Zara by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Italian heavy cruiser

I'm late to the party yet again :(  That'll teach me to hang out in the back streets!

Great subject matter for this build Greg; should be another beauty.  Geez that PE is nice, I would love to know how they do it so cleanly.  I am seriously thinking of taking this (PE) up  so that I can do more detail in my builds a little more cheaply.

Ok, I'll get back in the peanut gallery now.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

2 hours ago, BANYAN said:

I am seriously thinking of taking this (PE) up  so that I can do more detail in my builds a little more cheaply.

CHEAPLY !?!?!?!?!?!? :omg:

3 hours ago, RGL said:

So this arrived today

That looks real nice

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 1 month later...

Oooh. I’m loving this! 

You’re having a bad influence on me. I had to go dig through the stash, and found my old Artwox Varyag.  Now I’m thinking about building microscale ships...

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

55 minutes ago, ErnieL said:

Oooh. I’m loving this! 

You’re having a bad influence on me. I had to go dig through the stash, and found my old Artwox Varyag.  Now I’m thinking about building microscale ships...

I guess a kick start is needed then......

He did that one also...  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/10828-protected-cruiser-varyag-by-rgl-finished-artwox-1350-plastic-resin-and-photoetch/?tab=comments#comment-327892

And there's also one in Scratch Build area (not by RGL)

I think my work at creating mayhem in the ranks is done.  I'll wander off now.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, ErnieL said:

Oooh. I’m loving this! 

Did you see Joseph Lavender's models? That is some amazing micro-scale. Gregs models are huge compared to his. No Varyag, however.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Looking good Greg, that PE seems very well scaled re thickness - the doors looks excellent.

cheers

Pat

1 hour ago, RGL said:

My plan is to have it to the side, this is a photo of a 1/100 scratch build which led me to believe the kit may not be accurate! 

you won’t build it? How about Seydlitz?

That's nice, gives away the innards of the ship, a taste of what's to appear. Will be hard to copy at 1/350 ...

Nah, mate, although you make it seems so easy ... Seydlitz, I can see her from my desk whilst working, but need to get my head on straight. I can't do much more than a spit or a fokker at 1/72 presently. To messed up because I'm working where I'm modelling too. I've been in the same room for over 8 weeks, feels like a straight jacket, and makes(?) me a mental case

Carl

14 hours ago, cog said:

I've been in the same room for over 8 weeks, feels like a straight jacket, and makes(?) me a mental case

Carl, I thought that was your normal state of being ;) :)  👅

Greg, that will look great; will you be training the turrets off to one side also?

cheers

Pat

11 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Carl, I thought that was your normal state of being

Now I can't keep up appearances anymore, Pat

10 hours ago, RGL said:

I’ll have to, ive never glued them down anyways 

You turret them around or what ...

Carl

superb progress Greg.........quite an array of goodies you got for her ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 5/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, cog said:

I've been in the same room for over 8 weeks, feels like a straight jacket, and makes(?) me a mental case

I thought I was theonly one going crazy, but apparently not.

The sooner we go back to normal, the better, as far as I'm concerned. The officeis for work, the home for building and messing around. Mixing those up, isnot a good strategy. (Atleast: not for me)

Jan

I’ve been lucky enough (if you can call it that) to be able to go in to work and continue as normal. The advantage of living on an island we have only lost 101. 

anyways, the bow area painted red and white for identification. Step one. A day of dryng the I can start on the Hull, then start the weathering and filtering processes. 

0967CC88-2181-4373-9BC5-EC78032C23B5.jpeg

Greg

nice........and to think that everything stacked on top will have to be in sync........   this is gonna look awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks almost like a sub in the last photograph ... next build ... a German sub like Yves built ...

Shading came out very well, even on the dark surface, you seem to be able to keep improving on yourself with every build

(by the way, I loved Musashi from Eiji Yoshikawa, red it four times, do you have the book of five rings?)

Carl