HM Cutter Alert by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Beautiful job!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Beautiful work and perfectly set off with the case Tim 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

VTH, I started looking at you log because I am interested in also building the Alert. I am currently building the Fifie in 1/32.  I also noted the communications with Chris Watton, whom I admire, and whose builds have help me in my own build. I welcome his comments on the new version of the Alert.

Like you, I used to call Lakeland my home for many years. Now I am retired and live in Bradenton and perhaps one of these days we will meet. I have read your first and last logs and I am very impressed. Thanks

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

On 5/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, Ras Ambrioso said:

call Lakeland my home for many years. Now I am retired and live in Bradenton and perhaps one of these days we will meet. I have read your first and last logs and I am very impressed. Thanks

I'm glad that they have been some help! I actually live out on the Space Coast (I was vague in the location so I suppose it decided I was from Lakeland 🙂 ). Definitely would be great to meet up with some modeler's in the "general" vicinity. I'll have to hop on over and check out your Fifie build!

VTH,

Great to see another beautiful piece of work from Florida!!!  The acrylic case was new for me and will be in my back pocket for future use.  Do you have pics of the jig set up that you used?  

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan!

24 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Do you have pics of the jig set up that you used?  

I do, I was embarrassed to post them though (it’s quite crude 😬) so I crossed my fingers that no one would ask 😄. I’m certain there are much better ways but it seemed to work okay for me and hopefully someone can use these pictures to inspire them to make a better jig.

I cut down 2x4’s to fit the top of the case and provide supports for the larger front/back.

75B53EF4-6CB9-4903-A829-B1ED01651C0D.thumb.jpeg.49380427c2b6ffa0df8e689610ec2826.jpeg
I needed to slide some extra 2x4 scrap under the top to ensure a tight fit before welding the pieces together. If I did this over again I would probably make a flat base of some sort to prevent the top from bowing down, but the added support solved this hurdle.

C4A99329-B1B9-4336-9295-79E9B2987DC8.thumb.jpeg.21b8f772106238d75fff1cb18efc77e8.jpeg

Here you can see the backing ripped away near the joint so that I could apply the weld. I didn’t want to peel everything back and accidentally scratch the pieces in the process.

016CD5FA-BB4E-4281-AB87-9FC1311C6033.thumb.jpeg.6a41e39b4b9ee409d918944d2699c3f8.jpeg

Next I rotated the case so that a side was now on the bottom and welded that to the existing side and top (this picture was taken after while weld fully cured). You can barely make it out, there are pictures later, but I also used plenty of tape to ensure the seams stayed tight.
0CFAB7B9-74CD-428E-A207-90C8453679A4.thumb.jpeg.8d42048e77d1dfcfe6cdf8f163219b61.jpeg

44768D4E-AB7A-4B5B-80F4-44803B08D750.thumb.jpeg.92dc5de8587cc4193c3e4acf5f94812c.jpeg

The above picture was also removed from the jig to fully cure, but once again the case was rotated to make a new “bottom.” All my welds were done on the bottom. In the absence of a jackstand a tee-ball tee worked wonders to support the already connected side. Below is one last shot showing some of the tape that was also used.

909A3DAB-304E-46D4-BFE2-41EC4854701B.thumb.jpeg.d48bcfab4b9df417c7205b103612cbff.jpeg

Hope that helps some - did I mention that my methods were quite crude?

Thank you very much for posting these photos.   Worth far more than a thousand words to be sure!!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 4 months later...

Doooood, you crushed this build log, and what a beautiful ship and case and presentation.  AWESOME WORK.

Nice work on the model and the case. Time for you to start your Cheerful😁

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

25 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Time for you to start your Cheerful😁

Thanks! All I can say is step one of my next project arrived today 😬:

6F1B4397-5834-4A8F-BA84-BB9BB8EDCEE2.thumb.jpeg.736d361b48911ad2875994f484077372.jpeg

Fantastic model and beautifully displayed in that elegant case! Is that the Cheerful in the box?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

15 minutes ago, BobG said:

Fantastic model and beautifully displayed in that elegant case! Is that the Cheerful in the box?

Thank you! No, not the Cheerful. I’ll throw a log up when I get a little farther a long with my card model that I’m experimenting with.