18th Century Longboat by Shaz (Robbyn) - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Robbyn, the hull is looking very good. My kit arrived Friday, now I have to clean my shipyard, before I start :)

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Robbyn, the hull is looking very good. My kit arrived Friday, now I have to clean my shipyard, before I start :)

Well get to cleaning...she is a fun and challenging little build!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Robbyn,

If you have glue residue in between the frames, the way i got rid of it and also leveled out the planking was

to use a curved #11 exacto blade and gently scraped it away, very little room to get sandpaper etc... in

there.

Enjoy your new sparklys.

ben

Ok, one quick pic because I promised, and I always try to keep my promises. need to sand the painted hull one more time, but I am letting the paint "set" until tomorrow.

Friezes are on and 1st little "strip" that borders and sets off the friezes.

still thinking I would have preferred it without the painted hull......

post-127-0-32346100-1371007181_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Very nicely done, Robbyn.  I guess your not a real fan of painting?   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

still thinking I would have preferred it without the painted hull......

Hmmmmm....  I'm thinking...... maybe you're thinking too much ?? :D

Looks good from here!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looks great Robbyn... I think we may be on the same page here... I too am not a huge fan of obscuring good wood behind paint or copper plates but sometimes it does look good...for instance in this case with your longboat :) The paint works with the friezes and just wait for that red.... it'll pop!

Okay, Okay...I do agree, the paint has some aesthetic value lol.

It has very kindly, thoughtfully, and tactfully  been brought to my attention, that my waterline is incorrect. The waterline is, as most of you know, supposed to be a straight horizontal line, and as you can see mine is not. :( I thank the person who took the time to point out my error to me, as that is exactly what I hope for and expect from the other builders here. :D

I did try to make a waterline marker...and every time I marked it out, the stupid pencil still insisted on following the lines (curves) of the hull rather than staying perfectly horizontal. post-127-0-74974100-1371040228.gif

Well, 3 days...40 thin coats of paint with sanding between each layer....she is going to have to stay as she is

I honestly think, my subconscious got involved here. Personally, when I look at the historically accurate models and replicas, my eyes are drawn to that painted water line, and my mind hates it because the straight line goes against the lines of the hull. it seems to insult my sense of flow, and design. Pretty much why I didn't want to paint it in the first place. So I am betting that as much as my logical mind was trying to create a perfectly horizontal waterline...the more creative and aesthetically driven parts of my brain were rebelling and where the line ended up was a kind of compromise between the two.

I can live with it, and when I look at her, I see the sweeping lines I prefer, so...to everyone here, I apologize if my feminine side causes consternation. But as I am a girl...I like it!!  :P And I will live with it.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Another "girl" is going to add her two cents worth. :)  Those same parts exist in my brain:

"creative and aesthetically driven parts of my brain were rebelling"

Mine would probably rebel also...have to say I like the sweeping lines, even though not correct. This is one reason I didn't paint my previous build...dear knows what I would have done with the paint! :P  :D

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

I don't think it's a M/F thing at all.  Who among us doesn't swoon over the sheer line of a classic vessel?  Robbyn has simply underlined it for us!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Robbyn,

I had the same issues with the painted waterline as you did. I disagree that it is a horizontal line. Due to the fact that it is on a surface that is a compound curve, it is ONLY a straight line when you look at it with your eyes at the waterline level. Otherwise, it appears non-straight.

I was able to mark my waterline with a super high-tech waterline marker (see my build log). Once it was marked, but before painted, I sank the model up to the waterline in a tin of sugar. The waterline was correct. I did the same after it was painted. Waterline correct. Sure didn't LOOK correct. I think this is why I like the SULTANA where the whites tuff is not painted below the waterline, rather it is below the wale. It is visually pleasing.

The other option is to NOT paint below the waterline. I would think that this would unbalance the visual of the model, with a lot of plain on the bottom and a lot of fancy on top. However, one of the San Diego fleet was not painted below the waterline...and it looked fine.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck makes and interesting point.  It's the kind of thing we all 'know' but never express or really resolve in our heads.

Thanks, Chuck.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wow, it has been a busy, busy week, very little time for building, but the dog run is in now, and the yard is mowed again :blink: .

In between all the other real life issues, I did manage to finish painting. Unfortunately I did NOT get that nice crisp edge on the top rail :angry: . I should have scraped the edge...DO NOT LIKE this soft fuzzy basswood!!  the sandpaper gave me too much rounding so I have that white edge showing around my red....oh well...it too will stay :P

post-127-0-93727300-1371256658_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-49293600-1371256674_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looks great Robbyn.  Once you start adding all the goodies to the inside, there should be enough distraction so it won't be noticed.  I had to look several times to see what you were talking about.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What's wrong with that Robbyn??????

I wish my paint job looked that good!

Keep on going and sooner you can do the rigging at the……SF

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Obviously, you set very high standards for yourself. I'd be pretty satisfied with that paint job.... however, knowing you and seeing your work to date... that vessel is gonna get a dunk in mineral spirits, a thorough sanding and a repaint :P Admit it... you've thought of it haven't you? :rolleyes:

Don't be so hard on yourself Robbyn, it looks great from here.

Thanks Grant, I know, I know, I wanted perfection....but my human failings prevent it

I agree it looks really good Robbyn

Adriaan, thank you...and btw...where is your pics of all the lights, I am waiting......

Looks great Robbyn.  Once you start adding all the goodies to the inside, there should be enough distraction so it won't be noticed.  I had to look several times to see what you were talking about.

Thanks Mark. I know, most everyone else wont see it, so I should be satisfied...but...dang it anyway!!

What's wrong with that Robbyn??????

I wish my paint job looked that good!

Keep on going and sooner you can do the rigging at the……SF

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Serving machine "should" be delivered Monday, then I can get back to the SF and finish her up. Amazing how excited I am to go back to re-do the rigging, but she is my first, and I do so want to take her to completion!

Obviously, you set very high standards for yourself. I'd be pretty satisfied with that paint job.... however, knowing you and seeing your work to date... that vessel is gonna get a dunk in mineral spirits, a thorough sanding and a repaint :P Admit it... you've thought of it haven't you? :rolleyes:

Randy, lol, yes, I confess, the thought crossed my mind...but I am NOT going to do that. I have come to the conclusion on some things, you just have to be content and say "next time I will do better". Hmmmm, I was thinking there was no way to just remove paint from that top rail without messing up the hull paint job, and this hull is paper thin as it is and would not stand up to any additional sanding. Then, because of your post it did pop into my head to just make a new top rail.........Dang it Randy!!!!

Well, I am off to Nebraska for the weekend, I will let that idea simmer for a bit....hmmm...I wish I had some scraps 1/2" x 1/16" of some sort of hardwood. It wouldn't matter what kind, the paint will hide it all anyway but at least a hardwood would hold that sharp edge...hmmm.....

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looks good Robbyn.

On basswood, I've found the the darker the colour, the hard it is... but it's still easy to round and doesn't hold an edge like cherry for example.

The paint looks fine and it won't be so noticable once she's rigged but if your serious I have some 1.5mm x 6mm cherry, IIRC. Cut to length it would fit in a bubble mailer easily, if your interested. I also have a mixture of others but they are 2 x 5.

Have fun on your roadtrip.