Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

Awesome!!! 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Roadhouse at one end, the Cloister at the other, with the Manor House in between.... Reflections of the world in that time...

Just perfect......

Well done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Jaw droppingly amazing.  Just an incredible build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

stunning, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Amazing seeing this village come together Ekis. Every time I think you have reached the pinnacle you go and prove me wrong by exceeding the building that went before. I will never get tired of following this build. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ekis,  It’s beautiful. How many villagers are required to drag that gigantic coin to all the current work sites? I like the trestle tables, they are very delicate looking.

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Johnson

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

I'm glad the houses aren't on the fault line.......

no really.......stunning workmanship :)   very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm building the last block of houses for the center of the village. A long time of carpentry!
PB250001.JPG.453f3c16819d4eeb290265e78a357c6a.JPG

PB250002.JPG.882d2cc81e109bddc409d91f84011fd4.JPG

PB250003.JPG.fd7b7b902636df5551ea917f17c4c5ed.JPG

PB250004.JPG.bab9b1e83e71637ecb9004ff62a5e899.JPG

But before going any further, I had had an idea for a long time.
We had to look a little more precisely at what it looked like in the 14th. A windmill to create from scratch.
The reason why we hardly have them anymore in France is that they were totally made of wood. There are only a few re-creations left and the stone bases most of the time. I went to search some archives on the net and here is the result :

PB270005.JPG.fb19dd55981fad5723cd80cb95acb5cf.JPG

PB270006.JPG.5d0b2468733a31247ea5bae1d181dab7.JPG

PB280008.JPG.b5eae2b20a40f6504d93d56b5b21c9b6.JPG

PB280009.JPG.64617ca85487efe3c899fc1018789336.JPG

PB290011.JPG.5eaa426ac9988ddf9524d8c8d0d8455f.JPG

PB290012.JPG.6ceed93479b0a84af9d663d18c49d2aa.JPG

PB290013.JPG.87aa7b303d784a35e0d63c45771240de.JPG

PB290015.JPG.ab16f7469b384ba4d1c00bfb3cab225b.JPG

PB290016.thumb.JPG.c862c793e7545e5f7aceda69aa60bc99.JPG

PB290017.JPG.384fe5d019780afd015298d67f00fb9a.JPG

PB290019.JPG.ceaf14f4d6cf1270c9c76af86f276ea4.JPG

PB290020.JPG.73c29cabeeefdefc926967253d2e3cfb.JPG

PB290022.JPG.336ea03b6475a95de2ad7851f3e73614.JPG

PB290026.JPG.7d38f375e5b9f1951473c34f40a7b3ee.JPG

PB290027.JPG.2b0a777bc1ce37346c699d1de1f3dfeb.JPG

PB290028.JPG.226c68321244bb767717770081678af2.JPG

Superb work on that Mill.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

lovely work, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

As always I am enjoying your creativity and choice of buildings Ekis. By the time you are done this village will be lacking for nothing.

I do have one question though. Although I have seen pictures of windmills almost exactly like the one you have build i wonder about it's placement inside the village walls. Would it  more likely be placed outside the walls where the farmer's fields were and save them the longer trip into the village to get their grain ground into flour. Also there would be a steadier and stronger wind available available outside of town.

Just a question, you are the expert in these maters not I.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Oh no, Another great addition!  Was thinking of something similar but mounting it on the wall.  Before the current war travelled through Syria and spent a few days wandering around Krak de Cheviallers.  There were a number of turrets that I auumed were some type of catapult mounting but turned out to be for windmillls.  I remember there were about 14.

Thanx all ! 😃
@lmagna You're absolutely right, Lou!
That's why this mill must be placed beyond the cloister and the church (at the very edge of the 3rd base of the model), where the fields begin and where the wind is most favourable for the millstone of this mill... 😉

Colonial Williamsburg tests its iconic windmill after ...

This is the windmill in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. It's a copy of a 1631 built English windmill.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

@Canute @Waitoa In fact, the construction of mills has changed little over the centuries. In the 14th century, Europeans brought the idea of windmills back from the Middle East after the first crusades. They built them on the citadels of Syria and elsewhere, and then, once back home, all over the countryside and on the walls of large cities (Carcassonne for example).
The only thing that evolved were the stone bases to make them less fragile, and the canvases on the wings when fabric became more common for everything.
Then the Europeans (and therefore carpenters) migrated to America and reproduced the same constructions with the material (wood) they found in abundance . It is not surprising that the mills are the same!  😀

Edited by Ekis

As I said I am no authority on anything medieval, I don't even get to play an authority on TV, but I think I also may have seen somewhere that water powered mills were built into the city walls when the stream or river ran alongside. May have been some kind of Disney fantasy thing from Snow White as well. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Water mills were often single buildings outside the walls of a bastide or fortified town.
The reason is simple: more often a fortification was built high up on a hill to protect itself and to see the aggressors from further away... So not very close to the banks of a river.

But you're partly right about some cities that evolved from Roman times to the Middle Ages. The Romans mastered water mills perfectly, of course.

Edited by Ekis

Ekis, I was waiting for this one and it was well worth the wait.

To totally misquote Winston Churchill, this is not the end, It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is perhaps the end of the beginning. As far as we’re concerned you have a lot more building to do. So you best get busy! You have no one to blame but yourself.  Like in Little Shop of Horrors “ Feed me!” 
( I’m not sure at all if that translates transatlantically.) If that made no sense PM me and I’ll try and explain.

At any rate keep up the wonderful work.

Kurt

Just catching up Ekis and I see the superb work continues.  Your village is coming along beautifully!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

8 hours ago, Ekis said:

In fact, the construction of mills has changed little over the centuries. In the 14th century, Europeans brought the idea of windmills back from the Middle East after the first crusades. They built them on the citadels of Syria and elsewhere, and then, once back home, all over the countryside and on the walls of large cities (Carcassonne for example).
The only thing that evolved were the stone bases to make them less fragile, and the canvases on the wings when fabric became more common for everything.
Then the Europeans (and therefore carpenters) migrated to America and reproduced the same constructions with the material (wood) they found in abundance . It is not surprising that the mills are the same!  😀

The workings haven't changed in centuries, just advanced in materials and design.... somewhere along the way the dutch perfected the method of allowing the wind itself (using sails) to set the angle of the blades to the wind making them, (by rotating the house) much, much, more efficient, and could therefore be built much, much larger on permanent stone bases.... But they are basically the same as these rotating houses on stilts which are rotated by hand....

That sir is modeling excellence, especially for a primarily wooden structure..... You scratchbuilding master jedi you.....

Impressive....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Ekis, I would love to see the mill as a larger, maybe 1:50 scale, stand alone model, with all the stops pulled out. Of course with the lord’s permission when he deems the village is completed to his exacting standards. Maybe he has some connections with the current government to find sufficient monies to fund such a project. He could be a powerful patron. It’s your civic duty to the greater glory of France.  I he won’t help, I’ll have a word with them.

Back to reality. Which part gives you more pleasure, the stone work or the carpentry? Or is it just what you happen to be doing at the moment? For me it would be how I would approach the next issue while trying to go to sleep the night before.

Regards,

Kurt

Thanks Kurt! 😉
I think that after this village is totally finished, I will come back to the boats... Some have been waiting for me for a long time!

To answer you about the construction of this village, what I like the most, apart from the vision of the whole, is to take each element, each building, as a whole project and to carry it through to the end having implemented all the ideas!
For each construction, I think about how to build it, the reason of this building in the village, the construction at the time... As individual models, and no matter the materials: only the result counts!

Just remember, we’re all supposed to meet at the tavern ( including those rafter hangers ) to celebrate some guy named Ekis and his accomplishments. I hope with all the straw on the floor a fire doesn’t “accidentally” get started. Hopefully no one would be hurt. It could however mean the entire village would have to be rebuilt. 

Look at what happened to Chicago in America. I wonder if they would allow a cow into the celebration, they’re letting rafter hangers and I’ve never heard of cows voluntarily hang from rafters.

Kurt

For those unfamiliar with the story in 1871 Chicago had a terrible fire, destroying most of the city, killing thousands, leaving thousands homeless. Legend has it a Mrs O’Leary’s cow kicked over a lantern which began the fire. So maybe there should be security at the door checking for cows.

Kurt, as one of the rafter sitters, I can firmly state that there are no cows up here.    A few pigeons, a pile of dust bunnies, but no cows.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That’s a relief, from what I’ve heard “it's a good thing cows don’t fly, ‘cause the world is full of so much bull, it’s a good thing cows don’t fly!”

Sorry, just couldn’t resist that, it took me back to 3rd grade.🤣