FINISHED - Triumph 3 HW Motorcycle by CDW - Italeri - 1:9 Scale

CDW

Just out of interest  - for any future builds you guys are doing  etc  - can you get scale metal chains  for bikes?   thought they would look supweb.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

57 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Just out of interest  - for any future builds you guys are doing  etc  - can you get scale metal chains  for bikes?   thought they would look supweb.

OC.

Yes you can, but I don't know of any in this scale 1:9. I have some for my Tamiya motorcycle kits in 1:12 scale. They are a real challenge to assemble. Very small photo etch links and pins. It comes with a tool/jig to assemble the parts.

8 hours ago, CDW said:

but I don't know of any in this scale 1:9

https://www.hiroboy.com/19_Motorcycle_Chain_Set--product--9921.html

Looks like it is possible but the price! :stunned:😭

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

https://www.hiroboy.com/19_Motorcycle_Chain_Set--product--9921.html

Looks like it is possible but the price! :stunned:😭

Yeah, this stuff is not cheap, but dang, it's a really nice touch if someone is going all out to super detail a model. My Triumph is not worthy of this. I'm happy with out-of-the-box on this one.

11 hours ago, lmagna said:

I think that if you make two circles that are the same size as the sprockets and place the "Chain" around them at he right distance, you can then hit the chain with a hair dryer. The heat should build a new memory.

You get a gold star for this suggestion, Lou.

I used a mandrel to properly shape the chain for the rear sprocket, then clamped some hemostats to the opposite end of the chain and let them hang down to give the chain a stretch and put it in a correct shape. Next I heated it up with a hair dryer and that did the trick. The vinyl chain held that shape.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

You get a gold star for this suggestion, Lou.

Nice to know that I can get it right at least once.

Could you do me a favor and drop my wife a note? I am pretty sure she will decide I paid you for the endorsement but who knows? 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

13 hours ago, CDW said:

Good suggestions, thanks for that. I'm going to try warm/hot water first and then the hair dryer if the water doesn't work.

YES   get it hot and instantly put it in the refrigerator freezer leave it in there for 30 min  the quick cooling retains the memory of it.

that's why I asked how you were doing with the tubing.......I ran into that problem.   some of mine was a bit stiff and really hard to remove the bends,  to get it how I wanted it.   heat does work,  but I also stuffed it with bendable brass wire of the same ID.   poses real good after that!  :D 

awesome progress so far........how did you not get that green on the tire and areas where you didn't want it?  I paint my parts before assembly.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 minute ago, popeye the sailor said:

how did you not get that green on the tire and areas where you didn't want it?  I paint my parts before assembly.

Thanks Denis

The tubing has not been a problem. The vinyl the chain was cast from was much different...a hard grade of vinyl and not very flexible.

As for the paint, a little masking tape here and there; low air pressure on the airbrush, and paint reduced for better flow at low pressure. With some practice, you can get the airbrush to put paint where you want it without over spray issues. You just have to be aware of your angles when shooting the paint and use masking where over spray is definitely going to be an issue. My airbrush can spray a line of 1/16 of an inch if the air pressure is right and the paint reduced correctly. practice, practice, practice. experiment with air pressure and paint viscosity, then practice some more. 🙂

might be hard for me.........I'm like a bull in a china shop :D  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

21 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

might be hard for me.........I'm like a bull in a china shop :D  :D 

You need to sit down or stand still when spaying denis  - no good running around,😝

Looking great mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Made a little more progress while going through steps 12, 13, 14, and 15.

Ran into a couple of issues with the front and rear axles. Seems as though the axle provided for the front wheel is a bit too short. Styrene rod to the rescue. Will transplant some hex head nuts on each end of the rod and it will be good to go.

The green filter changes color a bit when viewed from different angles depending on the light source. 

DSCN3103.thumb.JPG.964148b64bf0ff2e031968404cca92b0.JPGDSCN3104.thumb.JPG.24088bb6d3d886e0c3e9c1ba215db058.JPGDSCN3105.thumb.JPG.5601dd0dc5a17b0a9d59a13e2c986da8.JPGDSCN3106.thumb.JPG.14a62d4f34de7f7729211d67734a877a.JPG

looking great 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

look'in sweet!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

17 hours ago, CDW said:

Made a little more progress while going through steps 12, 13, 14, and 15.

Ran into a couple of issues with the front and rear axles. Seems as though the axle provided for the front wheel is a bit too short. Styrene rod to the rescue. Will transplant some hex head nuts on each end of the rod and it will be good to go.

The green filter changes color a bit when viewed from different angles depending on the light source. 

DSCN3103.thumb.JPG.964148b64bf0ff2e031968404cca92b0.JPGDSCN3104.thumb.JPG.24088bb6d3d886e0c3e9c1ba215db058.JPGDSCN3105.thumb.JPG.5601dd0dc5a17b0a9d59a13e2c986da8.JPGDSCN3106.thumb.JPG.14a62d4f34de7f7729211d67734a877a.JPG

Looking superb mate   happy thanksgiving to you and the family.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking superb mate   happy thanksgiving to you and the family.

OC.

Thanks OC. It was a great day today. All my children and grand children were here (and some are still here) to visit, talk, laugh, and eat the great food my wife and I prepare for these holidays. We got up real early this morning and I am now ready for some sleep.

glad to hear you had a great day :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Beautiful job on this model CDW.  In so many of the photos it looks just like the real thing.  Fantastic job on the paint.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

This may be the final photos I do for the Triumph. Just need to decide on whether or not to add the saddle bags and/or the helmet and sub machine gun. I kinda like it as it is and may leave it like this. Either way, it's been a fun little project and this is the way I like them...short and sweet but satisfying. This model filled the bill. Remarkable quality for a kit that's been around for so long, more than 40 years.

Thanks to everyone who followed along, and especially for your likes and comments. See ya soon with something new.

DSCN3107.thumb.JPG.27ca971d29f458f070d7d509b5a2e976.JPGDSCN3108.thumb.JPG.a88bf54b388bf00e9d172f5f6a87e6ca.JPGDSCN3109.thumb.JPG.9de992eabf5a8ee584200fad862970c8.JPGDSCN3110.thumb.JPG.364fdb5b088a9539f2f770e66cd45efd.JPGDSCN3111.thumb.JPG.7f6a820f1fca0f680152921bc644763b.JPGDSCN3112.thumb.JPG.ebc240f0ef1f2e0a692bef25f857131f.JPGDSCN3113.thumb.JPG.2f4d1f260004615cc26e04b2fd16cd10.JPGDSCN3114.thumb.JPG.df8030e42135ea3000abdcbb105165d9.JPG

nice treatment on the seat!  very nice bike..........well done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Superb   - looks the real thing  - find a place where you can admire you work mate  - dont hide it in the man cave,

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice model.

Well done , it was great  to follow this build

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

now....that would be something to model!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: