Your coil and rope work is looking amazing on this build.  Great job :cheers:

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Better late than never...

Nice result! It's a pity there is almost no way of gettings these kits into Europe without exceptionally high import taxes.....

(Customs will add tranportation costs to the value of the packaage, and than compute a tax based on value of the kit plus transportation. That turns a relatively non-expensive kit into a quite expensive one..)

Jan

Edited by amateur

Great work Robbyn--a very fine looking longboat! :) Looking forward to your Syren! Oh, btw if you purchase a half face respirator, be sure to get organic filters and use them in the mask otherwise you're not protected from the vapors of most chemicals we work with.

Jay

Jay, does that mean a mask rated for paint is no good for epoxy or CA fumes?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam, I looked up the masks, and found them available through Walmart (and many other places) with the organic fillters, the description of the product says it is good for paint too??? I was a bit surprised, I though they would cost more than the $35 price tag I saw. I am definitely going to invest in one as soon as I can though!

Thank you to everyone for the kind words, and for all the encouragement you gave me along the way.

IT IS OFFICIAL! I HAVE COMPLETED MY FIRST BUILD post-127-0-05471500-1383792246.gif

Now, tomorrow I can answer the call of the Syren post-127-0-31553700-1383792325.png

After, of course, I clean up all the bits and left over pieces from the longboat.

I am also looking forward to finishing the running rigging on the SF II, Keith (themadchemist) was very kind and sent me the blocks from his kit since he upgraded to Chuck's, so now I have the parts to finish her off as well!

post-127-0-37085700-1383792482_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-28747600-1383792492_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-12666800-1383792516_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-33316700-1383792526_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-36094400-1383792541_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Well done m'lady !

One down, how many to go ??

She looks beautiful, you should be proud of it.

Steve

very very nice Robbyn :) your first masterpiece of many

now go and start your Syren build log so I can get my seat at the front ;)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

lovely work, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

post-76-0-00349300-1383891388.gifpost-76-0-00349300-1383891388.gif  Congratulations!!! And very well done...  time for a happy dance!!!  post-76-0-19490800-1383891389.gif 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congrats Robbyn !

She's a real beauty !

You have done proud to her.

Now I'm off ,running to the room where I can see the birth of the Syren  :D  :D  :D

Adriaan, make room for me please......

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Yipee!  :dancetl6:        Congrats on finishing your first. She's a fine little longboat and at her scale no small feat (pun intended).

I like your plan to plank and rig. That way you can always switch hit when one starts to bore, although the SF2 should be a 2nd complete build fairly shortly as its near completion with just running rigging to go.

One thing that may have had you confused on the sheaves/blocks situation, IIRC the AL blocks only have one hole on the single blocks. I'm not sure about the MS kit blocks, but Chucks blocks have both the top and bottom holes. i.e. 2 holes in a single block and 4 in a double. If you were use to using the AL blocks on the SF that may have thrown you off when you saw 2 holes on the single blocks.

Robbyn & Sam, I nearly forgot about Sam's question on mask filters. Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are your go-to sources for personal protection when it comes to chemicals and etc.--just Google a product or generic name and include MSDS in the search criteria; you'll get a lot of hits on what you're looking for.

Organic vapor filters will provide a wider spectrum of protection (i.e., more bang for your buck) and are recommended for CA. Mask filters are sorta like condoms, you'll never go wrong with having too much protection! :P When you're not using a mask, store it in a ziplock bag with as much air pushed out as possible. Replace your filters according to the mfg.'s recommendation (usually six months to a year, with some variables). Organic filters are more expensive but in comparison to one's health, they're a bargain! :)

Cheers,

Jay

Current Build:

Congratulations on completing your longboat build Robbyn. You've done a terrific job.

Your completion is inspiring me to get in gear to finish up my own longboat project. So, now I'm busily trying to get caught up. It should be very soon and I'm only hoping it will turn out as nice as yours.

Well done!

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Good call Jay :cheers:

Also - Fisher Scientific has the best MSDS's. They are typically 10 to 15 pages and include much more info then many of the condensed MSDS put out by other companies. They also have a better format , although MSDS are standardized, not all are equal. Fisher is where I acquired all my MSDS's for my labs. I use to teach my freshman how to read an MSDS, its a very important tool for the work place... and play place if it contains hazardous chemicals.

Just an FYI from your friendly neighbouthood mad chemist :dancetl6:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Robbyn that is fantastic!! Congratulations on finishing your first build, feels awesome doesn't it!!

And it looks amazing!   I never realized how small it is, but you got a lot of good work in there and it looks like a mighty fine model!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull