Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

A few pigeons

How about the bats Mark.............. Or is that batty?

8 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

full of so much bull

That is NOT necessarily what cows are full of. You still may not want to stand under them though. :unsure::blush: 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

More like avoid the back end by a few feet, Lou. My horses went horizontal, doing their business. As soon as the tail went up, you scrammed that area. And don't step on the meadow muffins. ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The only thing good I could think of is after letting the stuff "ripen" for 6 months, it makes outstanding fertilizer. As my Admiral would say. you could plant broom handles in this stuff and grow trees. :D

Is there anything else good about said "muffins" and "apples". ;)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

13 hours ago, Canute said:

Is there anything else good about said "muffins" and "apples". ;)

If aged properly they make good camp fires in dry unwooded country. No smell at all strangely enough.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

13 hours ago, Canute said:

As my Admiral would say. you could plant broom handles in this stuff and grow trees. :D

Around here they have sales of "Zoo Doo" where you can buy exotic animal poop for gardening. I have no idea if it is better than what cows produce but it appears that some people do. They pay quite well from what I understand.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

If aged properly they make good camp fires in dry unwooded country. No smell at all strangely enough.

Today when someone asks for Buffalo Chips, they usually get sent to the grocery store for barbecue flavored munchies......

But back in the day, your great great relatives would have just wandered around the prairie and gathered them up for the night's cookfire fuel....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

The stables of my granddaughters riding school let you take bags of the stuff for free if you do the bagging. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Around here they have sales of "Zoo Doo" where you can buy exotic animal poop for gardening. I have no idea if it is better than what cows produce but it appears that some people do. They pay quite well from what I understand.

Around here we have a thing called Tagro, it is sold by the 10 yard dump truck full to the locals in the county as garden enhancement..... The name is a contraction of Tacoma Grows.....  It's the sifted, composted solids from the local treatment plant...... And yes, it's the best garden fertilizer around.....

When they first started, (30 years ago) they could barely give it away, today, it costs too much.......

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I used to give friends tractor bucket loads of the horse manure in the spring for their veggie gardens. kept the stable sweepings pile down to a small hill. The little village out side my base in Germany had many mounds of the stuff, since we were in a very rural part of Germany. Luckily, it was downwind of the base. :D

Ken

I think we’re going to end up in a deep pile of manure if we wander too far from the village walls. Ekis, who I have a sneaking suspicion is some how related to the lord of the manor, will close and lock the gates on us. I’ve heard the wolves that roam the area are particularly vicious. There have also been stories of malicious spirits known to prey on anyone foolish enough to cross their path. 

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Johnson

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

so now your scratch building..........not so much with the stone,  but it's a sweet look'in windmill!  such beautiful work! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

@popeye the sailor Thanx ! 😁
As I chose to make a village in the 14th in the south of France, I couldn't do everything in stone as the kit planned.
Basically, the partnership between the publisher DelPrado (closed company for years) and the manufacturer of the kit Aedes Ars are Spanish.

Spain has relatively few forests, and most medieval buildings are made of dry stone with little wood.
This is not at all the case in France. So as I do on each project, I adapt according to my own choices for more realism, and especially less simplifications...

Ekis,

With regards to the timber work in your construction, I had always considered the Half timbering as the “Tudor” or “Elizabethan” style of construction because that’s the way the real estate industry marketed it for decades in the US. It may be the same for Canada too, I’m not sure. I’ve always considered Canadians to be exactly the same as Americans ( albeit a softer version). At least based on many personal interactions. The colorful money was the  only real noticeable difference to me.

Never having been to Europe (yet) I never gave it a second thought. It just shows how misconceptions get perpetuated.  The half timbering ( not considering its actual structural purpose or how it evolved to be) remains one of my favorite styles or “looks”.

Sorry for the ramble. Oh, they’re just coming now to administer my medications.  

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

There are many different styles of half-timbering in Europe. And there are some in all European countries, including Great Britain, of course.
This style for you Anglo-Saxons, is necessarily named with the English terms: it seems normal.
Even in France alone, there are big differences in half-timbering depending on the region.
But all of these styles respond to construction methods originating from the Romans, then from the Middle Ages.

I think

6 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

I had always considered the Half timbering as the “Tudor” or “Elizabethan” style of construction because that’s the way the real estate industry marketed it for decades in the US. 

I think maybe it's because of the shared heritage between the British and American culture that it's marketed as  Tudor or Elizabethan as that is what was the main building style in the UK at that time and perhaps some of the first migrants to "New England" took the style with them.

Also when looking at medieval architecture in europe it seems most old world countries used similar techniques, if the wood was available as in the 14th century bricks were an expensive building material. 

Other villagers may be able to add extra information 🙂

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

On 12/2/2020 at 12:55 AM, lmagna said:

Reminds of the old saying about a fool and his money.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 12/2/2020 at 2:04 AM, Egilman said:

But back in the day, your great great relatives would have just wandered around the prairie and gathered them up for the night's cookfire fuel....

Based on the population of the American Bison back then they probably did not have to wander far.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:09 AM, Egilman said:

Tagro, it is sold by the 10 yard dump truck full to the locals in the county as garden enhancement

Try $10 a pint for some of the Seattle Zoo ZooDoo.:stunned::blink:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well precisely, about the half-timbering, here is the current state of the last houses of the village... 😉

The half-timberings are made, being dyed, the walls are also finished, either in cob, bricks or stones.
As this block of house really comes in the center of the village, I tried to make a logical link with all other constructions around, while remaining consistent in time and logic.

The next step: windows, doors, chimneys.

PC040001.JPG.245c4532817cce381fe11a9fcd058cbe.JPG

PC040002.JPG.a51a9e149f8f47636925288dedbf2113.JPG

PC040003.JPG.45fb20018d978b77f3bc2e3183269cfc.JPG

PC040004.JPG.87d591216b3f66b4cbeacee35fd86c54.JPG

PC040005.JPG.fb1741e1f0ec1ca4fc2b988cf8545f29.JPG

PC040006.JPG.01f11f83de0af9f9a85d50520d73179b.JPG

PC040007.JPG.048952c6feefb88e4043852c4c5b2a0c.JPG

PC040008.JPG.85e63a2dbdd38bc293059d528611b3b2.JPG

PC040009.JPG.51b578a7fe534bd590a2aaf33239c390.JPG

looks great!.........I like the way you mix the wood and mortar balance...... 👍

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

That could be the pub  - must have a pub  - please make a pub, we need a place to party.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 minutes ago, Ekis said:

@Old Collingwood I thought it was this building rather... 😁

OK, another pub  as there is a lot of us.😃

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

10 minutes ago, Canute said:

Oh, nice a pub crawl, too.;)

Yep  can't beat a good pub crawl  then a dip in the  pond in the middle of the square  "Wait ...........will there be pond"?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

then a dip in the  pond in the middle of the square 

The town has an ordnance, "no skinnydippin when drunk" The town would have to build a much much bigger Gaol....

Quote:

26 minutes ago, Ekis said:

@Old Collingwood Yep, perhaps a river... Later ! 🤪

Sounds good to me  - i'll  bring the dinghy.........."Wait  - did they have inflateables back then"?😊

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

33 minutes ago, Egilman said:

The town has an ordnance, "no skinnydippin when drunk" The town would have to build a much much bigger Gaol....

Spolisport.😁

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.