Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

thanks for the likes and good comments :)  this has gone better than I thought it would.  the faring process met with a couple of loose ribs, but it has been done.  I also adapted the jig yet again......this time I shimmed it up to cut 1.8 x 3 mm planking in half {thickness}.  without a good guide to keep the scroll saw blade from going side to side,  it was trying.....but I went slowly and it worked out well enough.

how many of those boats do you have for the Titanic Gary?  that's gonna be quite a process ;)

I wish I could answer you all.......your comments are on the last page,   and I can't review them....your all just too kind  :)     I have more to add.......but work time calls,  and I got to get ready....still need to take Gibbs out as well for his morning jaunt.....I hope we don't see another skunk,  like last Monday  ;)   see you all tonight!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice creative thinking.  Keep it up.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Popeye nice job on planking the plastic boats they came out real good.Great details on your half moon you are the wizard for this.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

jeeze.......thanks for all the kind words........when I first did it for the Nordkap,  I didn't know what to expect.   I knew I was too green to do a scratch built one,  like I've seen some of you folks do.  the only wood one I've done so far was the one I did for the Susan A.   I've managed to get the skin of CA off my fingers.......don't think I like a world without touch.   the two plastic boats.....I have a feeling that they will find a home on the trawler {if I can fit them}.  I like the way the scratch boat came out.......I did have to use some filler on it,  but I'm hoping that stain will work out.   I'm sure that once the interior of the plastic boats are filled in.......it will hide the plastic aspect quite nicely ;)

thanks to all of you for the comments and likes........I am humbled for the interest you've shown.   I have the update on the scratch built boat......I hope you enjoy it just as much!  :)

can't wait to see what you do with your Gary........what an assembly line!  ;)

I've never done a metal boat Lawrence.........I think that would make me join the folks doing other builds I've seen, that were unhappy with the supplied parts.  they elected to make scratch built boat.   there is a lot of satisfaction in taking what is supplied,  and making it work.  I'm sure you have pictures with your ship's boat in them........I'll have to take a closer look  ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

OK........on with the mini armada! :D     I used some of the leftover thin Annegre that I had cut for the United States build, for planking the plastic boats.   for the interior of these two,  I will add in the keel,  the ribs,  and detail them out.   I think that will kill the plastic look.

that jig I made has served me a few uses........cutting down the Annegre,  then the block of rib parts,  and for the latest bit of progress........cutting 1.8 x 3 mm strip stock,  in half,  to around 1 x 3 mm.  it's not quite 1 mm.........taking into account fore the thickness of the blade.........I'm glad I found the other blades I bought for the scroll saw.   I had to shim the jig on both sides to center the strip stock,  and then work very slowly,  to run them through.   to give you an idea of what this looks like, here are a couple of pictures.

post-612-0-78950000-1403399533_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-23101500-1403399545_thumb.jpg

I began to plank the frame,  sanding it as I went along.

post-612-0-14220900-1403399663_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-65043600-1403399675_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-63204100-1403399684_thumb.jpg

soon,  I had one side done

post-612-0-38467000-1403399714_thumb.jpg

I had started to plank the other side......a couple of rows,  to keep it from warping...and so nothing else would break off.

post-612-0-52054300-1403399736_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-39065400-1403399888_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-73159300-1403399904_thumb.jpg

it's finally done

post-612-0-88130000-1403399953_thumb.jpg

here is the relation to size of these boats.........the plastic one would be out of scale

post-612-0-55628100-1403400043_thumb.jpg

I added the keel to one of the plastic boats.

post-612-0-04377900-1403400109_thumb.jpg

....and a shot of the interior,  of the wood boat  :)

post-612-0-76108800-1403400234_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Magnificent work Popeye!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Great!! job on the boats Popeye...... they came out real nice.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thank for the good word...I really appreciate it  ;)    first hurdle over and done! 

I plan to do that John......with the interior in place,  I don't think they'll look plastic.  more down the road  ;)

thanks Matti  Piet  and Frank!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Splendid work Popeye, good choice to scratch your ships boat and it's looking real good mate.

As for the plastic boats I did exactly the same on my Badger and I was really happy with the results, these boats can be made to look good with a little imagination and my friend you have that in bucket loads.

Keep it up mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Popeye, where is a picture of the scroll saw jig?  Sounds like something I could use.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Bob.......the pictures of the jig can be found on page 7 of the United States build.      the one thing about the jig,  is that there is still the threat of the blade going side to side,  altering the desired cut.   I'm using a thin blade......good for cutting sharper curves.   I suppose if you were to use a thicker blade.....like a band saw blade,  this problem would lessen considerably.   I found that you can use a scroll saw as a plainer and table saw.......but there's nothing like the real thing.   something I should keep in mind for the future  ;)

thank you very much Mobbsie....it shows me where my wood inventory is lacking ;)   I think the continuance of the plastic boats should go towards the trawler log.........boy.....didn't I deviate form that build in a hurry!  :D  :D   I will get back to it.......but I will also continue with the scratch boat.......I need to get it stained like the Half Moon now........fun.....fun.....fun!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks, I'll have to make one.

Bob

pretty easy to make Bob.......perhaps yours will come out better........movable guards? ;)

I made some more progress with the boats........staining them was a big first step!   no paint on the outside for me,  John........I promised you......remember!  ;)     

post-612-0-13111700-1403808395_thumb.jpg

the last picture you will see of all three together.........the scratch built boat got the Half Moon color.   I gave it a shot of the mahogany stain.  the other two have gone to the trawler Syborn build.

post-612-0-37366200-1403808493_thumb.jpg

staining the hull of the boat.......I got a good idea where the bleed throughs were.  to remedy that,  I spread a thin coat of fill to the inside of the hull,  evening it off with a piece of wood.

post-612-0-21133800-1403808650_thumb.jpg

I was going to paint the gunwales with a brown paint........but I ended up staining them instead.  I figured that if the accents for the interior were going to be stained......it may as well too.   the interior is painted a flat red.

post-612-0-71745900-1403808824_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-91967400-1403808834_thumb.jpg

the floor was created next.......made on the table and fitted in place.   it wasn't cemented in until after it was stained.

post-612-0-10620700-1403808940_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-94595600-1403808952_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61580200-1403808971_thumb.jpg

I was curious how this would look aboard ship,  so I brought her out and set her up as a dry fit.  I might be a little off as far as where everything goes......don't hold me to the layout  :)

post-612-0-65301500-1403809093_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-57099400-1403809104_thumb.jpg

just for you J...........I know!   I pined and cried for the Moon,  because I didn't have those tack line decorations.   ..........and what did I do when I got them........drilled them and left them lying around on my table,  for god and everyone to knock'em off!  happy to say that they are in the works!   I painted them with a flat red........but I'm beginning to wish I could sand blast them.....that finish doesn't hold paint for #&%@!

post-612-0-80300800-1403809549_thumb.jpg

I used the dark stain to give them a bit of weathering......but it caused the paint to become solvent and move around.  the finish showed through.   I brought out the red again,  and touched them up.  the stain mingled with the paint,  but they look a bit too red again.  after I took these pictures,  I took a q-tip and dabbed them a little......they look much better.   I'll give them a shot of flat coat before I even try to handle them.  it's fine.........I still have to map out their location anyway

post-612-0-72476600-1403809841_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68723400-1403809868_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just impressed ... and depressed thinking about my boats

I like this!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks Nenad.........there is quite a bit of info here about these small boats.    some use a plug to make them,  and some have these mini kits waiting for them in their builds.   you may elect to scratch build them........but you might also look into some of the kit manufacturers that offer them.   I'm sure someone can help you better than I can........I tend to fly by the seat of my pants......I do it so much......I got grab handles!  :D  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Your HM launch is looking good and the lion's heads are coming along, I had the same issues with mine...I ended up hitting them with a flat clear... painting them red... flat clear... brown acrylic wash... flat clear... red dry brush...flat clear...red highlight...flat clear...well you get the picture, I'm surprised they didn't turn out an inch thick :D :D  any way even with all that they need to be handled with kid gloves.  Still working on the masts for mine, mast cap blocks are fighting back...the kit ones just suck, all made from end grain, already broke 2,  hole spacing is bad, anyway I'm in the process of making new ones. 

Nice work on your Moon

J

Wow, Popeye, you have been busy!  That little boat looks really terif there on deck!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Your HM launch is looking good and the lion's heads are coming along, I had the same issues with mine...I ended up hitting them with a flat clear.

Lions heads....is that what they are? I though that they were raspberries that had been out in the sun too long. :D

Very nice work on the little boats Denis

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

hello popeye   its looking vary nice so far keep up the great work 

You're in warp drive!  Great work on those boats, love the staining.  And it all comes together on deck.  Smiling widely over here!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks J......yea, that finish on them is a real problem. would have been better if they were lead or something...but they are done. I'll hit them with a spray, so I don't have to use a brush. thanks for the good word ;)

thanks Piet, John, and Bindy. still more to go......hopefully I can finally cement all these parts on her permanently. that will mark a huge leap in the progress dept. thanks for the good word!

thanks Michael.....yea, even the camera doesn't like them :D :D I can't get a good picture of them...no how! I'm just glad that I could get them.....can't wait to see them on the build! thanks for the good word!

thanks Dragzz......hope to see an update on your build soon! ;)

thanks Ferit......so good to have you here! looking forward in seeing more of your fine work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Augie......gotta finish that darn hull work, so I can feel good about getting all the parts on the deck. don't want to do it before I do! :) thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: