1940 Auto Repair Shop Interior by FriedClams - Finished - Diorama in 1:87

I find my vocabulary strained beyond it's limits in trying to describe my reaction to your masterpiece. I can only say that it truly is a masterpiece by any measure.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

All I can do is repeat what the others have said, Gary.  This is a true masterpiece.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all very much for your kind words and generous appraisal of the diorama.  It means a lot coming from such a talented group of modelers.  This dio has been great fun due in large part because of you folks here at MSW and I thank you for that and for allowing me to share it with you.  I look forward to catching up on all your projects.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 months later...

catching up on the logs I've missed........this one is particularly dear :wub:

living in the town of Weare,  back in the 60's until the day I left home,  I was immersed in the old school mechanics.   though a bit more modern,  given the time,  our workshop was similar........but not as primative as the gent that lived up the hill from us.  we used to go up and help Bill from time to time,  especially after his son Willie went into the Army.  he was an old polish guy........chewed tobacco,  spitt'in it in a Pepsi bottle.  that's what he did for a living.......working out of a cinder block garage,  with one door.....as well as a window.  seeing what you've done here,  brought me back to those days in a big way.  you couldn't be any more spot on,  than if you lived back in the day yourself ;)   my hat is off to you........it's an awesome dio :) 

as a epilog.........when Bill Heino died {his wife died before he did},  his daughter Ruth took over the house.  she had a direct line to the police because collectors were showing up trying to get a look in the shed next to the garage.  in there were parts dating all the way back to the model A......most of the parts still wrapped in the paper they came in.  it used to the his original shop before building the cinder block building.  there was a bench that line the entire back wall....stairs that lead up into the attic.  it was chuck full,  all the way to the door!  as I recall,  there was a cellar too........the door was around the back,  centered in the foundation.......it was built on the preface of a hill,  so the foundation was exposed.

to me..........you've outdone yourself!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Denis.  Just found your comment - thanks for the visit and the nice words.

I enjoyed reading about your experiences in the 60’s and the mechanic Bill up the hill from you.  Sounds like he was quite a character and you just don’t find shops like that anymore - or at least very rarely. I can almost smell the place you describe.  Imagine coming across a stash of model A parts today still in their original packaging.  Like finding a buried treasure chest.  But even so, I’m sure there are many abandoned old shops in small towns from coast to coast where walking into them would be stepping back in time.  I just wish I knew where they were.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

well deserved my friend.........I love what you did here :)   another story........I used to work at a nursing home in the neighboring town of Goffstown.  I got home one day and was told to go right up to old Bill's house.  Dad was already up there helping him work on a truck.  I entered the garage to see these two milling up at the front of the truck.........then I looked down and saw a short round bar {of sorts} lying on the floor.   I could see someone stepp'in on it and tak'in a ride,  so I stooped to pick it up.  Man!.....I couldn't let it go fast enough!  it was a king pin,  and they had just finished removing it from the front end!  the king pin connects the spindle to the front bar { forget what you call it}.....they had to heat it up to take it out.  my right hand had second degree burns.........I was one unhappy puppy!......an' all Bill could say was "heavy boda.........ya.....heavy! *chuckling to himself*  he called everyone Boda.....heck,  we even nicknamed him 'Boda Bill' :D   nicest guy you'd want to meet though.

another story involved the misses..........Dot {short for Dorothy} Heino was gruff but very savvy...hard to hide anything from her.  one day,  her {only} son Willie told her a fib,  and when she found out the truth,  put a skillet to his butt!  they had five girls and one boy.......we had four girls and four boys...

.....age appropriate,  we both had the makings of a base ball team {we used to play each other}.  anyway........we were playing 'tag' in the front area of their house.......resembled a parking lot,  with all the cars parked every which way.  this made for the perfect 'maze'.  of course,  we weren't allowed to play around the cars......someone could get hurt.......but we did it anyway.  I was chasing Ruthie,  passing by a stack of tires...........she bumped into the stack and let out a shriek!  something in the tires had pierced her arm....puncturing a vein....blood was squirting out like a fountain!  Dot came out and told Carol to go get some pitch from a pine tree,  as she put a finger over the wound.  applying the pitch stopped the bleeding and plugged the wound.  this put her out of action for the afternoon and pretty much sent us home........oh.......the tongue lashing!

sorry.........I gave ya a two-fer :D   I have so many..........good times!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch