HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Frank Wouts 1/48

Small Sunday update. Almost done starboardside. Struggling to get the angles right on the pilar pedestals between the windows.

Not satisfied yet, they will still change and transform…nothing is glued yet, the roof, channels (actually chapter 11) and the pilars are still loose.

Frank.

IMG_1677.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1686.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Beautiful Frank! Looks like the PVA will be flying soon. 👍

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Good plan on leaving spot for channels.  Definitely leave that roof unglued, I sure wish I had. Excellent work and fine detail as always!

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks JJ, Jim, Greg, Glenn & the likes!

It was actually Dusan’s (westwood) idea to leave space for the channels and more…thank you Dusan!

I anticipated only on the channels by building them now and placing them between the fancy moldings. The other items are much smaller and for them the fancy molding can hopefully also be chiseled away easily but precisely..

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

She's looking great Frank!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Found my way making the columns…nothing permantly glued on yet…

Above the windows still a lot of blue plane empty area…on the contemporary model there is some kind of fancy molded edge there as well. I think I’ll be making that too!

Frank.

IMG_1691.jpeg

IMG_1695.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

They look great Frank...Cant wait to see an overall shot of your hull from the stern quarter when you get it all done.

Looks really nice Frank.

A level of craftmanship we can all aspire to.

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

Current Build -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

• 3 weeks later...

Good day all,

Starboardside chapter 3 finished. Hopefully chapter 3 finished these Christmas Holidays…

I added some extra fancy molding above the QG windows as my roof and fancy molding was a little high and I didn’t like the large blue space above these windows. Also on the contemporary model I spotted something that looks more or less the same…

The roof and channels are not glued on permanently yet ofcourse!

Frank.

IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1922.jpeg

IMG_1925.jpeg

IMG_1923.jpeg

IMG_1927.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Frank,

This looks fantastic! 

Having just completed Chapter 11 and the swivel gun supports now might be a good time to chisel out the molding where they are located. Don't ask me how I know but doing it with the railings and deadeyes installed can lead to unwanted consequences.

Thanks,

Gary

Current Build -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Time for an update after weeks of inactivity because of work and flu/corona after completing chapter 3.

I made a start with chapter 4 and am also preparing for masts, just to keep my options open, when I might feel I have place to showcase a fully rigged Winnie in my house 😉👍🏻.

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2645.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpeg

IMG_2641.jpeg

IMG_2640.jpeg

IMG_2652.jpeg

IMG_2654.jpeg

IMG_2285.jpeg

IMG_2286.jpeg

IMG_2376.jpeg

IMG_2655.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Excellent work Frank, very meticulous.  Great plan to fit the channels now to void having to cut away that moulding later. After the qdeck cannon that’s next up for me, I’m hoping I can manage it without damaging the surrounding area, a problem you won’t have now. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Beautifully done, Frank!  Your moldings look amazing.  I agree with Glenn that you are miles ahead having the channels fit while doing the moldings.  I’m glad you’ve recovered from the flu and/or Covid.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Thanks Glenn and Matt and the likes,

Yes, I think too it’s easier doing that now, but actually the idea is from Westwood (Dusan), all credits to him and his more than beautiful benchmark build!

Yes, glad I’m fully recovered now, lots of sweating again. That’s different from the good old flu I must say…

I hope I also have time again to browse through both your excellent builds as well again!

I have time enough and am not in any hurry, I’m behind almost everybody, whether they started before or after me, LOL! 😂😉

Cheers,

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

That looks fantastic.

Incidentally I agree with your analysis of the rake of the masts posted on my log. On re-measuring I think there is a very small aft rake on the foremast, a little more aft rake on the main mast and still more on the mizzen.

I bought the Enterprize plans from Cornwall Model Boats which ships internationally I'm sure. They are actually produced by www.model-shipyard.com in Poland so they should be readily available. I do hope you rig: I shall follow with keen interest and learn!

Fred

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I’m on my way in chapter 4, and I have a question.

I have a rather larger opening in front of the false deck. Should that be filled to be even with the false deck to support the rounded margin deck plank that will be glued over it?

Or is that plank wide enough and doesn’t it matter?

Also I doubt painting the grating supports black. They look beautiful the way they are with a little WOP…?

Thanks!

Frank.

IMG_2925.jpeg

IMG_2923.jpeg

IMG_2921.jpeg

B3E79539-151D-4180-A0EA-9CB1CE3A3E71.jpeg

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2918.jpeg

IMG_2919.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

You should be fine at the bow.  I wouldnt worry about that.  The gratings look fantastic.  I came close to leaving them natural as well.  

Those are some nice looking gratings Frank.  I considered not painting as well but in the end decided to do so. I’d suggest you consider your entire deck plan for paint colors and/or natural. My thought was if the gratings were natural so would have to be other

furniture/fittings and that I liked the contrast the black provided to the red and yellow cedar. It is you ship, whatever you decide it will turn out great.  

Regards,

Glenn