Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

Ekis  can I ask  for some advice please mate,   when I start building my  Waterloo  La Haye Sainte  farm buildings, part of the Barns roof was set on fire by canon fire (I understand)    how can I best replicate this in my  MDF  roof  -  builing the damage  and  simulating the burned look?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

You have several solutions, I think:
- Either you make a hole in your roof, and you glue the rafters of the frame from underneath, which you will have blackened beforehand (Indian ink on the wood and a few touches of brown diluted),
- either you try to dilute the ink on the roof with the tiles (or slates, I don't know) and you try by small brush strokes to reproduce the burnt side of the roof.

Personally, I would try the 1st solution, without making too big a hole! 😉

5 minutes ago, Ekis said:

You have several solutions, I think:
- Either you make a hole in your roof, and you glue the rafters of the frame from underneath, which you will have blackened beforehand (Indian ink on the wood and a few touches of brown diluted),
- either you try to dilute the ink on the roof with the tiles (or slates, I don't know) and you try by small brush strokes to reproduce the burnt side of the roof.

Personally, I would try the 1st solution, without making too big a hole! 😉

Thank you Ekis,    I'm not sure how  big the damage was  as info on it is a bit sketchy   -  they just say the French attempted to set fire to the Barn Roof  and it was only by the KGL  using  kettles from the pond  - that rescued  the roof before it could go to far.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Was part of the roof thatched? The French may have set fire in the eaves.

I think Ekis' first solution would be the one to go with. You could open a hole and make a wood lattice under the hole. Paint black, dark brown and dry brush some gray (for ashy parts of the rafters).

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

That era and period it would be a thatched roof, and the day being cloudy and rainy it would have been damp so difficult to really get a fire started, a good dousing would eliminate that threat rather quickly.....

Underneath would be timbers making up the sloped form of the roof with cross wise lattices running lengthwise to tie the thatch bundles to.....

A good solution would be to cover the roof with thatch and scorch a part of it along one edge  feathering the scorch out in a fan pattern, you wouldn't need a hole per-se just a semi circular scorch pattern.....

There isn't a lot of information on it, except that the KGL managed to put it out before it did major damage....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Ken, EG,  all the roofs  were  flat Grey tiled.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC, assuming you plan to go ahead with this vignette, you'd need a hole in the roof big enough to show the framework the slates were attached to inside the roof. Then, scorch the exposed wood framing and scatter the slates about, suitably broken in places.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

8 minutes ago, Canute said:

OC, assuming you plan to go ahead with this vignette, you'd need a hole in the roof big enough to show the framework the slates were attached to inside the roof. Then, scorch the exposed wood framing and scatter the slates about, suitably broken in places.

Thanks Ken,  the roof in the MDF kit  is just that  - flat MDF  with at best lines scored to replicate tiles,   and at worst  just pened in, there are no individual tiles.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hmm, could be an issue. How thick is the MDF?

Ken

52 minutes ago, Canute said:

Hmm, could be an issue. How thick is the MDF?

I would have to measure it  - but at a guess  3-4mm.

Here is a close up showing  the roof section after they have painted it  (red is not supposed to be the correct colour  - from online sorces  the oppionion is they were Grey).

OC.

Screenshot_2021-02-03 La Haye Sainte 28mm (2).png

Current builds  

Completed works.

chances are your going to repaint it......if the roof is not cemented on in any way.  here's something you can try........ lay the desired side flat on a soft surface,  and poke it with a suitable {rod like} tool,  the size you'd like the hole to be.  it will create a jagged broken area.......you will likely need to remove some of the broken stuff.  cement in some framework under the roof,  breaking that as well......if need be.  do not remove the broken stuff......now paint in the desired colors.  I know it sounds archaic.....careless actually,  but then again,  so are cannon balls ;) 

this is a situation where imagination plays a huge part of what you want to see and convey.   I've heard of folks taking a nicely built plane,  and actually shooting it with bird shot,  to simulate bullet holes :ph34r:  there is some crazy stuff out there.....all in the name of art  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

42 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

chances are your going to repaint it......if the roof is not cemented on in any way.  here's something you can try........ lay the desired side flat on a soft surface,  and poke it with a suitable {rod like} tool,  the size you'd like the hole to be.  it will create a jagged broken area.......you will likely need to remove some of the broken stuff.  cement in some framework under the roof,  breaking that as well......if need be.  do not remove the broken stuff......now paint in the desired colors.  I know it sounds archaic.....careless actually,  but then again,  so are cannon balls ;) 

this is a situation where imagination plays a huge part of what you want to see and convey.   I've heard of folks taking a nicely built plane,  and actually shooting it with bird shot,  to simulate bullet holes :ph34r:  there is some crazy stuff out there.....all in the name of art  ;) 

Thank you Denis.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

You should indeed repaint your roofs in grey so that they look like slate as in reality.
Have a hole of 1.5cm² so that you can make 2 or 3 rafters made with strips of 2mm maximum appear underneath.

And then, you should ask a moderator to put all these posts (from post #691 to #704) on your thread so that people following you can see the rest of this discussion.
I don't mind at all on this thread, we're all here to discuss and it's exciting, but your readers (followers) will understand the construction better, I think, won't they? ☺️

Edited by Ekis

3 hours ago, Ekis said:

You should indeed repaint your roofs in grey so that they look like slate as in reality.
Have a hole of 1.5cm² so that you can make 2 or 3 rafters made with strips of 2mm maximum appear underneath.

And then, you should ask a moderator to put all these posts (from post #691) on your thread so that people following you can see the rest of this discussion.
I don't mind at all on this thread, we're all here to discuss and it's exciting, but your readers (followers) will understand the construction better, I think, won't they? ☺️

Im fully happy with that Ekis, if the mods could move those sections over to my Waterlood build  I would be pleased and grateful.

Gratitude to you for yor help and advice with my quiry.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Here is the site as it is: the central base is paved. It's a job this part! 😜

The stones are still rough and not properly sanded, hence the difference with the houses.

I think I'm going to pave the 3 base (the one of the village door), and harmonize everything at the same time...

In short, still a few tens of hours before showing you something realistic !   

The constructions simply put down, not glued:

P2030001.JPG.fed458d48d983805ab566658bac61990.JPG

P2030002.JPG.89d1ee4cc5395b2dd882110f9979fc78.JPG

P2050004.JPG.4f4d61862190df689f9dd518677090a8.JPG

P2050005.JPG.729498665d3cf22bfb3466a6bb2841c8.JPG

P2050006.JPG.a923adcafba7699ae4d1724a49e95974.JPG

P2050007.JPG.534c0ef0ebd0d76eb972cd264214c522.JPG

P2050008.JPG.184955978f5528eac2a339a857df194e.JPG

The central base is empty, but paved!

P2050009.JPG.45db883d95d04e22c2cf1b0c797be277.JPG

In fact, what you see here is the raw pose, but :
- a central flow in each street is already made, but not enough dug,
- other flows are there, but they will not be seen until the shadows/ageing are in place
- some passages of the streets must be sanded to dig them, or bomb them; again, we will not see anything without weathering ...
- the dust will also come to level the whole, to properly incorporate the buildings and to draw some nuances,
- the foams, moulds will reinforce all the effects.

But I wanted to show this step because it represents the heavy base in terms of hours to spend...
It's almost a mosaic! 😁

Ekis, 

Where the streets that formally laid out the majority of the time during that period? I always was under the impression things were more haphazard with regard to smaller and less important structures. I’m just asking.

Also, will the sections of the village be permanently joined together, or left unconnected for portability? You may have already mentioned this when I was distracted by the guys hanging from the rafters dropping things on us. They’re kinda childish.

Kurt 

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

We are NOT childish!..............................:P

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nany, nany, foo, foo..... <pouts>  I'm immature, not childish.  :P:P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

"Hey..............Im only  Ten"😁

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I don't wanna grow up and have to be a responsible adult.

Ken

I’m gonna be 70 the end of next month ( really not sureI how that happened) I do know its not my fault. Any way at this point I guess there's no point worrying about how that happened, it’s done. I guess it makes things easier. I never have to worry about what do when I grow up. it’s just not gonna happen. I guess I have PeterPan syndrome? Best part, it’s not my problem!!

Kurt

I really am just being silly. No intent in being obnoxious. 

Edited by Kurt Johnson

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

8 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Where the streets that formally laid out the majority of the time during that period? I always was under the impression things were more haphazard with regard to smaller and less important structures. I’m just asking.

Also, will the sections of the village be permanently joined together, or left unconnected for portability?

@Kurt Johnson 😉

The 14th is not the High Middle Ages (5th-11th). Much had changed in the planning and organisation of towns and villages. The great cathedrals were almost all completed, castles and large fortified cities were built and feared by all the armies of Europe.
French and English universities are a source of science and knowledge. Agriculture and animal farming are controlled methods of feeding. Finally, trade is numerous thanks to roads and waterways.
So, my little village benefits from all these advances in know-how, and now has cleaner streets (well, like in the Middle Ages, eh!) with a central drain and a sewer to evacuate dirt and rainwater outside the village (to the river...). That's what I'm doing on the 3rd base.
It is for all these reasons that I chose the 14th century!

Well, it's true that for the moment it looks all clean, but I can reassure you: the result won't be as clean and neat! 😁

The 3 bases will never be anything but close to each other. I won't glue them together to be able to transport this whole village easily.
The future port will be made in the same way. 
The whole will make a big puzzle that I will be able to enrich as I wish...

Edited by Ekis

superb progress........a couple of the pictures were especially cool :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

@Ekis im still looking in everyday for an update, at present its my go to log for inspiration,

although im practising with weathering i dont suppose the water will arrive until i have decided and then built a vessels, even then i don't have the space under the water height to put in a full hull 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Fantastic work Ekis  - just jaw dropping  quality.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Superb! The realism is astounding, excellent workmanship 😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED