FINISHED - Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder by CDW - Italeri 1:24 Scale

CDW

With a model like this, I like to modify the kit parts just a bit to give it a personal twist. 

Here, I've taken the molded front and rear struts and cut off the top retainers with my razor saw; next I file and sand away the molded on coil spring details; last I wrap soft wire around the strut to make my own coil springs before gluing the retainers back on top.

I like the look after everything is painted more than the molded on look.

DSCN2752.JPG

DSCN2753.JPG

DSCN2754.JPG

I recall some older kits that supplied springs........that was short lived.   great idea for the extra detail file :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Here we have the partially assembled chassis with the engine dry-fitted. Brown flocking has been applied to the floorboards to simulate carpet. The seats and door panels will be a light leather color. The door panels will require some custom work to obtain a higher level of accuracy. What Italeri did was to share the same interior (and other) components between the 250 GTO and the 250 California Spyder. What's accurate for the 250 GTO door panels are not accurate for the California Spyder. While at it, will add some aftermarket photo etch inner door handles, window cranks, and rear view mirror for better accuracy.

She's coming along slowly but surely. I've got several irons in the fire right now and less time to devote to model building. Got a big trip coming up in the next 10 days and really looking forward to it. 

DSCN2755.JPG

DSCN2756.JPG

DSCN2757.JPG

Some really nice detail there - the engine has come up so well.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

look'in really good...never tried the carpet thing :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

look'in really good...never tried the carpet thing :)   

Thanks for the comments, Denis. 

Simulating the carpet is real easy to do. You need the correct color flocking, some watered down white glue, and a strainer to sift the flocking. Get your flooring painted the color you want and after it's dry, brush on a good coat of watered-down white glue where you want carpet. While the white glue mixture is still wet, sift the flocking on top of the white glue, then shake away the excess (flocking). That's it. As easy as that. Just make sure to sift the flocking and not just drop a lump of it down. The results will not be the same and would create a big mess. You can get all colors of flocking on Ebay for a couple of dollars per bag. A bag of it will do a LOT of models. You'll probably never use it all unless you build dozens of models.

revell and Aurora put out animal models back in the day.........likely used the same type of flocking.  it's a nice touch  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

44 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

revell and Aurora put out animal models back in the day.........likely used the same type of flocking.  it's a nice touch  ;) 

Oh yes, I'll bet you could really bring an animal model to life with flock.

I just ordered five more different colors in the 1/2 ounce bags for $2.25 each. 1/2 ounce doesn't sound like much, but it's a lot of this stuff because it's so light and fluffy, almost like dust. On their web, you see woodworkers using it a lot for lining the inside of jewelry boxes, drawers, and things like that. I wonder how durable it would be for that sort of use? Must be decent because it's used a lot. 

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

revell and Aurora put out animal models back in the day

4 hours ago, CDW said:

Oh yes, I'll bet you could really bring an animal model to life with flock.

You obviously didn't see my Perri the squirrel model. I built it and didn't paint it but went straight to the flocking. It ended up looking like the most moth eaten critter you ever saw! It was more like the Zombie squirrel from Hell! :(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I've seen them around.........especially the older Aurora kits :)   I've never done one,  but I would agree that the flocking needs to be sifted onto the model.   I have a project coming up that has four horses.........don't think I'm gonna try it for fear of ruining them.   

I don't recall seeing any Zombie Squirrels on the Walking Dead  ;)  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

I've seen them around.........especially the older Aurora kits :)   I've never done one,  but I would agree that the flocking needs to be sifted onto the model.   I have a project coming up that has four horses.........don't think I'm gonna try it for fear of ruining them.   

I don't recall seeing any Zombie Squirrels on the Walking Dead  ;)  :D 

Lou said he built his models, then without painting them, went straight to flocking. That alone is going to cause issues with the color of the finished job. The surface needs to first be painted the color (or close to it) of the flocking you're going to use. Second, no matter how tempting it might be, you don't touch the flocking until it's thoroughly dry. Touching it before it dries will cause serious issues. If you use white glue as the adhesive for the flocking, you could easily wash it off with water if you didn't like the results. In my view, it's a low risk/no risk proposition.

Not a lot of progress, but something is better than nothing. 

Got my hands on the set of Tamiya polishing compounds with a set of their applicators. Really great stuff as usual from Tamiya. Don't know where you would find anything better for models, it comes with coarse, fine and polishing (extra fine) tubes of compounds. Really makes short work of putting a super shine on your model paint job or for polishing clear plastic. I highly recommend it.

I'll be making some radiator hose next, then paint and build the remainder of the chassis assembly. Most likely won't have time to finish this project before we leave for a vacation.

DSCN2761.JPG

DSCN2763.JPG

DSCN2764.JPG

looks great!........very  well done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thats a cool looking mil.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

13 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thats a cool looking mil.

OC.

Thanks dude. I'm flying out of here in a few more hours...got my bags all packed and thinking about whether there's something I have forgotten to take.

I pack light anyway. My wife and daughter are another story...they pack like...everything. It will cost me when we check in our baggage. 😵

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Thanks dude. I'm flying out of here in a few more hours...got my bags all packed and thinking about whether there's something I have forgotten to take.

I pack light anyway. My wife and daughter are another story...they pack like...everything. It will cost me when we check in our baggage. 😵

All the best on your journey  have fun - stay safe.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

have fun and good luck! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I know you are gone already Craig.

Somehow new posts don't always show up for me for a day or two after they are posted. But just in case you are looking in I hope you are having a good time and building lots of memories. I hope you remembered to pack your camera and can share a little with us stuck-at-homes when you get back.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Great area with beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.

I bet getting to see the Albacore was a plus! Did you get to do the walk through?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Love the pictures.  Beautiful trip you're having.  I'm thinking that little engine might be yard engine for moving cars around.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice views up in the mountains. And even better with the clarity. We get morning fogs in the Smokies, hence that name. The mist hanging in the trees looks like smoke.

Track gauge(space between the rails) looks to be standard spacing of 4'8". Most logging roads tended to build at 3 foot gauge, quicker to lay that track and cheaper to build. They'd use tree trunks for ties, since they didn't expect them to last more than the time it took to harvest the wood. Like Mark said, it's a yard engine or "goat".  Not big/heavy enough to haul more than a small handful of cars on flat track.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild