Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

I was hoping to get these up before now.......    stuck with a moment to spare,  I did a little bit to the ship's boat.  some eye bolts need to be added to the hold,  as well as the remaining seats for the boat itself.

post-612-0-11796300-1447689197_thumb.jpg

when this part of the assembly was done,   this is how it looked.

post-612-0-62208500-1447689251_thumb.jpg

I want to add a little more to it,  so I went into the oars I made for the Susan A build.......I had made quite a few in order to come up with a couple of matching pairs.   sadly,  they look a bit too big........it's looking like I'll need to make them.

post-612-0-02126400-1447689412_thumb.jpg

I'm glad I bought that package of small dowels.........they are smaller than the ones I used to make the other ones.  I have one that is close to where it needs to be.......more when I have the time  ;)

post-612-0-63086200-1447689615_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Magic of wood. So called "wood force". Very strong with you.

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

You are one busy little beaver!!!! :D ..... things are looking real good Denis...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks to you all for the kind comments....>fighting with a very slow computer right now<   Billing's has no reference to the making of oars, nor the rigging to lash it down with.....I'll try to wing it  ;)   I had assembled five oars,  the same way I did the larger ones.   the smaller dowels worked well.

post-612-0-85879800-1448031870_thumb.jpg

I may have shown this earlier......one of them has started to be sanded to shape.  

post-612-0-27071700-1448032062_thumb.jpg

now that they are all sanded to some kind of shape.....they need to lose that  'paddle'  look.   I did the first one.

post-612-0-55030800-1448032188_thumb.jpg

....perhaps a bit more.....but the other soon had the same shape.   very hard to get them to look all the same

post-612-0-07497000-1448032313_thumb.jpg

compared to the other set,  they look much smaller.   they probably should be scaled down a bit more,  but they are good enough for me.

post-612-0-18021000-1448032421_thumb.jpg

they were stained after a little more sanding.........and four of them were cemented on the ship's boat.    the next thing to do,  is come up with a good way to lash her down.

post-612-0-17192600-1448032643_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

AHA!  The stain brings everything together.  Nice work, Popeye!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sweet! And sandy ;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nicely done Popeye, well "winged"!  

- Bug

the next thing to do,  is come up with a good way to lash her down.

I would suggest small ropes :P :P :P :P

I like your sense of humor J............takes so much of the guess work out of it  :D  :D    thanks everyone for the good word and the likes.........I didn't get to go much further so far......errands,  don'tcha know  ;)    back to work at Wally  {Wal-Mart} for the weekend.   I'm working on a few ideas.......and the  'other' project is keeping me busy as well.   I think I nee to let the cat out of the bag soon........before it gets too big!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Little boat looks great, Denis.   You have eyebolts underneath it.  Just run the lashing from one over to the other.. 2 lashings.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Denis,

I've been following along mate and it's all coming together really nicely, I do like your ships boat and the colour looks great.

With regard to the boats lashings may I be so bold as to show what I did to mine.

These are the boats from my Agamemnon, eyebolts are attached to the boat stands and rope passed over the top through a 2mm single block and then back on themselves.

Hope that helps mate.

post-493-0-07110100-1448094263_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-21139900-1448094284_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-74723400-1448094308_thumb.jpg

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks Gents........those boats look really sweet Mobbsie  ;)      yea.......I'm sure I have some 2 mm blocks around here somewhere.  with this era of ship,  I'm sure it's nothing too fancy ;)

working this morn........I'll see what spare time I have this afternoon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

it's been a while..........the ship's boat has been on the table long enough.   I didn't have any 2 mm blocks on hand......just what they gave me in the kit.   I used what I had.   I had stained some rope  {thread} to give it some age.......didn't think that white lashings would look right.   it's done in rope and tackle.....one on each side,  in kind of a cris cross style.   I added a couple of cleats to the hold to tie the lashings off.  these first two pictures aren't that great.......I did this on my desk,  since there was no room at either table.

post-612-0-10683900-1450372392_thumb.jpg

this is what I started off with........I made up more rope as I went along.    really have to build up my inventory of blocks.

post-612-0-14450900-1450372478_thumb.jpg

one side done and tied off to the cleat.  after both sides were done,   a couple of rope coils were made to hide the end of the rigging at the cleat.

post-612-0-92860800-1450372529_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-08680200-1450372589_thumb.jpg

from here,  it was cemented on the main deck.   there is a little more that needs to be done,  and then the masts can be set in place.

post-612-0-55387900-1450372671_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-71222200-1450372683_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks real nice Denis.......... Did you finish the Goth??

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks for the kind word and the likes.  feels good not having to worry about the boat getting lost in the clutter  :D  :D

thanks Frank.........sadly,  no on the Goth.....I still need to access the damage from her latest fall from the shelf a few weeks ago  {my doing}

thanks John.........I wanted something unique....and keeping in mind that techniques back then were not as refined as they are now-a-days  ;)

thanks Brian........I could go on about the detail I've added......and the fact that some of it came from the Corel kit.  the ship's boat was actually plastic.....it got planked over.   I think Billing and Corel go hand in hand as far as quality goes.......and in the hands of folks who see more in a kit {like we do},  added detail is an absolute must  ;)   you and J are a tough act to follow  ;)

thanks J.........I think I'm past the half way point........I think?!?!   chain plates.....masts,  yards,  rigging.........yea...it will be a while yet  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick..........very soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking really good Popeye Denis.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Denis,

Well done with the boat lashings mate, she could go round Cape Horn in a force 10 and that boat wouldn't move. :D  :D

H.M. is looking really very good, so neat and tidy.

I hope you all have a lovely Christmas mate and that 2016 brings nothing but Happiness, Health and Prosperity.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally in the process of getting caught up...........thanks all for the kind comments.   hoping to start on the chain plates soon.......ordered some parts to make it easier.   

hope you all had a great Christmas....{mine was really nice ;) }..........and I wish you a very happy New Year  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 years later...

Hi Popeye

My name is Julian and Im also building an Imai 1/40 Half Moon.

Your log has been a great inspiration and very informative therefore saving me lots of headaches since this is my first big wooden model ship.

For many years I built and compete with lots of plastic models so it was time for me to take a big leap and tackle the wooden kits.

So I started with the Laughing Whale "Friendship Sloop" and the "Cat Boat".

After taking a bit of confidence is when I started to build my very old Imai Half Moon 1/40.

But.....in one of your post I could see the actual Billing Boats blueprints for this project. They look very informative for the rigging process.

Sadly my Imai instructions does not go that far, so here Im asking you if it would be possible to buy a set of this prints from you or if any of the fellow modelers could tell me where to get them from.

Thank You for you beautiful work with this model.

Sincerely,

Julian

Hello Popeye..

Hope you are well.  Just thought I'd say hello and let you know that the admiral and I are okay.  It's been a long time since I posted anything on this site but when I received an email regarding Julien's post I wanted to send you our regards.

Best,
Jerry

hello Julien,   I looked in the Billing USA site...they have downloadable instructions on quite a few of their models.  unfortunately,  the Half Moon is not one of them.  I looked in the Billings Danmark site and found that it has been discontinued.  I will dig them out and see what can be done.

hello Jerry! :)   good of you to pop in!  glad to hear you and Charlene are doing well through all this.......we are also well.   so many have died........a very sad thing to happen in our world :(   anyway,  it's also good to know you still look in from time to time......very nice of you to think of me.....I appreciate it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 10:50 PM, popeye the sailor said:

hello Julien,   I looked in the Billing USA site...they have downloadable instructions on quite a few of their models.  unfortunately,  the Half Moon is not one of them.  I looked in the Billings Danmark site and found that it has been discontinued.  I will dig them out and see what can be done.

hello Jerry! :)   good of you to pop in!  glad to hear you and Charlene are doing well through all this.......we are also well.   so many have died........a very sad thing to happen in our world :(   anyway,  it's also good to know you still look in from time to time......very nice of you to think of me.....I appreciate it.

Thanks for the effort.

I will be anxiously waiting.

From the one picture of the plans you post, I can see lots of details I need.

I will post pictures of my model today when I learn how to do it.

Thanks a million.

Julian