Converting a Backyard Shed into a Model Workshop

Well, this week didn't exactly go according to plan....

I did receive the portable a/c unit I had purchased on Monday and let it sit upright overnight (as recommended). I began installation Tuesday morning and by noon had the exhaust hose port & cover located and hose in place. Got the unit in place and turned it on. Well it kicked the breaker 3 times so I put in a 20Amp CB. Kicked that twice. Shut it off, called Black & Decker and then Amazon. Both said "send it back - full refund". So, Tuesday a.m. UPS picks it up and there we are - still hot & humid and sweating like a pig!!! Do pigs really sweat? I don't think so!!! Amazon, by the way, was very responsive to having me return it for a full refund + a promotional bonus for the trouble, so I can't fault them. 

I went back to further research this item and found that others had actually posted the same problems and really put the KIBosh on this model. I should have seen this, but was reading favorable reviews on the B&D website, not Amazon. My Bad, right?

So, one the refund is credited, etc. I will more than likely purchase a Whynter port. a/c w/heat that has gotten very good reviews/ratings and will be somewhat oversized for my sq. footage, but this may be compensated by the very hot/humid weather when everything is considered.

In the meantime I received 2 bookcases and have now assembled them and located & loaded them up! I have one more on order and hopefully will have enough shelf space to contain everything. I hope so!! Today I finished two scratch built sliding drawers on either side of my workbench station. The drawers were a couple that I had been hanging on to for a while, so now they've found a home!

1594082962_SmallToolsDrawers.thumb.jpg.c0c73d4e1b1ce3af62599074bdaa8fb7.jpg1144063406_RtDrawer.thumb.jpg.7539f27193699888234dca93432c33d0.jpg

I will probably make a couple partitions in each drawer for small tools & accessories that I use frequently. I'm working in the cooler mornings and evenings until the a/c situation can be concluded satisfactorily. As you can see, the worksurface is a complete mess - chaos at its finest!!! But, things will get stowed, it's just a matter of deciding what goes where, etc. I do hope to at least get one more good coat of floor paint down before too long and before more things take up space. Maybe next week might be a good time for that.

With the fall Beaufort, NC Wooden Boat Show now officially cancelled, I have a bit more time to do my repairs on NEW JERSEY before starting on a completely new project (USS STODDARD DD-566). So, construction continues, although at a slower pace, etc.

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Well, still waiting on the Amazon refund to process, so only working in short sessions during more agreeable temps, etc. With a light off/on rain going on, I got out and did some more stowing of things. This idea of actually stowing away modeling tools, etc. is foreign to me - at the old location down east for 18 years I simply piled everything on a table behind me and dove in when necessary to find something. :omg: Now, with an actual shop to set up and arrange, I'm finding this an effort and actually sort of tiring. So, I thinks to meself….why not hire a professional, an arranger to do the task???? Well, I had forgotten that according to the Watch, Quarters, & Station Bill, The Admiral is in charge of these personnel decisions and the young Swiss Hottie I had picked out (from various and sundry European bridal listings) was rejected out of hand and now after a severe Admiral's Mast involving The Cat, I'm back to square one on stowing my own gear - AND....have had my internet privileges severely reduced as far as what overseas sites I can visit.🥵 So, while nursing my hurt ego (not to mention my hands, arms, back, legs, etc.) I went back out there and did a bit more stowing of gear today. Here's what things look like in the back of the shop:

1250868644_Shop821_1.thumb.jpg.a9a5733fcd9c042be895b2d324797ba7.jpg186155951_Shop821_2.thumb.jpg.c3c9ea25ed1e98c3dca32b2626c11e95.jpg596550867_Shop821_3.thumb.jpg.3843c41f828f56726f593f95cf7902dd.jpg

I'm actually making some progress in spite of what you might think!

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank, you finally have a functional shop, semi-cluttered as well.
Just the way it supposed to be. However I couldn't find a single saw dust in the pictures.😉

Have you started the USS Stoddard - Fletcher? I see the box on the bench.
What is the height of your work bench?

The workbench setup in my garage is to high to sit down at, it's at standing height.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Dr. Per,

No saw dust yet!!! I have NOT begun USS STODDARD yet - only in CAD drawings which I've been working on over the last couple years or so. The model itself won't get underway until possibly next month. Once I have a functioning a/c unit in place and have completed a small amount of repairs to NEW JERSEY, then STODDARD gets the green light.

My workbench height is 35" (+/-) a good height to use my drafting chair - in fact, I'm thinking about looking around for a 2nd (possibly used) drafting chair for exclusive use at the workbench. I fabricated a couple tool caddys today to hold knives, long rigging tools, & files, etc.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

A dining room style backed chair with a cushioned seat is worth a thought- for where is done, the constantly in one place, watch repair type work.

A backless stool (or two)  with big and at least 5 rollers  and easy height adjust.  Even with 5 rollers,  take care where you place your butt.  

That is unless you wish to practice  for a role in a "Help!  I've fallen and can't get up." commercial.  Those suckers will flip you in an instant.  

This is not theory. 

Home Depot  sells craft size pieces of 1" Styrofoam ( starfone in KY ) insulation.   Cut two brick or a bit larger blocks - that are the same size.  PVA glue them together and to a piece of 1/2" ply that has an apron on the four sides.     Poke deep holes in the top to fit hand tools. 

Things like pin vise drills , Kelly clamps,  scissors,  Sharpies,  knives, pencils, small hammers,...   keeps them to hand, but off the bench top.

Hot melt works more quickly - is a knee jerk thought, when quick is the only consideration - you really do not want to use hot melt on Styrofoam.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Journeyman,

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into that (chair). The one I used down east for 18 years was a wooden dining table, high backed, but without a cushion. I donated it to Habitat along with other furniture to keep from having to relocate them back home. Who knew, right!!!

I've actually constructed a couple simple wooden holders for long tools, etc. - here's a closeup that shows them:

1740093285_toolcaddycloseup.jpg.979e4c2053f841b61eefe140a31ae34a.jpg

I may add a center one as needed.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank,

One more addition to consider:

From a local glass supplier   two   12" x 18"  pieces of  1/4" tempered plate glass  with all edges and corners bevel ground.  If one is good, two is better.

A perfect working surface for everything except tasks that involve banging.  Glue spills or smears - single edge razor blades - precisely flat surface.

I bought mine back before Earth was discovered to be round, so I have no idea if the price is now out of reach.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

Other

Journeyman: I'll look into that - I actually have the space for that now!

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank,

Given where this is going to live,  an unfinished chair.   Again, I am not familiar present conditions, but before it was a fad, excellent quality could be had for not that much  money.

But that was back when good furniture was made just west of you in the Hickory area.  If you run out of steam for the environment project, a bare wood chair works as well as  one

that is stained and clear coated.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

Other

Journeyman,

Not a bad idea - another more economical alternative would be a consignment shop for furniture. There are still some NC furniture mfg'rs. around (Hickory included), but many of their products are made in China/Vietnam, not local. Various options, at this point.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

19 hours ago, Nirvana said:

The workbench setup in my garage is to high to sit down at, it's at standing height.

An adjustable drafting chair is what I use for the couple of different height tables/benches in my shop.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The drafting chair that came w/my table is adjusted for the table - but also works for the workbench - I don't need to adjust moving from one to the other. I'm just not interested in having to scoot from one to the other like in a Monty Python skit. Even though it's older (70s vintage) it's in good condition and can be adjusted up/down.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

For a flat surface, I use a piece of   1ft square “Quartz” countertop material, actually I believe it’s synrhetic, ground quartz in an epoxy type maitrix.  It was a sample got when we installed new kitchen countertops.

I have two bench height seats in my shop, a cheap rush seat chair with a back like you might find for seating at a kitchen island and an old swivel drafting stool that I paid $5.00 for when the company reconfigured our engineering dept.  When I bought it our accounting mgr accused me of stealing it at that price.  When I got it home I found a tag on the bottom that said “Property of the US Navy”  So the company didn’t own it anyway!  It was probably war surplus from the years when the company built LSTs on Neville Island near Pittsburgh.

I have also found a regular height chair to be useful, especially If I have something mounted in my bench level carpenter’s vice and I want to look directly at it instead of looking down at it.

Roger

Roger,

I appreciate your input on this. Actually, I have (2) 6" sq. pieces of 1" thk. granite countertop - one which matches our kitchen countertops and was in one of the drawers when we bought this house; the other was given to us at the showroom in Winston-Salem where the countertop was originally cut and purchased by a prior owner. We got the 2nd square as a possible consideration for an island countertop that I was going to build (2018). I did build a fairly large island from my own designs, but used a Norwegian Spruce Butcher block C'top instead (much, MUCH less expensive, and....it came out extremely well!). We use those 2 granite squares (I put "feet" on both of them) as cheese boards on the island - So, they are now part of The Admiral's collection, as it were :Whew:and, more importantly....under the protection of (need I say it?)....... The Cat

I may have a few pieces of spare glass plate somewhere in the "dammit" room upstairs amongst all the "stuff". I'll just have to look! If not, I'm inclined to go to one of the glass stores in town and get them to cut me a "12x12"x 1/4" plate and have them dress the edges.

By evening I was running out of steam after removing some of the constructions tools, etc. from the inside of the shop. So, I'll be back at it tomorrow perhaps. I would like to get the back workbench surface cleared, cleaned, and ready to use.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

I got 2 pieces of glass from a Xerox tech who had removed them from decommissioned copiers. Good sized glass, so I glued down some sandpaper to one to sand parts. The other is used to square up assemblies while gluing. Cleanups are a single edge razor blade to errant glue blobs.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ken,

Yes, old copiers can provide various parts for the modeler - motors, gears, glass plates, rods, etc. You just have to be VERY careful when working around the various color tanks so that you don't end up looking like The Joker!!!

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Oh, my buddy was the only one messing with the copiers. He came into our train club and offered the plate glass only. I think everybody took 2. Changing toner cartridges is as deep as I want to get.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

14 hours ago, Canute said:

Oh, my buddy was the only one messing with the copiers. He came into our train club and offered the plate glass only. I think everybody took 2. Changing toner cartridges is as deep as I want to get.

You're smart!!! I ended up after an evening of disassembly on the back deck looking like a combination of Bozo, Freddy Kruger, & The Joker all in one. NOT again!!!

Hank 

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Yeah, not bad for an air-dale, Hank. Those things go from bag into printer and back. I saw one of my co-workers drop a red cartridge on the floor/deck in our Mission Planning area once upon a time. Took hours of scrubbing to eradicate. Vowed never to do that.

Ken

Ken,

Wish I'd been that smart!!!

OK, yesterday and this a.m. I did the floor painting and the heat is back!!! So, I finished the front area a little bit ago and have taken up residence in the cool of our sun room. I'll probably check on the shop after lunch, close the door and pick up tomorrow morning. In any event, the floor is finished with the exception of a small amount of touch up here & there on the baseboards, etc. Here is the shop area as of last evening:

1439713927_FinalShopFloorPainting_1.thumb.jpg.1ddd7a9823d1688eb76c80c7dbc4e293.jpg

I'll be back sorting, etc. and cleaning off the work surface. Still quite a few things to get arranged.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

This afternoon, well actually 10 minutes ago, in spite of the heat, I went out and did a bit more arranging while searching thru books for some schooner info a fellow modeler called me about. Arranging successful! Schooner info NOT!!! I may go back out this evening when things are cooler and tackle the workbench again. Here's the sitting area as of this afternoon:

317907169_SittingArea_2.thumb.jpg.a976745af275adb924831814e0e6ffb6.jpg

After a good vacuuming, the rugs should look nicer and work until I can afford nautical themed décor for this area. The squiggly crap doesn't do anything for me!!! I think interior-wise things are getting close to being usable. I doubt there will be a commissioning gala with COVID lurking around the corner, so I may just begin using the shop without further fanfare. Although, that doesn't seem fitting.............

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Looks fantastic, Hank.  All you'll need is the A/C now.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

13 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looks fantastic, Hank.  All you'll need is the A/C now.  

Thanks, Mark!!! Yeah, don't know when the refund will happen, soon I hope - so I can go ahead and complete the a/c end of things. 

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank, what a great job you have done. Will you have a fridge with refreshment too?

Btw, your display case - that stand it is placed on seems to be kind of instable. I would recommend to do something about it, unless you have done that without us seeing it.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

45 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Hank, what a great job you have done. Will you have a fridge with refreshment too?

Btw, your display case - that stand it is placed on seems to be kind of instable. I would recommend to do something about it, unless you have done that without us seeing it.

Dr. Per,

Thanks for the nice comments. Re. the stand that PEACOCK resides on - This will answer both of your questions: There WAS a mini-fridge under the far end of the stand. However, it was not working properly, has been moved to the Surplus Yard for replacement. As such, the stand is self-standing without the fridge under it. Once I've replaced the fridge, I will brace that end with a small block of wood (already waiting deployment) that will further support that end of the model's display case.

Hank 

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

With the refund of the Black & Decker taken care of from Amazon, I'm now dithering about purchasing another portable a/c - I have the make/model picked up, just somehow have a hard time hitting the "place order" button!!! Same goes for a part that the manufacturer says I need to repair my Frigidaire Mini-Fridge. The part is $95.00 & change and I'm hesitant to order it. If it was $25.00 I wouldn't feel so bad, but with tax, etc. it will come in over $100.00. Yes, cheaper (if it works) than replacing the fridge, but .....!!! I don't think the Freon needs charging as it does get cool, but doesn't freeze (upper box) or get cold (lower box). The a/c unit will run over $500.00 so these two expenses are worrisome to say the least.

Repairs to NEW JERSEY during her Pier side Availability have been made and she's now been relocated to her new homeport:

790643313_NJ@Homeport.thumb.jpg.562fb1b09b967e19bd6139959c63184a.jpg

So, after doing a bit of preventive maintenance on my drill press (and ordering a missing part), I'm getting the workspace (Laydown Area #1) ready to begin on my USS STODDARD project. Once I have all the plans/photos/info sheets, etc. on hand for beginning super detailing the bottom of the hull, I will be able to start. I need to build a shallow cradle to hold the hull upside down so I can work on it - that will come next. Maybe by then I will have made a decision or two on the above discussion...:stunned:

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

28 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

You have a nice library there, Hank.  Your a/c- heater will help protect it.  Books do not do well in high humidity.

Roger

Roger,

Point well taken. And...that's only one side of the "library" area of the shop!!!! BTW, thanks for the kind remark!!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Noting Roger’s comment above Hank, you could justify the A/C as “necessary preventative maintenance” rather than creature comfort. I’m sure the Admiral will understand.........😉

The shop is looking superb BTW.

Grant,

First, thanks for the kind remarks about the shop!!!! 

Now, on to the important part of your comments - "I'm sure the Admiral will understand" - you see, this is where most modelers make a BIG mistake and then find themselves in:

1) The O.R.

2) The O.R. Recovery Room

or worse (and we can't go THERE!!!) well....Davy Jones Locker 

Most times, The Admiral (which for purposes of explanation is a general term) could be of good humor and go along with my normal expenditures, time spent away from her, you know - activities within the general scope of the G.A.M.A. (General Articles of Matrimonial Agreement). However, last weekend I made (yet another :omg:) mistake of picking the Sunday night movie to be watched after evening chow had been cleared away and the 8mm projectulator had been removed from the Entertainment Locker and set up. I chose Mel Brook's History of the World Part 1. This was a ginormous mistake on my part - after watching all that Roman orgy and French Revolution B.S.,  she has been on an out-of-control freak rampage terrorizing the quarterdeck, slashing with The Cat at this & that - just Hell all over! I, on the other hand, was caught laughing my butt off at the "They all jump Queen" scene and (need I spell it out??) my movie, liberty card, and gedunk privileges are now subject to Wed. p.m. Admiral's Mast. Caddy Wagon may be in port for some time :default_wallbash: to come....

Now, sailors (as a rule) never, NEVER heed anyone else advice, much less their own, so.......in all likelihood I'll slip up and order the a/c FULLY EXPECTING that the floggings, beatings, keel-hauling, etc. will continue unabated until her better judgement and sensibilities return to their (somewhat) normal state of being. :rolleyes:

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA