HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Matt D 1:48

On 4/8/2023 at 8:30 AM, Chuck said:

Lovely!!!

Thanks for saying that, Chuck!  And thank you for making this project happen.  It means a lot to me that you put in the amazing work to bring this to us.

On 4/8/2023 at 9:13 AM, Rustyj said:

The wow keeps coming. Very nice matt!

Thanks, Rusty!  I’ve been lucky to get some time to work on her lately.  With spring sports starting, it’s going to get tougher soon.

On 4/8/2023 at 9:46 AM, James G said:

Agree with JJ. That black really makes everything pop!

Thanks, Jim!  I agree with you and JJ, too. 

4 hours ago, westwood said:

Beautiful work Matt and btw I like the simulation of the iron on the stove.

Thanks, Dusan.  This is the first time I’ve ever tried weathering.  I used pastels because I as able to get a lot of colors.  I mixed some dark grey with a deep rust red.  To use the pastels, I scraped them with a blade into a dish.  Then I applied them with a brush.  

On 4/8/2023 at 9:18 AM, scrubbyj427 said:

Once I got the caprails on it felt like I rounded the corner for the finish line for sure, not only did It give the appearance of an “almost” finished model but the black added a much needed contrast to all the red and bare wood that needed to be covered. Looks good Matt, you’re closing in.

Thanks, JJ.  And thank you to everyone who liked my previous post.

About those cap rails:  I have a problem and need advice.  You can see in the pictures that I have a gap between the beam clamp pieces and the curved cap pieces.  This will look awful if I don’t fill that in.  I think the best course of action is to cut the beam clamp back to the beam and then make a new piece out of 3/64 stock.  Does that sound like a good idea, or is there a better option?

EAB42C40-C31A-463E-8637-0551E95ACF2E.jpeg

CCF47A02-83D7-4BDC-9D91-BD002E5CDB5D.jpeg

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Hi Matt,

I think because the scroll work has been placed on the outboard side the only thing you can do is either fill it or replace a portion of the clamp. For me I'd redo the clamp. I'm not sure where I'd make the cut though. It should be somewhere accessible where you can get to it in case you need a little filler and sand to hide the joint. If you think you can get a nice tight joint at the first beam then that's where I'd do it. If you have to use a little wood filler only you will know if you don't tell us. :D Trust me there's some on my Winnie!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Yes that is best.  Just make a new piece after cutting the clamp away.  It shouldnt be too difficult and its exactly what I would do.

I agree for what it’s worth, cut a new piece at the first seam, minimize filler. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you guys for looking at this.  That seems like the most sensible way to fix it.  I'll get to work carefully cutting the clamps back.  I probably won't have anything to post for a couple of weeks.  Between my two kids, we've got 3 lacrosse games and a track meet this week.  I'm also hoping to go walleye fishing on Saturday.  And I have to travel for work next week.  April and May are going to kick my butt.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

• 2 months later...

I’m nearly done with chapter 9 and want to show some of my progress.  As you can see, it hasn’t been without problems.  I broke the forecastle rail on both sides.  I’ve repaired the port side, which broke at the third timberhead opening while I was sanding the edge.  The starboard broke the same way, but got much worse while I was trying to finish the installation.  It was back together and then came apart while I was trying to slide the rail into the right elevation.  I’m going to let the glue dry on the timber heads and then fix the railing.  I’m pretty sure I can fix it and hide the repair.

B65AE926-5ADD-471E-B36A-6C93561CB0EA.jpeg

F4A36039-F3C8-4AE1-9CA9-57427C9B721D.jpeg

658DB945-0FE5-4AF8-9E41-9611707A894A.jpeg

Edited by Matt D
Type

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Nice work on chapter 9! Looks really good Matt. I broke all the same pieces as well! They are very fragile and snap very easy.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Where’s the fun if we don’t break stuff and have to fix it.  Great looking work Matt, well done!

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Where’s the fun if we don’t break stuff and have to fix it.

3 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

I broke all the same pieces as well! They are very fragile and snap very easy.

Thanks, JJ and Glenn.  I'm glad to know I'm not alone in breaking stuff.  Sometimes I feel like I should go back to my old hobby of making ochre paintings on my cave walls.  Model ships might be too sophisticated for me.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I also broke both pieces, one of them twice.

Having bought both cherry and AYC packages for Chapter 9 I found the cherry pieces to be less susceptible to breakage and used thin CA on the entire piece before handling it too much to try and stiffen it up some. I am not sure it helped but I did get the starboard side done without breaking the cherry piece. I "think" I have the port side ready for final install and have not broken that one yet.

Thanks,

Gary

Current Build -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Matt, this really great work!  It all looks ver crisp.

Regards,

Glenn

Thank you, JJ, Chuck, Glenn, and Frank!  I'm really happy with how it is turning out and excited to get started on Chapter 10.  Chuck, this is an amazing project and I really appreciate your excellent work to create it.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

• 4 months later...

Welcome back to my Winchelsea build log.  Once again, I’ve neglected it for several months.  I’m working on chapter 10 and have finished planking down the center of the quarter-deck.  The outboard planks were very challenging, and I’m pretty happy with my results.  I did manage to screw up the binnacle to the point that I’ll be reaching out to Chuck for a new one.  And I think I will leave it bright to match my capstan.  I’m now starting to clean up the breast rail uprights.  This will take me a while because I plan to leave them bright like Chuck’s.

IMG_4258.jpeg

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4254.jpegIMG_4259.jpeg

Edited by Matt D
Rearranging photos

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

I’d like to leave mine bright but char removal is a limited skill for me.  Still looking great and glad to see you back at it. 

Regards,

Glenn

Very nice Matt. Good to see your back at it. Looking forward to more! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks, JJ, Glenn, and Rusty.  And thank you for the likes.  Happy New Year!  I’m working on the breast rail and not quite ready to show any pictures of it.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,  just read through your whole log in 1 day; and I must say that your model of Winnie looks really good.  I can only hope to build one just as good as yours.  I will be following along now, even though I'm a little late to the party.

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful

On 1/11/2024 at 3:22 AM, KennyH78 said:

I will be following along now, even though I'm a little late to the party.

Thank you for your nice comment, Kenny.  You’re starting at a great time, because there are so many members at various chapters.  This is a very helpful group.  I hope you have as much fun building yours as I am having with mine.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Here is the breast rail and ship’s wheel.  The ship’s wheel is just sitting in place and has not been glued down, yet.  I started by cleaning the uprights with 320 grit sandpaper, jeweler’s files, and a number 11 blade.  Then I carefully adjusted the fit in the lower rail and the bottom piece of the upper rail.  I made sure the fit was good before gluing the top and bottom pieces of the upper rail together.  I painted the rails before assembling and then used a brush to apply wipe on polyurethane to the whole assembly after it was all together.  I used a clear gel glue for assembling everything.  I used an Emory board to adjust the fit of the uprights to the deck.  I pinned the breast rail at the outboard uprights, hoping that gives them a little bit better bite using medium CA to attach the railing to the deck.  

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4275.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4272.jpeg

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Very nicely done Matt, you spent some time sanding char off and it paid off. The bright work looks really good.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship