HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Frank Wouts 1/48

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just a small update of my start of chapter three. Please ring the alarm if you see any anomalies that should be corrected. My planking ends rather high at the top of the transom, compared to e.g. Rustyj’s. Even little higher than Chuck’s. I hope this will not become a problem…

Frank.

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0688.jpeg

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0691.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

It looks good...its a little high but you should be OK.   If you wanted to sand it down just a bit that would work...maybe 1/64" or 1/32"   

The other thing you could do is raise the transom height by just 1/64" as well.  That would work too.   But you should be good either way.

Chuck

Good morning,

Just a small update to check with you all if my QG template placement and angle is correct. I also sanded down the planking topping a little and added another top layer of 1/64 on top of the transom as suggested by Chuck.

Frank.

IMG_0889.jpeg

IMG_0888.jpeg

IMG_0886.jpeg

IMG_0884.jpeg

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Thanks Don, Glenn and ofcourse the likes. Always very much appreciated!

I hope I got that QG angle right.

I read and saw there are

multiple QG side windows with slightly diffferent angles so just a little variance should not be a problem…

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

That’s correct about the multiple angled window choices, it’s great Chuck thought of that.  The template will naturally lay in place as you have it. If I recall the key thing is for the gallery window sills to be parallel with the water line. I know I checked multiple build logs to compare, it is a big step. Looks like yours are fine, great work. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Long time…fit and measure the QG galleries…

Meanwhile practicing scraping…which is at less than a beginner level still…any tutorials on that? I’m also waiting on an order of 0.2mm grinder disks, hopefully they will help making beter profiles on my scrapers…

Frank

IMG_0952.jpeg

IMG_0955.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

A small update on my quarter galleries.

I build the roof and made some of the fancy moldings.

Scraping the boxwood strips into fancy moldings has now improved enough to be acceptable in my opinion, after hours of practicing on small scrap redundant strips of yellow cedar this weekend. Making the scraping tool was done with a 0.15mm diamond motor tool cutting/grinding disc. Scraping the boxwood strips appeared to much easier, more straight and precise however! Boxwood was chosen for a reason to make the fancy moldings I assume…(!)

I changed the cerulean blue on vertical pilars adding more white and a tiny drop of yellow to match the printed artwork better. Here and there an tiny drop of glue still has to be removed, tiny strip of artwork cut away on edges and some careful fine sanding where the fancy moldings meet at the corners I see on my pictures now. Pictures are very unforgiving and a good help being critical on one’s own work.

The roof and windows are not yet glued on, as per instructions.

Frank.

IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_1065.jpeg

IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_0992.jpeg

IMG_0987.jpeg

IMG_0991.jpeg

IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_0989.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Stunning work Frank! Well done.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Here’s my advice. Once you finish the roof with the small rail on top and know you have a good fit, set them aside and don’t glue them on for a while. I’ve knocked off that rail on both sides so many times I had to ask Chuck for replacement parts. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...

Your moldings turned out great. I really like the profile, makes me want to redo the ones on my Winnie.  She’s looking very good.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

1 hour ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Your moldings turned out great. I really like the profile, makes me want to redo the ones on my Winnie.  She’s looking very good.

Thanks JJ! I’m mastering a lot of new techniques here while building along…

I’m also following your fantastic Portland project with great interest!

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Frank, your moldings look GREAT!!! All your practice and patience has certainly paid off.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Agree with all, well done on the mouldings.  I see a problem though, they didn’t have cars like those in the parking lot next to where they were building Winchelsea🤣

Regards,

Glenn

5 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Agree with all, well done on the mouldings.  I see a problem though, they didn’t have cars like those in the parking lot next to where they were building Winchelsea🤣

Hahaha, those are Dinky Toys Glenn, and in the back you see Bone China ‘Royal Albert, series ‘Old English Country Roses’, part of a

complete English thea set. All English stuff near Winchelsea thus…

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None