Drill Bits

OMG, Gaetan, You're the most organized person I've run into!

Maury

Melting of plastic while drilling or sawing it can be nearly eliminated by using bits or saws designed for working that material. The drills will have a steeper pitch.  The saw blade's teeth are patterned so that each tooth only removes a small part of what will be the kerf.   MSC is a vendor I am familiar with that sells bits made for plastic and Forest (probably among others) makes "No Melt" circular saw blades.

For occasional use, the cost of specialized tools may be prohibitive.  For occasional use with a table saw: melt a small amount of paraffin along the line to be cut.  The paraffin will re-melt from the blade's heat and provide lubrication.  This method may work with a jig/sabre saw but I have never tried it.  Similarly, apply a spot of paraffin at a location to be drilled. 

I have had good luck with this method.  If the parts are to be glued, the paraffin remaining at the site of the cut or hole and must be thoroughly removed.

This is why I love this Forum.....so much helpful advice for what to many may be a trivial question(s)--- including bonus humor (e.g. reference to Rumple of Old Bailey!!)......I learn so much and it makes the hobby easier and much much more enjoyable for a true novice (on my second build, Tender Avos) like me--Thx to all! Nazir

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the drill bit set with pin vice loss leader that Bob Cleek recommended. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!  The only good thing about the set is the box and even that has issues as the tubes have covers on each end and several of the ends that are in holes in the bottom of the box stick so when you pull the tube out, the bits fall out, thankfully into the box.    These bitts are so bad I have had trouble drilling through hard wood with the ones I have tried, forget about copper or brass.    Maybe I got a bad set, but these are the worst I have ever tried to use.   The pin vice is terrible as it will not hold the smallest bits tightly.   You get what you pay for most of the time, but this time I did not even get that much.   Back to HSS jobber bits.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 hours ago, allanyed said:

I bought the drill bit set with pin vice loss leader that Bob Cleek recommended. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!  The only good thing about the set is the box and even that has issues as the tubes have covers on each end and several of the ends that are in holes in the bottom of the box stick so when you pull the tube out, the bits fall out, thankfully into the box.    These bitts are so bad I have had trouble drilling through hard wood with the ones I have tried, forget about copper or brass.    Maybe I got a bad set, but these are the worst I have ever tried to use.   The pin vice is terrible as it will not hold the smallest bits tightly.   You get what you pay for most of the time, but this time I did not even get that much.   Back to HSS jobber bits.

Allan

Ooops! My bad! So sorry about that, Allan. I thought those Model Expo boxed bit sets were the same bits they sell in the tubes of five by size. There was some discussion later in the thread about problems we had getting the wrong bits in the tubes and how they promptly made good on that PIA. I'm a big proponent of buying the best tool once instead of the cheap tool you have to buy twice. I should have known better. I've found the bits I bought from Model Expo in the tubes of five by individual sizes adequate for wood and soft metals but I wasn't expecting them to be suitable for precision machining. It's no surprise the pin vise wasn't "Starrett quality," but it should have at least been suitable for all of the bits in the boxed series. Another example of the "China Syndrome," no doubt and another reason to steer clear of "hobby" tool catalogs. 

Thanks Bob, we all get sucked into this kind of thing now and then.  Personally, I have probably been taken in more often than most.  Stuff happens to all of us.

Merry Christmas.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 12/24/2020 at 12:40 PM, allanyed said:

Allan

I did buy the wood box set a long time ago.  I'm thinking they changed suppliers to lowest bidder and quality went out the window.  Looking at the price today... $25.... really? I think I paid a lot more when I bought my set.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I would have to second Jim's comment on the starrett pin vises.  In addition to that I have found so many discrepancies in the drill gauges that I only use Starrett for these also.  The Generals used to be pretty good but it seems like China has taken over a lot of this stuff and the quality has deteriorated.

Bill

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit