VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO by MadDogMcQ - Panart Art.730 - 1:28

PLANKING & STUFF 

Day-4

Today I spent a little time on the Vaporetto inbetween other things. I thought I'd get some planking done, but only managed 2 planks per side 😂

017.jpg.e93c17d8736ac6212e96f65d895eab7c.jpg

I then decided to do something easier and started to cut 74 pieces of aluminium rod to make up the seats.

018.jpg.4162801046fe2a7101157e6ecd5a9b68.jpg

019.jpg.af496cb7ed88c6d150f76ca67f4da428.jpg

I thought it was going to be repetitive but simple, but it turns out it was me that's simple 😂 because during the mock-up of the first bench seat, I put a fold forward instead of backwards, lol. Good job I didn't make a big batch of them 🙄

020.jpg.5d8e6d7c169c0f82809084dfdc78207d.jpg

I wish this thing had the sort of instructions that James H does!

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

30 minutes ago, James H said:

Great stuff!

You should send your log photos to Panart to re-do their instructions 🤣

They could use the help.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I started forming these bench-frames using a small vice and that's where I ended up making a mistake with the angles. Let me give you a bit of advice - forget the vice - just use a pair of long-nose pliers. It's massively quicker and easier! 

MAKE ONE PERFECT BENCH FRAME and then use it as your guide for the other 21 frames. Cut the aluminium rod pieces  (110mm long) and then using your "perfect" frame as a template, form the others with the pliers. It's quick and easy!

021.jpg.1951ea724c791ad293acf87c6ba73602.jpg

022.jpg.b621665235ec64aff069317e883e39d2.jpg

023.jpg.5dd9ba132326fc02dd5ebbbef906e74f.jpg

I then painted the wooden seat part in Light Blue and later coated them in Tamiya Flat Clear. I'll see how they look when they dry and may add more coats. After that, I decided to cover the inside of the hull with "Hull Red" just so it doesn't have an unfinished appearance when you remove the cabin for accessing the RC parts. Having already painted the seats, I knew that my tiny Tamiya paint pots wouldn't go very far at all when it came to painting the bulkheads so I made up my own Hull Red (roughly) with some acrylic paint tubes. I used Cadmuim Red and Burnt Umber. When the planking is done, it'll be relatively easy to finish off the inner painting.

024.jpg.321ba3c4009245fbad24bedbce288ba1.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

• 3 weeks later...

Great start Tom!  And love the organized work space!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, just a quick note to say that I've not fell off the edge of the world - I've just had some quite serious and draining personal stuff going on, which has meant that I've had not time for much modelling. I hope to make some progress this weekend, but without the advantage of using Superglue because it really does cause massive irritation to my sinuses 😝

Hope you're all keeping well.

Tom.

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Sorry to hear of your personal troubles Tom - hope things get sorted soon for you. On the CA glue side of things, try using a respirator with an organic vapour filter - it’s about the only way I can use the stuff without making myself seriously ill for several days.

Hey Tom, good to hear from you.  Hope all is well over there.

As Grant suggested, a respirator mask might do the trick.  I don't use one when building models, but when I turn pens and add a CA finish (which requires lots of CA), I use one of those 3M masks with two pink cartridges.  Can't smell a thing.  The one issue with those masks is that they are a bit heavy, so working hunched over doing fine detail work on a model over a long period of time may put some stress on the neck.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

21 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Hey Tom, ....3M masks with two pink cartridges....

I think you must be talking about the 3M 2097 type but I cannot find any available in the UK 😞

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Tom, this is the set I have been using.  With Covid, wouldn't be surprised if masks and cartridges are still hard to come by.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHLRC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mike

• 3 months later...

Please excuse my absence - there are two reasons - the first one is I HATE PLANKING and the second one is I have been spending a lot of time with my other hobbies - Amateur Radio, Photography, FlightSims and Painting (not to mention being busy at work).

So - the planking - oh dear, I don't think I will ever build a ship where my planking will be visible 😂 I'm just useless at it! Mind you, I do believe I've learned a little from my mistakes on this build. Anyway, the hull is planked and I spent today sat outside filling and sanding, filling and sanding. Because it will be a painted hull, I know from experience that every blemish will show through, so I'm being as careful as I can. I didn't take any photos of my planking progress because I have nothing to offer any builders. 

Before applying the first coat of paint to the hull, I intend to apply some Stopper. I did this on the St Roch and it worked out well.

Hope you're all keeping well.

Regards, Tom.

sanding.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

so do I

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

everyone has something to offer Tom..........even in planking ;)   help is only a picture away.  glad to hear your doing OK.......there are other good glues that are comparable to CA........tite bond might be good to use.  I know.........the fumes sometimes gets to me too.......makes my eyes sting a bit.

hope to see more......I'll try and check in more often  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well, I sanded, filled, sanded, filled and sanded some more until I got the hull pretty smooth but nowhere near as smooth as my ST ROCH hull for some reason. It's reached a point where I feel hesitant to sand much more for fear of going through the hull. I can (by tapping) detect thinner areas of the hull, so I'm stopping here.

I applied some coats of undercoat and very lightly sanded those before applying a base coat of colour (Hull Red). Rather stupidly I used my Iwata Airbrush which only has a fine needle in it, so it was like painting the Titanic with a 1" brush!! The subsequent coats will be painted with my Aztec airbrush which has a range of nozzles including some which are more appropriate for the size of this project.

I haven't decided on a final colour for the lower hull, but it will obviously need to be a brighter red, with a black band at the top.

Stay safe, Tom.

aztec_4709_aztek+airbrush.jpg

!hull2.jpg

!hull1.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Good idea James - I might try that. Boy your work is just stunning!! 

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

I think either Tamiya or Mr. Color makes a hull red rattle can as well.  Nice job!

Mike

Spent more time applying coats of paint, sanding in between. When this one dries, I'll sand and paint ONE more time and then it is what it is. I can find imperfections all day long, but hey-ho. James H advised me to look at PlastiKote paint but I couldn't find anyone locally who stocks it so I went for one from Rust-oleum which was incredibly expensive!! £15 per can from B&Q (I had to buy two) 😲

HULL02.jpg

HULL01.jpg

HULL03.jpg

hull3.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

it's not often we see pictures of artists at work  ;)    the hull looks very good.......you did a great job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 months later...

love that hull paintwork

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat