GEMMA 1863 by Bitao - 1:36 - Legurian Tartane from Ancre plans

Beautiful work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Superb work ! All is exactly as it should be !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Perfection is an understatement of you work.  Truly a piece of art.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Just wow.  The details are pure magic. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wonderful craftsmanship; a joy to see these updates.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

HYW, I am very impressed with the quality of your work and the model, but in this instance I feel that you are reducing the overall quality of the model in not using 'studded" or stud-link chain for your cable.  After making that excellent swivel link, I think the cable deserves to be studded?  This chain can be sourced reasonably cheaply, but with your skills I think you can make it?  The more 'learned' here may be able to offer better advice, but I think English and French (pretty much all) ships were using stud-link cable at this point?

Please accept this as a very MINOR criticism/suggestion and I remain an avid onlooker of your very fine work.

regards

Pat

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

HYW, I am very impressed with the quality of your work and the model, but in this instance I feel that you are reducing the overall quality of the model in not using 'studded" or stud-link chain for your cable.  After making that excellent swivel link, I think the cable deserves to be studded?  This chain can be sourced reasonably cheaply, but with your skills I think you can make it?  The more 'learned' here may be able to offer better advice, but I think English and French (pretty much all) ships were using stud-link cable at this point?

Please accept this as a very MINOR criticism/suggestion and I remain an avid onlooker of your very fine work.

regards

Pat

Thank you for your comments and suggestions! That's all I need. After all, I've been building sailboats for less than five years, and I still have a lot to learn. I don't know much about the ship, but I only have drawings and reference photos of the winning work. Of course, I think I'll do my best, it's my ability, but it's my fault for not doing it. I think in the future only in the production process more strict can be better. I hope you can point out my shortcomings. Thanks again! :cheers:

Hi Pat

I had the impression that stud-link chain was only used on much larger ships than this one?  Looking through the pictures in Basil Greenhill's "The Merchant Schooners", I can't see any using stud link chain on their ground tackle. If you have a copy, Plate 79 has a particularly clear picture of the anchor windlass on the schooner "Result" (itself a later vessel and a fair bit larger than GEMMA) as an example.

Edited by Tony Hunt

I actually wondered myself a while ago, since when studded links came into use and down to what size of chain. I think one of the picture of the GREAT EASTERN from the 1850s shows huge studded links for her anchor chain, but small chains even today are not studded.

I would agree, however, that the material for the links on the chain above is a bit on the thin end.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

28 minutes ago, wefalck said:

I actually wondered myself a while ago, since when studded links came into use and down to what size of chain. I think one of the picture of the GREAT EASTERN from the 1850s shows huge studded links for her anchor chain, but small chains even today are not studded.

I would agree, however, that the material for the links on the chain above is a bit on the thin end.

Yes, I thought the same thing. The chain in use on most of the historical photos of small craft that I've looked at tends to be smaller links and much "chunkier".  Often the two adjoining links almost fill the hole formed by each link.

9 hours ago, BANYAN said:

regards

Pat

Hi. I read the introduction to the book today. I still don't understand that bolt. Maybe I misunderstood. I wanted to see if I could do it again. If at all possible. Can you send me a detailed picture? Thank you

Pat was referring to this kind of chain:

marine-stud-link-anchor-chains.jpg

From: http://www.cqhisea.com/m/productshow.php?cid=112&id=1123

It is common among larger ships and from the early(?) decades of the 19th on. Due to the difficulty in reproducing it, it is often neglected by modellers. There are now some apparently very good 3D-printed products on the market.

However, we were discussing, whether studded chain would be really appropriate for your type of ship and period. In any case, the thickness of the material of your chain seems to be rather thin.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

23 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Pat was referring to this kind of chain:

marine-stud-link-anchor-chains.jpg

From: http://www.cqhisea.com/m/productshow.php?cid=112&id=1123

It is common among larger ships and from the early(?) decades of the 19th on. Due to the difficulty in reproducing it, it is often neglected by modellers. There are now some apparently very good 3D-printed products on the market.

However, we were discussing, whether studded chain would be really appropriate for your type of ship and period. In any case, the thickness of the material of your chain seems to be rather thin.

Wefalck, I get it! I noticed that before I did this, there are a lot of boats that have this detail. But I'm sure it's not in the drawings or the books, and the same is true of the three Italian masters I've been reading. If so, it won't be hard, but it will take some time. I love the pursuit of every detail that has accurate plotting data, and this is the highest level we can aspire to. Thank you very much for your help! There is a real difficulty in understanding different languages.:wacko:

Sorry for not getting back earlier HYW; distracted with other matters.  I think Tony and Wefalck have answered the questions you had.  As there is not a lot of material on the subject, your model, representing a smaller vessel, may indeed had standard link cable only.

Either way, you are doing a wonderful job with the build.

cheers

Pat

The increased weight of stud-link chain (33%?) vs standard link may have been a determining factor to use or not use stud-link chain on a particular ship?

Edited by Keith Black

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

Sorry for not getting back earlier HYW; distracted with other matters.  I think Tony and Wefalck have answered the questions you had.  As there is not a lot of material on the subject, your model, representing a smaller vessel, may indeed had standard link cable only.

Either way, you are doing a wonderful job with the build.

cheers

Pat

Thank you for watching my production. Because I didn't know enough about something, the only thing I could do was follow the drawings, but I wanted to do as much detail as possible to make it perfect. I hope you can point out the mistakes. I don't mind. :cheers: