Converting a Backyard Shed into a Model Workshop

A keelhauling, Hank? Oh, the humanity!;):D

I'm with Roger & Grant. The display stands and library alone needs good A/C. And the tools would be better protected in a drier environment. I'm up in Hendersonville, NC, with similar killer humidity, but the shop is in my lower level aka basement. All part of the house HVAC. Good thing I'm a long ways out of any blast zones up in Mocksville. :o

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Grant, Ken, Jack - Thanks for the Positive responses!!! Yes - I hear you loud and clear, just a matter of "pulling the trigger". Today is supposed to be back up in the 90s, and that might do it for me.

Ken - I went to Mars Hill College back in the mid-60s and came back to finish after my Navy duty (70-72), so I'm well aware of the types of weather one encounters up in WNC!!! Hendersonville, BTW, is one of our favorite towns to visit - the Apple Festival is one of the better fall attractions in that area.

Stay tuned for further advisories, etc.:bird-vi:

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

We've been here 11+ years. The Apple Festival was canx'd for this year, due to the virus, despite being outside on the street. Impossible to social distance and traipsing up and down the hill wearing a mask would try the patience of a saint. 😷

I'll be following along as you actually get your spiffy new shop messy.😁

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Ken,

Well, not surprising - everything that we had planned to go to or attend is now dead for 2020. IMPO, I think the press has wrung the country out and thru the wringer on the virus issue. Common sense and practicality in how you conduct yourself have flown out the window in the midst of the power struggles going on on all sides.

On the shop - I did it...pulled the trigger! It's currently 86 in the shop today and really won't get better w/o an a/c in place. So, end of next week we'll see what happens!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

3 hours ago, Hank said:

So, end of next week we'll see what happens!

I want to see the scars from the cat Hank!

32 minutes ago, gjdale said:

I want to see the scars from the cat Hank!

Well, that may be a bit hard....after the initial onslaught (I like that word - it connotates terror, mayhem, outright brutality!!!),  in a few days I might be able to rotate my good shoulder around to take a selfie of my upper back....or not - we'll have to see if The Cat makes a 2nd or (hopefully not!) 3rd appearance before the a/c unit is scheduled to arrive next weekend. Anything is possible on The Admiral's Quarterdeck between now & then. :imNotWorthy:

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank,

We've all been there, done that, had the Captain's Mast, appropriate flogging and went back to doing what we wanted.  

Thanks for the tale.  It made my day and I'll be chucking for quite a while.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Hank,

We've all been there, done that, had the Captain's Mast, appropriate flogging and went back to doing what we wanted.  

Thanks for the tale.  It made my day and I'll be chucking for quite a while.

Mark,

Yes, it's more enjoyable to mix the modeling with some blarney and keep things interesting. Too much of one (and none of the other) makes things dull. Besides, comedy is the spice of life!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Well, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you. Life is too short. ;)

Ken

12 hours ago, Hank said:

Well, that may be a bit hard....after the initial onslaught (I like that word - it connotates terror, mayhem, outright brutality!!!),  in a few days I might be able to rotate my good shoulder around to take a selfie of my upper back....or not - we'll have to see if The Cat makes a 2nd or (hopefully not!) 3rd appearance before the a/c unit is scheduled to arrive next weekend.

You know what they say Hank - if there’s no photo, it didn’t happen...........just sayin’...............

2 hours ago, gjdale said:

You know what they say Hank - if there’s no photo, it didn’t happen...........just sayin’...............

Grant,

Well, The Admiral has placed restrictions on the use of all elec. devices during all this, however - she did allow for a sketch artist to capture the event just before it began:

1609878934_TheCat.JPG.8a6c671296b3dedc0e3864527747c5e6.JPG

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Well, my a/c was delivered yesterday so I let it sit for a day (per directions) and then trucked it out to the shop and got it installed this morning. I had to alter the exhaust opening in the wall (did so with a metal 5"x4" reducer somewhat modified):

67755621_Holeforexhhose.thumb.jpg.aff99ebf6597f0e0c2b358ef64596fd1.jpg and

Then, modified the provided window panel slide piece to be used on the wall instead. This hose is 5 1/4" dia. which is somewhat larger than the original B & D exhaust hose. Anyway, once the panel was mounted on the wall, I inserted the hose into both the wall opening and the unit, moved the unit into place (sort of), and plugged it in. Started right up. The ambient temp. inside was 74°F and outside somewhere around 77 or 78. I messed around a bit with the remote and left it set on Cool with the fan on high, setting the temp. for 71. Well, as the day progressed, it got quite hotter outside and inside. When I shut it off and came inside late in the afternoon, the outside temp was around 89-90 and inside 84-86 depending on where you were. So, while everything seems to work ok, I'm not seeing any cooling of the space. NOTE: I do still need to close off the attic area over the sitting area in front as there is no need to leave it open. This will obviously affect the a/c ability of the unit. The same area in the back of the bldg. (over the workshop area) needs to remain accessible as it is a storage loft. So, this may present a problem not easily solved. I'm thinking about some type of curtain that could at least be closed (snaps?) when the loft is not being accessed. At least then those two areas would be closed off from the rest of the cooled interior space. Probably sleep on that for a while....! Anyhow, here is the modified exhaust hose wall mount and the a/c unit itself:

1149532693_acexhhose_1.thumb.jpg.925100aa581c8beee67089e270456e7e.jpg1791967979_acunitinplace.thumb.jpg.b8cea47e869113325b31200b401b76e2.jpg

I did manage to get in a few hours on my Williams Bros. WASP engine kit that I started 2 years ago. I need to get it finished and clear the decks for a full time STODDARD build. One other note - the unit is on castors and can easily be moved around (which I did) about 5' from either wall. I am planning on adding a permanent angled drain line thru the wall for connection to the provide drain tube. Just a matter of getting to it, etc.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

A/C units can be tricky before you figure them out.

I have consulted with my Admiral to section of part of a part of the garage/workshop with a real interior wall so I can create a secluded shop that has a stable temperature and humidity.

The size of the shop will be 23x10ft. This raised from the 6 inches from the floor.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Dr. Per or Nirvana (which do YOU prefer?) -

That's good news!!! It shows that your Admiral has a high degree of trust in you - be careful not to abuse that or take advantage of the positive gesture on her part. Remember, when dealing with Admiralty, The Cat is never, NEVER far from reach - almost like a DEWLINE of RADAR stations tuned in to take you down!!!:ph34r:

However, on the prospects of a dedicated shop - 23'x10' is a nice size to be sure. That's 230 sq. ft. and should be fairly moderate in cost to cool/heat, etc. One thing that I've read in the operating manual about the unit I bought is that their ratings of output are not exactly as described in product advertising/data sheets due to newer calculation formulas used by the gov't. & industry - but, you don't find out about this until you've already read the online/printed comparisons and decided on a particular model. Those information columns don't always show the TRUE figures. This admission of sorts is included in the manual that came with my unit - so, I'm not sure that buying an oversized a/c unit in order to compensate for the attic situation will prove positive or negative at this point. What I based my decision on was the figures published online in their product data columns - as this is the only stuff you have to go on. Time, I guess will tell!! As you say, you've got to mess around with these things before it all becomes murky!:default_wallbash: I do have enough new beadboard on hand to fashion a permanent upper end to the front attic area. I hope to get that made this weekend. The loft area will still take some thinking on how to close it off, yet leave it accessible.

I hope once you begin your shop construction you will inundate us all with pix, blarney, and coupons for free "adult" refreshments, etc. !!!:cheers:

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank,

I would give serious thought to using a sheet of 2"  Starfoam (E.KY) insulation.  It probably only comes as 4x8.

One sheet may get you a double layer. 

Hinge it along the top edge.  A long pole can keep it open or a distal hook in the ceiling and a loop with the sheet.

It may require 1/4" ply to hold the hinges.  It is porous enough for PVA to hold it all together.  LiquidNails also works.  Weather stripping along the border and strong magnets at few points to hold it all closed tight.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Jaager,

Thanks - did you mean "styrofoam ESKY" insulation?? I'm not finding a "Starfoam E.KY" insulation. I can get a 4x8 sheet of styrofoam insul. at Lowe's really easily and glue it to the back of the beadboard, thus insulating that ceiling partition once it's cut to shape. The hinge you're talking about, etc. - I'm guessing you mean for the access panel to the loft on the other end of the bldg. I think I see what you're getting at - doesn't seem too difficult. That might be the easiest and most efficient material to use. 

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

G'day Hank,

It's hard to remember but I think you insulated all the walls (excluding the door and window), the ceiling above the sitting area including the sloping sides and perhaps the ceiling between the attic and loft. These are shown in pink below.

If so, then yes you need to close off and insulate the opening to the attic. You also need to insulate the loft either as shown in green or by insulating the floor of the loft and closing the loft off like the attic but with an insulated door.

Hank01.JPG

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

Hank,

Starfoam is how coworkers who were from eastern KY pronounced Styrofoam.  (The patient water glasses at our VAMC were actually beaded starfoam cups.) 

A door with hinges at the top - to seal the storage cubby.   When I imagined this solution, I envisioned the opening as being pentagonal - and thought that two half doors would do the job - but it looks like you finished it to be rectangular, so one will do.

A loop of bungee cord for a handle - a gaff hook to pull it open and place the loop in the hook that keeps it open.

American Science & Surplus  has a tube of 29 plain donut magnets for $6.00.  They are strong enough to keep a seal if paired and 4 or 5 sites are used.

The only downside is the spam catalogs - but the paper is the right stuff for starting a fireplace log. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

8 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

G'day Hank,

It's hard to remember but I think you insulated all the walls (excluding the door and window), the ceiling above the sitting area including the sloping sides and perhaps the ceiling between the attic and loft. These are shown in pink below.

If so, then yes you need to close off and insulate the opening to the attic. You also need to insulate the loft either as shown in green or by insulating the floor of the loft and closing the loft off like the attic but with an insulated door.

Hank01.JPG

IMBC,

Thanks - you are correct with one exception - I insulated between the loft floor and workshop ceiling (below). The loft area is uninsulated. With Jaager's ideas regarding the unsulation boards, I am going to make insulated panels for both the front attic area (close it off, etc.) and something similar for closing the loft area so that I still have access. Actually, I may be able to glue foam insulation board to a thin hardboard shaped to fit the central part of that opening (for access) with two small insulated side panels permanently framed in on either side. However it turns out, this will get done fairly quickly. I appreciate your comments!!!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

6 hours ago, Jaager said:

Hank,

Starfoam is how coworkers who were from eastern KY pronounced Styrofoam.  (The patient water glasses at our VAMC were actually beaded starfoam cups.) 

A door with hinges at the top - to seal the storage cubby.   When I imagined this solution, I envisioned the opening as being pentagonal - and thought that two half doors would do the job - but it looks like you finished it to be rectangular, so one will do.

A loop of bungee cord for a handle - a gaff hook to pull it open and place the loop in the hook that keeps it open.

American Science & Surplus  has a tube of 29 plain donut magnets for $6.00.  They are strong enough to keep a seal if paired and 4 or 5 sites are used.

The only downside is the spam catalogs - but the paper is the right stuff for starting a fireplace log. 

Jaager,

Gotcha!!! I knew there was some satire going on here, just wanted to make sure. We have a similar problem here in NC with certain linguistic challenges - esp. at Walmart...:blink: I want to get the front attic area closed first, so will get that done hopefully this weekend. The bead board w/foam insulation behind should do the trick. Once that is in place I'll concentrate on closing off the loft area. My above response to IMBC should give you an idea of my thinking along those lines. Actually, with today's rain & cooldown, it's a good opportunity to take measurements, go to Lowe's, and then get started on all this. Also, won't have to crank up the a/c today as it's in the low 70s and should stay there all day.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

7 hours ago, Hank said:

I am going to make insulated panels for both the front attic area (close it off, etc.) and something similar for closing the loft area so that I still have access.

Hank, that should make a huge difference. At the moment you effectively have no roof insulation at all.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

Craig,

Yep, so it's underway. I just cut out the bead board panels for the front attic opening and tomorrow a.m. (after I prepare spaghetti sauce - don't want to incur the Wrath of The Admiral), I'll be measuring the inside where the insulation will be adhered to it prior to installation. I anticipate that this end will be rather simple compared to the back panels which need an access area in the center. That will be a bit more involved, BUT...I can decide the opening width and then cut side panels to fit and get them insulated and in place (the simple parts first!).

Thanks again for your interest, ideas, and input!!!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

Hank,

Would some sort of roof vent help the situation?  Other than knowing that they exist I know nothing about them.

Roger,

The roof does have a short, centered ridge vent, I think about either 3 or 4 feet long. Also, I put 2 small metal vents on the back upper wall and one in the front wall, although larger ones would probably have been better (not enough room). Always something to learn and do better, right?

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

I successfully made a run to OfficeMax, Lowe's, etc. in the big city and returned to begin the final assault on finishing the shop; well, sort of....! Anyhow, I'm a bit short of caulking but will remedy that today. Other than that, the access door is completed and in place. Yesterday, I turned on the a/c and while not really needing it, i left it on for about 30 minutes while I taped up some parts on my B-2 bomber model. I noticed that the room temp actually DROPPED 1° during that time which indicated the attic closure was working. The access door was not in place, but I had the a/c pointed to the sitting room, away from the loft area. So, anyhow, the door glue holding the styrofoam blocks is now dry and the door is in place:

560296395_AccessDoorOutside.thumb.jpg.7d37ea757fcc8c28b97b05056863e81d.jpg1241284462_AccessDoorInside.jpg.b11530828c3c021374ba1ca7504c464e.jpg

So, now I only need to do a small amount of trim filler work along the center ridge, caulk the joints, and paint. The door is lightweight, made of 3/16" thk foamboard with a couple layers of bubble insulation and the 4 styrofoam blocks to hold it in place. I may try to find a long piece of foam to cut for an upper lip on the outside of the angled sides of the door just to seal up that visible crack.

For all intents and purposes, the shop is now "in limited operations, pending Commissioning" - Further exterior painting, re-roofing, etc. will occur as time/money permits and I will update as necessary when those activities dictate. Thanks for the participation!!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Note to self----

Stop reading this super thread and getting more bitter and twisted by the day  working on a small table in my dinning room..LOL     :) 

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍