Jump to content

La Jacinthe by Kortes - FINISHED - 1:42 scale - French schooner


Recommended Posts

Dear Colleagues, please let me present my first model made from the ground-up – the model of French military schooner «La Jacinthe». From the drafts of the monography  Jean Boudriot. I used pear tree and painted hornbeam. Scale 1:42 Technical characteristics of the model: length 895 mm, width 285 mm, height 670 mm.

In the process of building I have used as example the works of Dmitriy Shevelev and Slavyan Snarlev. 

I finished my work on the 23 of September 2016. I had a photo report of the work, I decided to post it, maybe it could useful to someone.

My best regards, Alexander.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, you're right, the bunny was my partner in the building process. So I can say I was working under his supervision.

Concerning the caulking - I was using the plastic tape. I posted the process in the theme Friech Boeir Yacht SPERWER by Kortes - 1:30 scale on the page 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I had to work under a constant supervision, I forgot to post  photos at the time.

Although the process of lath bending has been highlighted many times, I would still like to share my experience. I think it could come in handy in the process of covering of the overhang and taffrail. I tried different modes, but decided to use the one that consists in bending the steam-treated plank on the pattern. This complicates the process a bit, making it more time-consuming, but when setting in place, the further  work is much more comfortable. The lath I used is no less than 1,5mm thick, if it’s thick it can be refined using marking gage.

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

Edited by KORTES
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now, some of mistakes…

In order to warn my colleagues, who , just like me , don’t have too much experience, I wanted to highlight my mistake in the process of covering.

More than once in the working process I made sure that THE BEST IS THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. After having completed the covering I  decided , following the example of the Masters, to highlight the joints between the laths a bit. As a result, I haven’t succeeded in it, but I ruined the covering. The reason turned out to be banal – the glue on the plank ends, which wasn’t erased in time.

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

    While this method obviously works well for you, I am wondering why you don't just make the frames, fill the spaces solid with blocking, shape the hull and proceed directly to the finish planking rather than adding two additional layers of sub planking onto your solid blocked and shaped hull?  It seems like a lot of additional work to accomplish the same result.  Or is there a method to your madness?;)  Because as I can say there is no denying the quality of your results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, druxey said:

Well done for doing the planking over again! It's a hard decision, but one I'm sure you are glad of now.

Dear druxey,

Yes, you are right, making this decision wasn't easy, but I had an example of the outstanding Masters in front of me  and I really wanted to get even if for a little closer to their quality of work. In the end I was satisfied with the results, even though I had to redo my work many times. Plus I have gotten experience out of it.

 

19 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

    While this method obviously works well for you, I am wondering why you don't just make the frames, fill the spaces solid with blocking, shape the hull and proceed directly to the finish planking rather than adding two additional layers of sub planking onto your solid blocked and shaped hull?  It seems like a lot of additional work to accomplish the same result.  Or is there a method to your madness?;)  Because as I can say there is no denying the quality of your results.

 

Dear BETAQDAVE,

It's hard to give a definite answer on the choice of the method of making a hull. I found this method used by Snarlev, and at that moment I thought it was the easiest and the least labor consuming.When working on "Sperwer" I used a different method, and I could say that each one has its own advantages.

 

18 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Kortes

 

New planking looks good - how did you remove the old planking?

 

 

Dear KeithAug,

The covering was removed by means of heating by a hot air gun, it wasn't hard due to the fact that I used PVA glue.

 

 

My best regards, Alexander.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have finished the covering of the second broadside.

Sketching and putting treenail in place are still to be done. I’m still trying out on samples. As I will have to drill a lot, the manual drill will not be the best solution, I had to work on and upgrade my mini-drill. I bought it on flea-market a long time ago, but couldn’t find any use of it. Yesterday I installed a small switch and now I’m testing it.

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...