Le Rochefort by No Idea - 1/24th Scale - First POF Build

• 4 weeks later...

At last I have an update on my build!

Thanks for all of the advice given as getting this right has proven to be quite a challenge for me.  Firstly I tried carving a plank and it did not go too well and I find that using this method wastes quite a lot of wood.

So in the end I used lamination to get around the tightest bends but I also had to spile the planks too.  The first 3 strakes underneath the deck clamp had to be made this way before I could revert to solid wood.

This plank was made up of 3 layers to get to the correct thickness of 2.8mm

IMG_4919.thumb.jpeg.84d2aefcfe727778a250ab03a41f2309.jpeg

IMG_4918.thumb.jpeg.52e77a8f3265c1df8b68412383c7e9ae.jpeg

The next two planks were made up of 2 layers of lamination the first being 2.5mm thick and the second 2.8mm

IMG_4921.thumb.jpeg.2a98d9d369de34fcc23784b1ed539692.jpeg

IMG_4943.thumb.jpeg.ab1c78ddfd313fa2588a0e1f08da19f2.jpeg

Now this is my first attempt at ceiling planking and I soon realised that I had made an error earlier in the build.  The first lot of planks that I had placed coming away from the keelson had been tapered too much towards the stern.  They did not go far enough up the sternson which meant that with my remaining planks I really had to make up some space between them and the new planking on the transom.

I had a choice I could either fit a stealer to bridge the gap or exaggerate the flair of the planks on the transom.  I decided on the latter and here's the result.

IMG_4954.thumb.jpeg.6006d93b6b69c3328f1685e63ec1e9dc.jpeg

IMG_4955.thumb.jpeg.4144bfcb88bc9a3b964d6545e89d7730.jpeg

Its been a really good learning curve for me and whilst the planking is hardly uniform it is very tight on the frames and transom.  Next time I will look at this planking from a completely different angle and get it far more pleasing to the eye.

I now need to replicate my mistakes on the starboard side so that it looks symmetrical but I think this will be ok for me to do.

Lastly a couple of pictures hopefully showing the planking thickness decreasing from 3mm to 1.8mm as it moves down the frames and across the transom.

IMG_4956.thumb.jpeg.4abb07b9d9a9b96cd5761e5aaae19664.jpeg

IMG_4957.thumb.jpeg.f9800c33f61b07ca3a24530bf00e2bdc.jpeg

Cheers Mark

So great to see an update !  I'm still up in the air if I should start mine soon or not.  Still have to buy the lumber.  You were wise to go to 1/24 I think. more material but easier of handling of the parts I'd say. I hope this log stays forever cuz Ill need it for every step. There isn't very many Rochefort scratch builds out there in cyber land.  

giampeiroricci - thanks mate 👍

Tonphil1960 - building in 1/4 scale is nice but it also means that you have to manipulate 1/4 scale sections of wood. I’ve found this very difficult at times and sometimes think that the smaller scale may have been a better option. It just throws up challenges that I have to find solutions for such as the plank lamination in the post above. 

That ceiling plank all the way up to the wing transom has to be the trickiest piece of planking I've seen! No wonder the British ended those planks on the fashion piece....

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

20 hours ago, druxey said:

That ceiling plank all the way up to the wing transom has to be the trickiest piece of planking I've seen! No wonder the British ended those planks on the fashion piece....

Hang on I’m English maybe I could end them at the…….oh no maybe not just wishful thinking on my part 😂😂

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to your next update Mark...taps fingers 🙂

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

On 1.9.2022 at 12:47, Tonphil1960 said:

Sieht toll aus Markus. Was ist der Grund für die zwei unterschiedlichen Nägel? ein bisschen schwarz, ein bisschen weiß! Wie lange ist sie in 1/24? 

Hi Tony, yes it is true that the French ships use two types of nails in the offset, but only below the waterline, above they are only iron nails.

Auf der Werkbank:

Corvette La Palme (L'Amarante) von 1744 POF nach Plänen von Ancre

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/32046-la-palme-by-tobias-136-pof/

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29843-le-coureur-1776-by-tobias-caf-148/

LE ROCHEFORT - Hafenyacht von 1787 1:36 von Tobias (Monographie von ANCRE)

On 11/24/2022 at 10:51 PM, Tobias said:

Hi Tony, yes it is true that the French ships use two types of nails in the offset, but only below the waterline, above they are only iron nails.

Tobias that is spot on mate 👍

Not really an update but just a few shots of how things are going.  I'm working on the bow and stern at the same time to get things done.  As I've discovered planking the inside of a hull takes the same amount of time as planking the outside.  So a few pictures of spiled planks, clamps and unfinished fitted planks too!  The planks look stepped as the thickness decreases as they go down towards the keel.  Things are getting easier as I'm learning new skills everyday.

IMG_4964.thumb.jpeg.a8f7d3adf8956db63ab440370a2b6a56.jpeg

IMG_4965.thumb.jpeg.a36d7550d5e2a265de06644ab0dc2b62.jpeg

IMG_4967.thumb.jpeg.f83237d1c91cb48f1822488ef6019de5.jpeg

Its coming along nicely but these things take time and a lot of measurements - Cheers Mark

IMG_4961.jpeg

5 minutes ago, ChrisLBren said:

Nice work !!!!!

Also I noticed you have a Foredom - mine arrives tomorrow and hopefully will help with the stern parts !  

Check out Kevin Kenny's review and set up of the Foredom tool its very good.  I love mine as it has so much torque at very low speed.  The best on the market but they are also very expensive.  I used a Dremel successfully for many years and although they do the same job the Foredom makes it easier with better control.

• 2 weeks later...

No Idea, I’ve been so intimidated by your incredible build that I confess I couldn’t look anymore as I fear I would have given up on my far more inferior efforts.  However I am at last at the rigging stage with my 1/36 Le Rochefort. Hope you don’t mind me sharing my ship.

Don’t look too closely as there are a lot of little errors. 

17D09341-A63D-4CA1-B9D0-E314C52C04C7.jpeg

Hi clogger - wow mate your build looks amazing 🤩. Fantastic job and I hope my finished ship looks a good as yours. 

I should have said that I never intended to rig my ship purely down to its size. Yours is the first Le Rochefort that I’ve seen rigged as such and it really finishes it beautifully. Maybe I’ll change my mind if I can find a place big enough to keep it.  Thanks for sharing your picture 👍

Edited by No Idea
Added comments

On 12/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, clogger said:

Thanks No Idea. 

BTW a rigged version of your ship would be the ultimate reference for every future Le Rochefort builder!

8 hours ago, Tonphil1960 said:

Mark, we've been following your excellent work all this time. You must rig it if only to keep your followers happy ! 

Hi both - This is one of those things that I'll need to decide nearer the time as it's so far away.  Thank you for your very kind words I'm hoping to get the ceiling finished in the next 2 weeks.  Our Granddaughter (She's 10 weeks old and beautiful ) has been taking up much our spare time but what a great way to spend it :) 

Congratulations on the arrival of your granddaughter. Grands are the best!!!

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

On 12/9/2022 at 10:59 PM, druxey said:

Congrats on the addition to your family! 

11 hours ago, Tonphil1960 said:

Congrats, nothing better than grandkids ! 

1 hour ago, James G said:

Congratulations on the arrival of your granddaughter. Grands are the best!!!

Thanks very much all :)  She's lovely and they grow up so fast.  This is our 7th grandchild so Christmas is getting very expensive now! 

Congratulations Mark.
I know what it's like to have less time - one of our grandchildren is with us 2-3 times a week because our daughter is a single parent. In the meantime, our grandson visits me regularly in the workshop.

3CA70A8F-FA7D-44D1-8B88-38C049EC4EF7.thumb.jpeg.e9e823b194b7feaaafe6bdcd0491062a.jpeg

Auf der Werkbank:

Corvette La Palme (L'Amarante) von 1744 POF nach Plänen von Ancre

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/32046-la-palme-by-tobias-136-pof/

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29843-le-coureur-1776-by-tobias-caf-148/

LE ROCHEFORT - Hafenyacht von 1787 1:36 von Tobias (Monographie von ANCRE)

Congratulations on the little one, Mark.  Spend all the time you want with her.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Thanks for the nice comments and Tobias what a great photo!!  So I hope you have all had a nice Xmas and are looking forward to new year.

Ok another update from me - I've been getting on to get the ceiling finished and at last I'm very glad to say that it is.

A couple more pictures of the process

IMG_4983.thumb.jpeg.60cfcde250c26ee7f8fcb54a3a85a82c.jpeg

IMG_4984.thumb.jpeg.3734ee048c2fed3a011b38057efc14e5.jpeg

Here's some pictures of it looking very rough and ready.  All of the planks are on but without any sanding and also all of the nails are in place.

IMG_4991.thumb.jpeg.1e233b89a5773ba358e1be0f500689c6.jpeg

IMG_4992.thumb.jpeg.98709868316061521555654e47c4fc54.jpeg

Pictures of the final sanded finish - There are some gaps but overall I'm quite happy with the way its turned out.

IMG_4993.thumb.jpeg.f11d198ab310d8d7c92a3b4a3a59b81d.jpeg

IMG_4994.thumb.jpeg.ed47a4367617e6678ad059ac0d75b952.jpeg

IMG_4995.thumb.jpeg.4290f58294940b5d4e947ded6bf04230.jpeg

IMG_4996.thumb.jpeg.66d8e42842088cc359ac8f00dfacff02.jpeg

IMG_4997.thumb.jpeg.aaa0d7b47390fd222a20637c27dd1e13.jpeg

Its taken ages to do but but I'm finally there - I've learnt a lot about ceiling planking and I could definitely do better next time around.

So next I'll be making the two other lower breast hooks and the stern sleepers.  It'll be nice to actually make a part again :) 

Cheers Mark