HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Frank Wouts 1/48

On 8/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, Chuck said:

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!  You should be so happy with those results.  

Thank you Chuck. Yes, I’m very, very pleased and happy with this rewarding result after roughly 8 months. Though one also starts to love planking with the smell of the hot travel iron on those yellow cedar planks with many iterations of gently bending and fitting…

But, again, all thanks to your clear instructions, both on paper and YouTube!

And yet again in the Speedwell build log, such a pleasure to read and watch ahead on my iPad in the evening and again so inspiring….

Thanks! 
Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Gorgeous planking Frank, I'm now going to find a dark, quiet corner and cry😂😇

Very nicely done!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Very nice, frank! you reached a milestone. You were willing to take things slow, and your efforts show that really nice work can be done if you take your time. I’m just curious, did you have a lot of throwaways?

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

That is a wonderful planking job Frank!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Congratulations on reaching a great and significant milestone. So well done!  It feels so good to be done with this major step I’m sure. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

It's really a magnificent piece of planking work. Taking your time always pays off! Bravo

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Congratulation for reaching this milestone. Your planking is looking incredible.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

20 hours ago, Stuntflyer said:

Very nice, frank! you reached a milestone. You were willing to take things slow, and your efforts show that really nice work can be done if you take your time. I’m just curious, did you have a lot of throwaways?

Mike

Thanks Mike, yes I had several throwaways at the bow and the stern…I estimate 25-30% roughly... Mostly because after (also side) bending I saw I had cut and sanded off little more than my tickmarks said it should… Still difficult to estimate on forehand I also find how much tilt I should sand with my sanding stick on the sides of planks in these areas.

I would like to do this better next time, as this only shows after sanding, when a tight seem becomes little less tight after sanding…

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

2 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

I would like to do this better next time, as this only shows after sanding, when a tight seem becomes little less tight after sanding…

I know exactly what you mean, been there myself. Trust me, your planking work will only get better. Still, you should be very happy with your result on the Winnie.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey