1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II by Jack12477 - 1:24 - Italeri - FINISHED

Jack12477

awesome job Jack!   congratz to a job well done :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Turned out really nice Jack. I still like the Future coat over the model plastic to give a painted look.

Did you ever think that back in those days many streets outside of major metropolitan cities were possibly not lit at all, and certainly not roads between towns and cities. It could probably get pretty dark out on a rainy night!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks, Lou 

Even the cities were pretty dark back. Gaslites did not illuminate well.   I left a couple lights off the model. ;)

Edited by Jack12477

I suspect that by 1934 most of the city lights in England and Europe where this car was primarily sold had switched to electric lighting. But even then, If it was anything like my street where several of the houses were built just prior to the turn of the century and the rest just after, there were not that many street lights. My block does not have even one street light. Strangely enough though we do have an alley light, though it is partly covered by the 100+ year old tree in my back yard and does not cast all that much light up or down the alley. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

My neighborhood was build in 1955 to 1960 when IBM opened their big plant in Kingston.  When we moved  here in 1972 they still did not have street lights at all, finally got them in the mid 1980s and then only on every 6th or 7th telephone pole.  We have those sodium vapor lights. 

Brother, if you ever wanted to realize what dark looks like, live on top of an isolated mountain in West Virginia like my wife and I did in the early 80's. It was one of those places where you literally could not see your hand directly in front of your face on many nights. Made the mistake of staying at my father-in-law's house too late one night and when I got to the gravel road that led up the mountain to our house, realized my truck could not make the climb, too much ice even with chains on all four of my 4x4. No flashlight, hiked a mile uphill in total darkness to our house. Ridiculous is what that was.

I suspect the lights we do have are also sodium vapor as cities don't like high electrical bills. I could be wrong but as I said we don't really have that many street lights compared to some cities.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

It was like that when as a teen when I first started driving. I lived in central California in the Redwoods. Nights could get pretty dark, especially in the rain! On the other hand on full moon nights when it was clear we used to try and see how far we could drive on the mountain roads with our lights turned off. Some nights when we did not come across other cars we could go quite far.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

All I have to do to drive in total darkness is drive to the end of my street and head south on the main road, in less than a mile it is pitch black.  Or even take a ride out toward Woodstock, complete darkness.   

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Classy looking car, Jack. Well done.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Looks Super,    very nice details.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks great, Jack.  As for the lights... don't tell anyone you didn't use them all.   If I remember right, the two down low were for fog.  Then two for "low beams" and two more for the equivalent of "high beams".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

17 hours ago, mtaylor said:

If I remember right, the two down low were for fog.  Then two for "low beams" and two more for the equivalent of "high beams".

I hear reminiscing of the poor gentry ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys.

I have just joined this forum to help complete the story of this plastic kit Rolls-Royce.

The model is based on a single example of the Phantom II chassis so is a unique one-off car. It was built for Indian ruler, Thakore Sahib Dharmendrasinhji Lakhajiraj, eldest son of Lakhajiraj III Bawajiraj, who became ruler upon the death of his father on 2nd February 1930. Early in his reign, he ordered a Rolls-Royce Phantom II to replace the 1909 Barker-bodied Silver Ghost open-drive landaulet (chassis number 60797) that he had inherited from his father. Chassis 188PY was duly completed at the Rolls-Royce works at Derby and dispatched to London coachbuilders Thrupp and Maberly for a handsome and striking All-Weather Cabriolet body.

His Highness’s new car was painted saffron ochre, a shade which symbolised purity, while the bonnet and wings were left in polished aluminium. The interior was trimmed in ochre leather, and the wood dashboard was marbled with saffron paste. It had steerable driving lights and two small lights that flashed orange, signalling that the road should be cleared for its royal passenger. There were searchlights on each side, with smaller lights attached to the windshield, each with a mirror on its back side. The Rajkot state crest appeared on the doors and side windows along with the motto “Dharmi praja raja,” meaning “An impartial ruler of men of all faiths.” The back of the front seats has a lovely half moon and full moon design made of ivory and dark semi-precious stones, with two small ivory elephant heads in the middle.

Many enthusiasts call this car the Rajkot Rolls-Royce but it has a more sedate name of...The Star of India.

Any model of this car should really be painted the same but personal tastes will always allow some change.

I admire this build by Jack, he has done a good job but I notice he has accidentally knocked the Silver Lady mascot so she is falling over...please see to this Jack, no Lady should be falling over!

RAJKOT 2.JPG

RAJKOT 3.jpg

RAJKOT 4.jpg

RAJKOT 5.jpg

Interesting history! Thanks

Oh the Lady was fixed a while ago, just never updated the photos

Edited by Jack12477