model, I would suggest that you take up stamp collecting while you wait.

11.     I have already received private feed back on my opinion that the Long Boat is a good choice for the beginner.  I may change my mind about that when I get to the end.  I also invite private feed back from all my friends and others on Model Ship World if you can suggest a better way to achieve the result.  I will give full credit for the suggestions, and perhaps it will make a cleaner and more concise build log if they are incorporated that way rather than replies within the log. Help is always welcome, so if you want, send a private message and I will provide my email.

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

You will certainly change your mind Phil.  Although small and inexpensive, the planking of the hull is certainly advanced and will give any model builder a really good challenge.  Most beginners dont know what the word spile means and in order to plank this hull they fail to realize the extreme bends and plank shaping required.  This is more evident when it comes time to plank inboard. In addition to this, the fragility of the hull and small parts also ramp this kits skill level up to advanced. This type of hull structure needs someone familiar with handling a model with a light touch which is something that requires some experience.  Having said that, I will certainly watch and follow along as you build the model, and hope that your progress can help those who start to build their own.  It shall be a very interesting progress.  ;)  Tools are the easy part, since everything is laser cut and if you use the planks supplied....hardly any are required beyond the basic stuff as outlined in the instructions.

Oh....I dont know what the eta is...but a 1/2" scale version is in the works from ME.  This is what I suggested they do all along.  But anyway,  that one would make life a lot easier for folks.  Might want to wait for that one. :)

Chuck

I would wholeheartedly agree with chuck and have stated this on a number of other logs that this is not a beginners model, the planning and thickness of the sanded frames make this a very delicate model as Chuck suggested above

Good luck with your build and log

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Beginning the model. 

Read the entire instruction booklet before you begin.   Its more important to do this than you might think.  Every model book, guide and kit manufacturer tells you do this.  Make sure all the parts are there as every model book, guide and kit manufacturer tells you to do.  Knowing what comes next will help you organize your work and any required tool or material purchase.   Most important you will know which parts are missing and to order them from the manufacturer.

I went through the instruction book twice and discovered that it does not actually tell you that there are duplicate parts (extra parts) in the kit.  Below are the photos of the the extra parts in the kit.    The extra parts are the Keel, Rudder, Stem, Bow filler block, and stern post.

IMG_1174(1).thumb.JPG.d80213d70e2310123ad9a65b0bdf9d96.JPG

IMG_1234(1).thumb.JPG.9a2095e1c44446dfa625015d2f2a7188.JPG

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

Just an FYI....had I mentioned it.....they would have never put the extra parts on the sheet.  LOL...You wouldnt have got extra of anything.

Chuck

Tools Tools Tools and Materials

This post is being made to create a PLACE HOLDER in the log to keep a list of tools which I am using.  I will come back to it and add the tools as I use them.  That way all the recommended tools for a beginner to purchase will be here close to the top of the log.   If a Moderator or the Administrator can suggest a better way please let me know.  I do not know if I can insert posts is a build log or rearrange the order once they are done. 

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

You MUST remove the char or burn that has been created as a result of the laser cutting process.  The instructions do not tell you to do this, although the photos of the boat show that the char/burn is removed.  If you do not, the glue or adhesive will not bond properly.  Because I have chosen to use White "Elmer's Glue All" this may be an even larger concern.  I will explain my glue choice later in the log.  Please do not complain about the designer or manufacturer of the the kit for omissions in the instructions.  In ALL kits they are only meant to be an assembly guide so a modeler with some limited experience can get the model together.  They are not meant to teach you BASIC modeling methods.  That is what Model Ship World is for.

The following are my tips and comments on this task.

1.     It is a time consuming task and boredom will set in really fast.  It is the chief complaint and draw back of laser cut kits, but the accuracy it provides in the cutting is astounding compared to the older kits where the parts were stamped from a plywood sheet.

2.     It will take you far longer to sand and file each bulkhead, false keel, stem, and keel (the parts you need to build the hull) than you might imagine.

3.     It is important to take your time and to not be overly aggressive in this task.  You do not want to take off the relatively clean wood below the char/burn. It will not be white when you are done.  It will look off white and darker than the the untouched areas of the part.  DO NOT TRY TO MAKE IT CLEAN.  You will remove too much material and change the shape and dimensions of the parts. 

4.     Of special concern are the crotches of each bulkhead and their counterparts in the false keel.  TREAD LIGHTLY HERE!  If you take off too much or you are not consistent with the amount you remove you will change the height or depth that each bulkhead sits on the false keel making fairing the hull more difficult. At the time of writing this I have finished this task and discovered much to my joy that my bulkheads sit at a good height and are consistent with each other and the plans. Try to be consistent in the  removal on the other surfaces so distances fore and aft also remain relatively consistent. 

Here are my results.

IMG_1177(1).thumb.JPG.c221a7c663d76257ffd13a095ac70c5e.JPG

Note the not clean and dark stained look.  Also note the top of the bulkhead in the close pin.  I removed the edges where the top of the frame will be. In retrospect I do not advise you to do this because the frames will protrude from above the sheer plank and you have to sand or file them level later in the build.  Not removing the Char/burn from the top will make measuring their height port and starboard easier when the bulkheads are installed on the false keel later.    The next post will explain the techniques and tools used to accomplish this.

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

Tools and techniques.

PLEASE SEE MY POST FOLLOWING THE TOOL ACQUISITION POST  FOR SOME BASIC MODELING TIPS AND TECHNIQUES BEFORE YOU PROCEED TO WORK THE MODEL.

Below are the tools I used to complete more the task of removing the Char/burn.

First you have the cut the parts out. A couple years ago I switched to scalpel knives and blades.  They are very inexpensive on Ebay.  I started a thread a while back on MSW called "Is there a better #11 blade handle".  I will try to find the link later. I use them almost exclusively now.  The craft or hobby Exacto blade is heavy and clumsy.  Below are a #4 handle and 21 blade, #7 handle and 11 blade, and a dental handle and 10 blade.  I have used the regular craft knife and 11 blade in the build below.  If you are a novice at this, please be careful with surgical blades and handles.  You will cut yourself fast, you will not know it till you notice the blood spoiling your work.

IMG_1185(1).thumb.JPG.27b36038f2b2aef925be5db401b38e86.JPG

Below are the tools used to file and sand the Char/burn away from the parts.  Depicted are parts of three file sets.  The ruler is there to let you know the size.  I selected many files to try and do the task, thus the three sets.  However,  the choices to accomplish the majority of the work soon became obvious. The file sets are a miniature needle file set in a blue aluminum holder.  One of my most favorite tools and most used.   They are 4 inches in total length.  A 5 1/2 inch flat file and two files from a 7 inch set.  Also is my Sanding block from an old True Sander(my most used tool).  It has 4 grits of sand paper on it. Last are the sanding sticks.  All of them are coarse grades. 

IMG_1193(1).thumb.JPG.ea9e07b6e6e9b1f86d0372112244b0c9.JPG

The next photo is of the tools I used to do more than 95% of the job. The entire task can be accomplished with these.  The most used was the sanding block and wide sanding stick for all those edges. The files were use mostly to remove the Char/Burn from  the bottom portion of the bulkheads next to the slots, especially those bulkheads with inverse curves.  The narrow sanding sticks and files were used to remove the char/burn from the slots.  Turns out that the largest file's width almost matched the width of the slots.  With just a little bit of light work the large file fit in the slot and finished the job in a very uniform way.

IMG_1194(1).thumb.JPG.c2fb1eb18685531ed88c8e37c4e11728.JPG

Examine your files.  Not all edges will have cutting surfaces. The flat file above is smooth on one edge. It was great in the slot because it did not continue to cut the crotch in the slot. The flat, square and triangle mini files were also great to clean up the slots.

Go Slow and do not be too aggressive. 

PLEASE SEE MY POST FOLLOWING THE TOOL ACQUISITION POST  FOR SOME ADDITIONAL BASIC MODELING TIPS AND TECHNIQUES BEFORE YOU PROCEED TO WORK THE MODEL.

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

Tool acquisition and costs.  

Sanding block--a must have.  You can however make one or more from a block of wood. 

Sand paper in various grades----a must have.  My sanding block has four grades on  it.  60,100,180,and 220.  All of them had adhesive on them to adhere to my block.  However, you can use rubber cement to adhere the paper to the block if you make one. 

File sets---I am sure I will use files from the three sets depicted, but it may not be necessary.  At this point the mini file set(the most expensive from what I am finding out) may not be necessary.  The 5 1/2 and 7 inch sets are very economical as shown below.

Sanding sticks--Go to a beauty supply store and have fun picking them out. They are inexpensive.  Emory boards are free in some hotels and emory boards in the beauty supply are very inexpensive.  They will do just as well as the sanding sticks on this model.   Had I thought about it I would have use them instead.  I just did not reach for them.  

SHIPPING COSTS can make a tool very expensive.  Watch those charges.   I went shopping at Harbor Freight during lunch and look and see what I found.  Can not beat the price.  These tools will get the job done on this boat.

IMG_1225(2).thumb.JPG.40e405ff92764b5dffd7c2e8950fd775.JPGIMG_1226(1).thumb.JPG.fc6fd3b6bbdfa1cc29f25e03bc4030a9.JPGIMG_1227(1).thumb.JPG.68a986659ae02d9c00032f1530e58321.JPG

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

Phil,

As a suggestion, can you post larger pictures?   These old eyes (and I'm sure others have them) a have tough time seeing the detail in them.

Thanks,

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As requested I now have edited all the above posts to provide for Larger Photographs and I will try to remember to do so in the future.

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

SOME BASIC GUIDELINES AS YOU BEGIN TO WORK THE MODEL.

1.     All of the bulkheads should have their letter or number burned into them.  In my kit, bulkhead "E" was not labeled.   If any of your bulkheads are not labeled, you should label them BEFORE you remove them from the sheet.   See the photo above where I have penciled bulkhead E with its letter.

2.     As you work the bulkheads and false keel you should ALWAYS maintain the same orientation of each bulkhead to the false keel.  ALL THE LETTERS AND NUMBERS SHOULD ALWAYS FACE THE BOW/STEM/FORWARD/FRONT/FORE/THE POINTY END of the boat. This will result in each bulkhead having a fixed port and starboard side.  If you do not, you will undo your adjustment to the bulkhead and false keel on one side, causing you to take off more material than needed and then compensating for that error on the other side of the boat.  It compounds the initial error and will require lots more work to fix it.

EDIT   Jim Rogers has suggested a qualification of the above stated ALWAYS rule.   Some kits (Model Shipways Syren) require that you switch the orientation of the bulkheads so that in the fore part of the ship the etched letters face forward and the etched numbered bulkheads face aft.   This is because in this kit, and some others, the laser cutting of the bulkhead also cuts or etches a bevel line in the bulkhead that is necessary for fairing the hull, reducing the amount of guess work in fairing the hull.  It is a line that you will fair the bulkhead or produce the bevel to that etched line. As he says below, and I say above, read the instructions.  5/11/18

The slots in the false keel and the bulkheads ARE NOT UNIVERSAL.  One size does not fit all.  Just look at the plans and the false keel and you will see that the slots on the false keel are not universally deep.   The kit is well designed with Laser precision.  Each bulkhead has it's own slot.  I realize that this may seem an obvious statement, but for beginner's it may not be.  DO NOT DECIDE TO REMOVE ALL of the char from the false keel slots and each of the bulkheads independently and then try and fit the bulkheads into the false keel. Prepare one bulkhead and it's corresponding slot in the false keel simultaneously, and then move on to the next bulkhead and slot. 

4.     You should label with a pencil the slots in the false keel with some of the corresponding bulkhead letters and numbers.   I have marked three on mine.  They are 0 (zero), A,and slot number 1.    And yes, before you ask.   I broke it also.  I blinked, and when I looked down, it was broken.  It fixed very easily however.  More on that later.   You all should accept as a personal challenge getting through the keel prep and setting up the bulkheads without breaking it. IMG_1179.thumb.JPG.ec6bf45efcb99a4cd035761b4ad177c1.JPG

5.     Initially you are just looking for a nice snug dry fit.  Do not force the bulkheads into the slots.  You may split the wood on the keel and bulkhead if you do. You will make the final adjustments when you actually glue them up.

6.     The bulkheads will not magically locate themselves properly orientated to the keel or each other.  Just set them all on the false keel and you will see it.  Some will sit at angles to port and starboard, and others will sit at angles that cause one side to be high and the other side low and others will lean either forward or aft.

Here are photo's of my boat that demonstrates the fine tuning that will be necessary when its time to glue them up.   I did not take the photo before I completed the keel assembly.  I did not skip a step. Preparing the rabbet, bearding line, and keel assembly will be explained in detail later.

IMG_1242.thumb.JPG.95bfc8f66ccb3ce77f84cd14a122bb45.JPGIMG_1246.thumb.JPG.4c7fee662ff27cec1af192c6c0743241.JPGIMG_1247.thumb.JPG.fc0ccca7e67c96f459184c8639d72202.JPG

7.     You should work the boat from the center forward and from the center aft when it is time to glue in the bulkheads.  This will help orientating each successive bulkhead with the one next to it and provide more precision.

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

Thanks Phil.  That helped immensely.     You're doing a great job on this build and on the log.  Very informative.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have decided to use White "Elmer's Glue All" to assemble this model. This was a huge departure for me because I have always used Yellow Wood Glue in the past, either Elmer's Wood Glue or Tite Bond II, both of which are water resistant.  I live in South West Florida, a Very Very High Humidity environment.   I always thought it the best choice for me.  However, over the years I have always met modelers who use white glue and insist they have no issues with it.  The clincher for me was David Antscherl.  I just completed reading his new book, "The Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 and methods of building open boats."  He uses White Glue to build his very fragile small boats.  The advantages white glue has over yellow glue are:

1.     It dries clear!!!!!  Not Yellow.  On an open boat this is a huge advantage.  The glue will allow a neater appearance.

2.     You can more easily remove White Glue.  It comes away with water and as David Antscherl says with alcohol judiciously applied with a very small brush.  The alcohol dissolves it.  You must be careful however because too much alcohol will destroy the bond and the boat will fall apart. 

3.     Because this is a small boat, parts of the interior will be visible. However, many parts will be hidden by floor boards, gunnel, and thwarts.  Removal of Glue from the visible parts is a big advantage to the novice.  It will allow a clean presentation over much of the model.  So there is no mistake what glue I am using, here is a picture.

IMG_1182.thumb.JPG.84886f02ad9c5089e0e85c69f606412c.JPG

As I go through the build there will be opportunities to practice removing the glue before I reach critical areas of the boat. 

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

THE BEARDING LINE

The bearding line is laser burned only on one side(starboard) of the false keel.  How do you transfer it to the port side.?

1.     Copy the plan.

2.     Cut out the bearding area from the plan.

3.     With white glue, glue the profile of the bearding area to the port side of the the false keel.

4.     With a sharp pencil draw the curving line onto the false keel. 

5.     Remove the paper. With any luck, you transferred the line so fast the glue did not set and you can clean up the part with a wet paper towel.  If not it does not matter because you are going to sand and file away all the wood that the paper stuck to.   

See the photo's below.

IMG_1181.thumb.JPG.13e35214848e698f34422f4f97855fdf.JPGIMG_1183.thumb.JPG.6e851aa09183098f0b737dafa4dd65be.JPGIMG_1184.thumb.JPG.46ce3eb1441fbb1e5c8f5566a87e4418.JPG

6.     I then took my #21 scalpel blade(it has a curve) and very carefully cut (a rocking back and forth procedure) an indent on the line to create the same kind of edge on the line that the laser burn did on the starboard side.

Phil Roach

Creating the simulated rabbet/Cutting the Bearding line

The instructions advise, and the kit requires you to create a simulated rabbet  by removing material from the bottom edge of the false keel and the bearding area.   You are required to reduce the material from 3/32nds to 1/32nd on the bottom edge right down the middle of the part.  I decided it would help if I could see where I was going with that.  Luckily I have a sharp pencil and that the benches and locker material in the kit is cut from 1/32nd sheet material.

Get a sharp pencil.  I read years ago, either by Harold Hahn or Charles Davis, that it was amazing that people did not appreciate the usefulness of a really sharp pencil, nor did people generally know how to really sharpen one.  In ship modeling and drafting, ONE MILLIMETER IS A VAST DISTANCE.  A very sharp pencil allows you to draw lines with superior accuracy.  I have used a Mechanical Pentel 0.5 pencil for what now seems my entire life.  I have had this pencil since college and it stays in my tool box.  To get a sharp point on this pencil I simply hold it at an angle to the fine sandpaper on the inside surface (the adhesive edge of the paper wraps around the edge) of my sanding block and sand it down to a very sharp point.

Take the 1/32nd sheet that the locker and benches are made and on a flat surface press that sheet firmly against the bottom edge of the false keel and draw a line on the edge of the false keel all the way around.  You will have to reposition the sheet a few times, especially at the bow. You will end up with a fine pencil line 1/32nd from one edge of the 3/32nds false keel.   TURN OVER the false keel and repeat.   The result will now be that you have two parallel lines drawn down the center of the false keel and their inside edges will 1/32nd a part. 

Now you have a guide to work with and you will work the part to close to the inside edge of the drawn line.   See the photo's below.

IMG_1187.thumb.JPG.0a1b1a011f56f5ba88519c94e6c0bf4d.JPG

IMG_1188.thumb.JPG.42cadc92e9f120af24dca290bbc4ef22.JPG

IMG_1190.thumb.JPG.8bd71c77011d01fe91e91187551041cf.JPG

IMG_1192.thumb.JPG.3cfd46f6014be59148e096739e7cca6d.JPG

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

On 5/6/2018 at 8:25 AM, roach101761 said:

d

“ALWAYS maintain the same orientation of each bulkhead to the false keel.  ALL THE LETTERS AND NUMBERS SHOULD ALWAYS FACE THE BOW/STEM/FORWARD/FRONT/FORE/THE POINTY END of the boat.”

some models have bulkhead markings switch direction in the middle this is where your read the directions advise is paramount.

example from Syren instructions:

NOTE: The scribed sides of each bulkhead should face towards the bow for all lettered bulkheads. They should face towards the stern for all of the numbered bulkheads.

Edited by Jim Rogers
Addition

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Jim and Andy thanks for your support. As Jim advised, I edited my Always rule above regarding the orientation of bulkheads. 

Before I proceed with the method of creating the false rabbet  I wish to advise that I will be constructing a small building board to hold the model while I set up the bulkheads and plank the boat.    I have selected a relatively short piece of 13 layer, birch veneer ply wood.  It was left over from a kitchen remodel years ago.  I picked it up and other scraps before the contractor thew it in the dumpster. I just knew I would need it some day.  I mention it now because it will appear in some upcoming photos being used as an ad-hock tool.  I have found it very useful prior to creating the building board.   If you do not have a suitable piece of scrap, go to Lowes or Home Depot and look at their wood pile of end cuts.  You should be able to find something there for cheap.   You will note that I have already drawn a line down the center. 

IMG_1202.thumb.JPG.8c27e4b5b8c06dd2243f2eda90014d31.JPG

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

Now it is time to remove the material from below the bearding line.

I tried many of my files, sanding block and knives to attempt to get this done. The Sanding block was a fail because my fingers while holding the false keel got in the way at the angle required and I could not see the work piece as I progressed.  

I then tried using my files.  I found that the flat file from the large set worked very well, especially at the edges where the false rabbet will be. Another from the same set with a flat side also worked as well at this part of the task.  I used that building board material, placed on top of my sanding block and used my fingers to hold the false keel in place while I worked the edges with the file in a short circular motion while moving the file forward and aft on the false keel. Putting the building board material on top of my sanding block provided the height necessary from the counter top surface to work the file.  Here is a photo.  No one was around to help take it so my left hand is holding the camera rather that the false keel to hold it in place on the edge of the board. 

IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.664543495967820aeaa4f1e73bc41878.JPG

Go slow.  Do not be in a hurry and take off too much material.  Work one side for a little while and then turn it over and work the other side and Gradually reduce the thickness of the piece. You will soon find the correct angle of the file to establish the rabbet line for the length of the piece.  I found it surprisingly easy.  Stop constantly and look at the bottom to check your progress toward those parallel lines you placed on the false keel.  Do not try and complete it all in one go. 

After some progress I began removing material from the bearding line at the stern.  I tried my knifes and decided it was a no go.  I was not comfortable using them on such a small and CRITICAL PART.    There is only one of these in the kit.   I thought it too possible to take off too much material especially for a beginner.  Shaving wood off a part with a scalpel is best left for larger parts and less critical and replaceable parts and a skill to develop later.   Therefore I continued to use my files.  It is a small part and a small model. There is not a lot of material to be removed.  It may take you awhile to get it done, but take your time and eventually it will get done.   I also used a sanding stick on this part.   Here is a picture of all the files I used to remove the material from the bearding line.  I did use my miniature file set, but strictly speaking it may not have been necessary to use.   Here is a picture of all the tools I used to accomplish this task. 

IMG_1204.thumb.JPG.8def96f8f9213b3d8f1f7c699d9f405f.JPG

Here is my completed false keel.  It does not show very well in the photo.

IMG_1208.thumb.JPG.ed885d4bffdabecabfbff1d02ee3389e.JPG

Here is a photo of the before and after.  A 3/32nds width piece from the sheet and the 1/32nd width false keel and bearding line.

IMG_1207.thumb.JPG.2d570303e79aa6cc9fda20718aa8a46d.JPG

Upon review of this photo, it also does not show very well.  The black line is a portion of one of the pencil lines I left in place.  It is the edge of the bottom portion to the false keel  The material on top of the line is the reduction angle from the full width to the pencil line. 

You will get to a point where you may not be sure if you should take off more material.  I got to that point and put it aside until the next day.  The next day I decided that enough was enough and left the part as it was, remaining pencil line not withstanding.   

Next we will assemble the keel.

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

Stem and keel assembly.  I departed from the instructions.  I wanted a very good fit and bond at the scarf joint between the two parts and I reasoned that attaching this complete assembly to the false keel at one time would be easier and achieve a better result using white glue.  It is apparent from the instructions and his build log here at MSW that Chuck is using CA to assemble some components of the model.  Others here at MSW are also.  CA offers an almost instant bond between two parts and the only clamping necessary is to provide enough pressure for a few seconds with your fingers for the bond to set.  A few seconds later you can add the next part.  In this case the process in the instructions was to attach the stem and then the keel.   CA can be unforgiving and is hard to de-bond and clean up if you make an error.  White glue is very forgiving by comparison.

Remove the char on both pieces.  Be especially careful on the joint to insure that you do not take off too much material.  On a flat surface put the pieces together to insure that they fit together correctly.  Now you should work quickly to apply glue to the joint and press together on the flat surface.  Immediately remove the excess glue from the three exposed sides.   Then continue to press together with your fingers until the bond catches. (The best clamps you will ever own are a matched pair, one each of a right and left hand) Very carefully turn over on the other side, clean any glue off this now exposed side and continue to press.  The glue will set enough for you to pick up the part without movement at the joint to enable you to put a clothespin on the joint to clamp it.  See the photos below and note that the stem and keel fit in the clothespin at the second and smaller indentation.   Then lay it aside for the glue to further set and dry.   The instructions on the glue bottle says it will set in 35 minutes.   I left mine over night, you should too, before removing the clamp and working with the part any further.

IMG_1222.thumb.JPG.9cbca6867bd8a188e5f3988d33bbec82.JPGIMG_1223.thumb.JPG.dceac61e89f7ebe2f7cd682186645950.JPG

Phil Roach

Assembly of false keel to stem and keel.

Now that the stem and keel are together and all the char has been removed from these parts and the false keel, it is time to put them together. How do you attach a 1/32nd sliver of wood to the 3/32nds keel and stem?  You will assemble the parts on a flat surface.  This will position the the false keel right down the middle of keel and stem.  There is still plenty of untouched material on the false keel to enable it to lay flat on the work surface. Here is the procedure I used.

1.     Dry fit the assembly to insure you know it will go together and where you may find it necessary apply initial pressure with your fingers to establish the initial bond.  Make sure the stem piece at the bow is in the correct position according to the plans. 

2.     Have a damp q-tip (NOT WET) or small portion of a paper towel ready to clean up any glue.

3.     Have your clothespins ready to clamp the part.

5.     Put the white glue on the bottom and fore part of the false keel only.  You should do this sparingly.  If any spills over to the sides of the false keel you should wipe it off before you assemble the part to the stem and keel. Work quickly.

6.     Lay the false keel flat on the work surface.  Because the false keel has been tapered, theoretically no glue or very little will come into contact with the work surface.

7.     Position  the stem and keel  onto the false keel at the correct location and press together until the initial bond occurs.   With a damp paper towel very quickly remove any excess glue  from one side of the assembly in the rabbet that has been created.  Be careful not to flood the joint with water or you will dissolve and break the bond.

8.     Turn over the part very carefully and remove the glue from the rabbet on that side. 

9.     Continue to apply pressure with your fingers to allow more time for the initial bond to harden and set.  After a minute or two you should be able to very carefully pick up the part to clamp it with your clothespins.

10.    You will clamp the part first in the middle and work your way forward and aft alternatively.  Middle, then slightly aft, then slightly forward, then aft, then forward etc.

11.     Note from the photo's below that I am using the flat portion on the inside of the clothespin to clamp the two parts together.  I used as many as I could get on the part.

12.     Put the assembly aside overnight to set. 

IMG_1233.thumb.JPG.b1797e3ab10b8f5b00b4bd23113ff6ff.JPG

IMG_1229.thumb.JPG.93ba827936d67bb053eed0df4949af35.JPG

IMG_1228.thumb.JPG.eee1edf3c2ba66289874e1339d197f7e.JPG

Phil Roach

Tool update--the lowly clothespin

You now must have noticed that the clothespin has now become a tool.  Previously it was just holding parts so I could take pictures.  Now it is the most utilitarian clamp you will ever have.  Thus far I have only used one size, the large size, but I do anticipate that  I will use smaller sizes in the future.  Go to a craft store and buy some if you do not have any at home already.  The photo's below are from Michael's and JoAnne's.  The ones they sell are nice and unblemished with no chips or poor parts or wood quality.   As if you need photos, but here they are. 

IMG_1293.thumb.JPG.b6a668842365dfdf77a275a526a83c7f.JPG

IMG_1287.thumb.JPG.3959fa1b77e8d8d6a8ba637e40d771e4.JPGIMG_1237.thumb.JPG.1821de685cf456f023426207b0fb4854.JPG

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

The building board.

This will take me some time to describe.  (I write almost as slow as a build a ship model)  Therefore  it will not be in one post, but in two or three.  With the idea of a beginner in mind I stuck to my rules about hand tools and materials.   Some tools you must have, but I have tried to keep them to a minimum. First the materials. 

You need a board.  Here is a picture of mine again.   It measures about 8" X 3 1/4".  If I had to select again, I would make it longer by two or three inches, so that when the keel passes though the stationary gantry (I will explain below) it will be supported on the other side.   I did not cut this material so it is not exactly squared.

IMG_1202(1).thumb.JPG.20ea5e467fa746e0339a0c9e3faed4b2.JPG

I went to home depot this weekend and took  a look around for cheap building board material.  Below are photo's of the trash bins at the radial saw and vertical saw cutting station.  They are all end cuts or side cuts from the operation.    The best part is that every thing in the two bins was free, because they consider it garbage.   And for the very observant, those are two really nice pieces of red oak in the second bin.   I left them where they lay. 

IMG_1284.thumb.JPG.43d4029257b6763f433397779ffb4a88.JPG

IMG_1285.thumb.JPG.53efa8054ac5ce39e5b6be65e12034cd.JPG

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

As a followup to Phil's post on clothespins (or clothes pegs as they say in the old Empire), here's an easy way to modify these handy tools to produce a much stronger clamp. I post this with Phil's blessing after an exchange of private messages.

cathead_clothespins.jpg.bbf462c17bdfd21d2b6f05a75ef08924.jpg

Start with a regular clothespin (bottom). Disassemble it and reverse the metal spring as shown, flipping both wooden pieces so that the smooth side faces inward (middle). Reassemble so it looks like the top example. It can be fussy to get the second side in under the spring; I lift the spring with a fingernail, wedge the narrow end of the other wooden piece under it, then lever the piece along until the spring falls into place.

The result is a smooth-nosed clamp that has far more holding pressure than the original, and exerts that pressure right at the tip rather than some distance in. This makes it far easier to clamp things in narrow spaces. I suggest getting a variety of clothespin sizes, as the smaller ones can have a very narrow opening range when you do this, while the larger/longer ones have both a wider clamping range and more strength. I use far more of this style than I do unaltered clothespins.