Converting a Backyard Shed into a Model Workshop

10 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Have you considered the new freestanding portable air conditioners? I haven't played with one, but I'm seriously considering it. If anybody has any experience with them, please chime in. I like the portability, the absence of installation work, and no hard wiring required.

https://www.google.com/search?q=freestanding+portable+air+conditioner&oq=freestanding+portable+air+conditioner&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7120j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have several of them and they are fantastic.  You definitely need to vent them, however, generally though a window.  And you need to set up a condensate drip tank near them.  They have an internal collection tank, and you can drain them, but what a pain....I simply elevate my air conditioners and run a drain line off and down to a collection tub...that I can easily dump out when close to full.

Keeps things as cool as 60 degrees in real hot weather.....nice...….

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

2 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

I have several of them and they are fantastic.  You definitely need to vent them, however, generally though a window.  And you need to set up a condensate drip tank near them.  They have an internal collection tank, and you can drain them, but what a pain....I simply elevate my air conditioners and run a drain line off and down to a collection tub...that I can easily dump out when close to full.

Rob

Rob - I just sent you a msg. regarding your post - thanks!

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

When it is only about protection from solar radiation, one could put a second light roof over the actual roof with a few inches of distance. The chimney effect should cool the lower roof. Solar panels for that second roof would generate some electricity too. That doesn't solve the problem of high humidity though. To my knowledge these mobile A/C units are rather inefficient and have significant carbon-footprint.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Hank: I am to install Mistubishi Inverter unit, sure it's more money but that way the moisture build up will end up on the outside and not in a tank.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

4 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Rob

Thanks for the tip, Rob! We've had unusually high temperatures here in Northern CA the last couple of days, breaking 100F in some places. I'm close to the coast with sea breezes keeping things cool most of the time, so I just need something for the summer heat spells. I saw someplace that they are now making them with a hose that can be run out a window to deal with the "exhaust" and condensate. I'll be looking for that feature for sure!

7 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Thanks for the tip, Rob! We've had unusually high temperatures here in Northern CA the last couple of days, breaking 100F in some places. I'm close to the coast with sea breezes keeping things cool most of the time, so I just need something for the summer heat spells. I saw someplace that they are now making them with a hose that can be run out a window to deal with the "exhaust" and condensate. I'll be looking for that feature for sure!

Yes Bob they come with an expandable hose that fits to a window adapter.  I elevate my machines so I can run the drain hose to a bucket for condensation collection.  If you don't do this you will have to tip the thing to the side/back to drain the internal tank...(what a pain).

Rob 

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Wefalck and Nirvana,

Thanks for the input - budgetary constraints have to be observed at this stage of the project and ….while I'm sensitive to the environment, etc. etc., I try to keep things in relative proportion, and do not go overboard in one direction or another. I am looking at efficiency ratings, etc. and will take those into consideration!

As a matter of fact, I've just installed 12 (6/side) solar powered landing lights on our driveway - you know, for my "friends from above 🚀" - in case they decide to pay a visit and want to create a Go Fund Me account titled "Hank's Shop"...🤖 

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I am looking at efficiency ratings, etc. and will take those into consideration!

From best to worst,

Split system

Box (wall mount)

Dual hose portable (if you can get one, they stopped selling them here)

Single hose portable

A single hose portable sucks outside air in at the same rate it spits hot air out the hose, if the air outside is hot then the only cooling will be directly in front of the unit, the rest of the shed will be close to outside air temp. A dual hose sucks outdoor in one hose, heats it up and spits it out the other.

Generally the best budget buy will be a Box A/C if you have the wall space.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

Thanks, Craig - good info to have! Still under consideration, etc.

No work today other than some evening caulking here & there before we had late nite showers.

In researching portable a/c units w/heat - I've also discovered the Edgestar brand (U.S. Manufacture) that is comparable to the Hisense (Chinese mfg'r) brand, requires NO drain line, and....is quite a bit more affordable. So, it pays to do a bit of digging before pulling out the wallet:omg:...the search continues in our never-ending quest for truth, justice, and the American Way!!! (older members will remember where THAT came from!!!)

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

2 hours ago, Hank said:

search continues in our never-ending quest for truth, justice, and the American Way!!! (older members will remember where THAT came from!!!)

Are you implying that you have a red union suit on under your "normal" clothing?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I've also discovered the Edgestar brand (U.S. Manufacture)

Hank, compare these two. Their cheapest portable with their second cheapest (by $6.00) wall unit.

https://www.edgestar.com/koldfront-portable-air-conditioners/PAC802W.html

https://www.edgestar.com/koldfront-through-wall-air-conditioners/WTC8001W.html

Although they are both 8000 BTU of cooling the portable only claims to cool 150 square feet  whereas the wall unit claims 350. The wall unit also heats, the portable doesn't.

The portable also uses slightly more power to cool less than 1/2 the area.

Hope this helps.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Are you implying that you have a red union suit on under your "normal" clothing?

Mark,

Ha Ha - That's a good one!!! George Reeves would be proud!!!!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

6 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

Hank, compare these two. Their cheapest portable with their second cheapest (by $6.00) wall unit.

https://www.edgestar.com/koldfront-portable-air-conditioners/PAC802W.html

https://www.edgestar.com/koldfront-through-wall-air-conditioners/WTC8001W.html

Although they are both 8000 BTU of cooling the portable only claims to cool 150 square feet  whereas the wall unit claims 350. The wall unit also heats, the portable doesn't.

The portable also uses slightly more power to cool less than 1/2 the area.

Hope this helps.

Craig,

Thanks - these are slightly less BTU output than I require, but I'll do a comparison of the correct size wall unit vs their portable counterpart - wall space "may" be critical but that will also have to be factored in. I do appreciate the input - this is not one of those decisions that will be made quickly!

Last night's rain was not all that much, but this a.m. I noticed that there was no further evidence of leakage - at this point!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Sunday I cut out siding for 3 air vents (2 back wall, 1 front wall) and got those installed. Yesterday I spent all day working and got the walls/partitions finished - ready for painting. Finally spoke with my C/R/Friend and got the direction I needed on insulation in ceiling & using plywood flooring squares, etc. Today, other chores to be done, so hopefully tomorrow I'll be back out. Here's the new front air vent as of yesterday:

336438981_FrontAirVent_1.thumb.jpg.c030f2f36d4b3db525ed6002ab349a70.jpg

If I'm able to get out there later today, I'll get a couple photos of the latest interior work. 

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Okay, so I got out late today and got a few shots of yesterday's inside work:

1658848777_LeftWall@Panel_1.thumb.jpg.dda4e4571834d3b6077b716441ee032f.jpg742337000_LeftWall@Panel_2.thumb.jpg.d3982fe2f14cb3d93029c9ae18bc88c0.jpg171837943_LeftWallPartition_1.thumb.jpg.81290d75178ccbaecff3b420b4c892a2.jpg

I have a small amount of sanding to do and can then begin rolling out the front part of the shop with primer. This part will also get a complete coat of Extra White Flat Interior latex before calling it "done"! My C/R/Friend is purchasing a 10 pack of 8' LED fixtures from Amazon for a job and will sell me two of them at cost. I will replace the single 8' long fluorescent fixture in the front area with these 2 fixtures and not only improve the lighting, but eliminate the "noise"! In addition to all this - you can't see it but just in front of the short partition is a tiny hole - that locates the center for cutting out a 5 7/8" dia. hole in the paneling/siding to put a possible exhaust vent hose thru for a portable A/C & Heat unit. If I do go this route, I will probably drop the HVAC elec. supply wire down thru the partition wall prior to putting in the ceiling panel adjacent to the partition. I can do that in a very short time. Here is the framing that I put in place before I put up the paneling:

1420068059_FramingforExhAir-AC_1.thumb.jpg.b7c2f66c3234cfab26ad8065dfc4a4a1.jpg806125787_FramingforExhAir-AC_2.thumb.jpg.231faf5a7b36b11520bef7bb9d667cfd.jpg

If this unit is purchased, then I will build an exterior vent cover with fine mesh grille once the vent opening is cut thru.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Today was a stop & reverse day - I got out in early afternoon (getting hot!!) and having made the decision that "probably" the portable a/c unit w/heat was the most attractive way to do the HVAC in the shop, I stopped at Lowe's on my way home from getting a hair cut (well, YEAH!!!) and picked up a plastic "old work" elec. box and a single 120v/20A receptacle and some other stuff. I should have made this decision 2 days ago, but what the hey - nothing's perfect, right? So, with this decision in mind AND the fact that any HVAC would be better served with a dedicated 20amp breaker, I cut out a small part of the uppermost paneling on the backside of the partition I just completed yesterday. Then, using the Dremel right angle attachment for my drill, I drilled thru the 2 plate studs and into the hollow cavity of the partition. See, I'm using all these carpentry terms and words like I know what the Hell I'm talking about!!!🔨

I then fed down thru the hole the #12 wire that is dedicated for HVAC and having cut out an opening on the FRONT side of the partition for the recept. box, everything was working well!! The single receptacle was attached, the CB wired into the box, then tested and we're cooking with gas....er, electricity....WHATEVER - you know what I mean :default_wallbash:

This took most of the afternoon (now it's really getting hot in there!!!🥵) so I cleaned up, vacuumed the area, did a security sweep for any "stray cats", and called it a day. So, tomorrow will be a bit of sanding and then roller painting - that's the NC version of Roller Derby only we use paint & rollers instead of roller skates and tattooed "old heavy buddies!!" Here is today's effort:

711832745_HVACReceptacle_1.thumb.jpg.eec147a5bfa30dc58f43c782f5f40a2d.jpg

I located this receptacle high enough that if the floods come (and Noah DOESN'T!!) I'll still be cool/hot depending on whether it's high/low tide. 🙄

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Since you're still working in there painting and whatnot and how hot it is, I was thinking you were going to tell us you bought the A/C.  But then, that would be my priority.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark - Probably mine too, but at the moment we have an issue with the a/c in the house, so the shop is secondary. Besides, this way I loose weight by working in the heat 🥵!

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

On 5/23/2020 at 5:20 PM, Roger Pellett said:

6EE14905-DECE-4916-90BE-5C516C4FC82E.jpeg

I like your version of a wire grommet here.  :D  I think that golf is the activity that I miss the most since my MD advanced to the point of loosing the ability to walk.  I am however, very glad that I spent as much time as I could doing it while I was still able to do so, especially the rounds of golf in Hawaii!  🏌️‍♂️ 😎

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

I may need a few of those aluminum base plates myself before it's all said & done!

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

The Aluminum base plates are home made- 1/8in plate from the scrap bucket.

Many years ago while living in Ohio I tried to play golf and even joined the Company golf league- 9 holes every Thursday night and pick up the ball after 10 strokes.  After a while, my golf partner suggested that I keep score by keeping track of the number of strokes less than 10 on the few holes where I didn’t pick up.  Lessons helped but when I moved to Duluth in 1989 struggles to revive a business and the opportunity to take part in a Wednesday night and Saturday sailing league effectively ended my golfing.

I got the golf ball from my son to use as a final check to ensure that the bench top was flat and level.

Roger

Roger,

Reminds me of an old story about The Plumpf Maker - too long to tell now, but akin to a rolling golf ball.

Ok, so this afternoon's work was getting the angled ceiling panels in place and that did occur. My work & sweat program is working - 6 lbs. lighter today!!!! Here's the result:

2066707847_AngledCeilingPnl_1.thumb.jpg.853044194a29405e50bcd7a687c51887.jpg

This goes all the way back to where my loft begins with insulation behind. I will add trim tomorrow and then begin the other side. THEN comes the painting!!

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

A strong power vent at peak to pull in that morning air before you turn on that air-conditioner you're going to purchase. HD Carrie's the ones Bob is talking about. And I see you are putting in the proper insulation. 

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Yea, looking at a thermostatic controlled roof or eave vent, as well.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Got some trim put up and then spent the remainder of the a.m. moving "stuff" once again over to the opposite side in order to begin the angled ceiling panel & insulation install next. Decided around noon that I needed a break, so may not get started on that until tomorrow.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

18 hours ago, Hank said:

My work & sweat program is working - 6 lbs. lighter today!!!!

I trust that you mean this is jest.  Being 3 litres negative water balance in Piedmont Carolina in Summer-like temp sort of makes it difficult to maintain the necessary internal balance and not start to denature some temperature sensitive enzymes and receptors.  I think beyond a certain age, our internal thirst safety drive can get to be below the strength of signal necessary to gain our attention.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Nope - that's my regimen!!! I keep a big glass (well, plastic Zippy type cup!) of iced water on hand and work 'til I am at a good quitting point. I'm not into sports, so this IS my sport, so to speak. It used to be doing lawnmowing in the sunshine, but I gave that up when the lawn tractor gave up!!! But, your point is taken. I took the afternoon off and entertained another NRG member who is a retired neuro-surgeon and ship modeler to show him the shop.

Might go back out tonight and get a few things set up for another morning insulation/paneling "party" on the other side. Unless, of course, The Admiral signals that she has other plans :default_wallbash:!

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Ah, so-o-o-o, Frollick-son!!! I think I'll stick with the 115 VAC version!!!🥶

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

• 2 weeks later...

Last week was weather-wise - WET!!! So, not a lot of work on the shop was accomplished. Yesterday and today, however, I have been able to install the flat ceiling panels on one side. It's mid-afternoon, hot, so I may go back out after supper and put up some trim and the begin moving "stuff" around again in order to make room for installing the ceiling panels on the opposite side of the shop. So, here's the shop right now:

FlatPanel_2.thumb.jpg.79973aed1528ed62c7da1850aef4fc34.jpgFlatPanel_1.thumb.jpg.284150fdcca598ac8f3676e3906fdd71.jpg

So, after caulking, and some trim pieces added, I'll be ready to remove the center fluorescent fixture, lay in the insulation batts, do some further cleanup, and then begin the other side.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA