HMS VICTORY 1765 by albert - 1/48

Albert, that is a great log and it is going to be a beautiful model.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Although I am a new member and new to wooden ship building, I have wood working in my resume and can say that this is awesome.

I really like the detail that you have given to make this happen.  I have an HMS Victory that I am "rebuilding" and although daunting...i am learning.  I wish i knew the scale of my ship (I will post questions later) because, I have already ordered wrong size parts.

I will follow this close.

Thanks Sir and Merry Christmas.

Ray

20211221_073117.jpg

You can figure the scale pretty easily.   Measure the maximum breadth midships or the length on the gun deck.  It will not be exact, but should be pretty close for figuring the scale.  Beam of the Victory is 52 feet 10 inches and the length on the gun deck (rabbet to rabbet) is 186 feet (2,232 inches) .   For a scale of 1:96 the length on the gundeck would be  23 1/4", for 1:64 it would be 34 7/8", for 1:48 it would be 46 1/2" etc. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Gaetan for your appreciation of my work, as regards the proxxon milling machines it is true as you say the 230 the mf 70 are much more precise, I use it for wood as if it were a small pantograph, however if registered well it becomes quite precise for small jobs.

Thank you very much Ray and Merry Christmas.

10 hours ago, allanyed said:

You can figure the scale pretty easily.   Measure the maximum breadth midships or the length on the gun deck.  It will not be exact, but should be pretty close for figuring the scale.  Beam of the Victory is 52 feet 10 inches and the length on the gun deck (rabbet to rabbet) is 186 feet (2,232 inches) .   For a scale of 1:96 the length on the gundeck would be  23 1/4", for 1:64 it would be 34 7/8", for 1:48 it would be 46 1/2" etc. 

Allan

Allan, I just went and looked at mine.....it must be 1:96 cause the closest measurement I can come up with is 23(ish)".

That will help a bunch.  

What source do people on the forum like to use?  I don't know the "ship" lingo yet, but the crew or personnel entry on the starboard side frame is missing and need that and other parts......thanks for your reply.

Merry Christmas

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to find a current build to follow and this looks to be an amazing journey. The detail is stunning and you are a master of the art. Bravo!

CraigVT

@Pandemic Hobby

What else are you going to do during a pandemic?

Building: Caldercraft's HMS Victory, DiAgostini's HMS Victory Cross Section & Trumpeter's BB61 USS Iowa (its a big shop).

Built: Occre's Prinze Eugen, Panart's HMS Victory, Corel's HMS Victory Cross Section & Flying Fish, plus a bunch of lobster boats and turtle smacks, model rockets, jet engines, etc.

Waiting on the shelf: Amati's Hannah Ship-in-bottle, Occre's HMS Titanic, Caldercraft's Snake & the New Bedford Whale boat.

She is going to be HUUUGE!!!! What a great build! I admire your skills and I wish I could build one model from scratch in the future.

I will be watching your progress with great interest!

Regards

Tom

Current Builds:

HMS Victory by DeAgostini 1/84

HMS Victory Build

We don't stop playing because we grow old... we grow old because we stop playing...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...