1940 Auto Repair Shop Interior by FriedClams - Finished - Diorama in 1:87

What can one say? It just keeps getting better and better.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just catching up and....😮😯😲😳

Incredible modelling Gary!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 1 month later...

Greetings fellow modelers.  Thank you all for your wonderful comments and the “likes”.  After a couple of months away from modeling this little diorama has called me back.

Wall Details and General Clutter

I have finished populating the back wall with things, stuff and junk.  Or at least I think I'm finished.  In subjects like this, it seems there is never enough detail – never enough stuff.  More and more items keep coming to mind that really should be included but mercifully I have run out of room.  In fact, the arbor press I made back on post #38 will be left out because there is just no good place for it.  That's always a risk making details in advance instead of letting the model tell you what is needed as it progresses.  Anyway, here is a short update.

A storage unit with drawers is made of basswood that was pre-stained.

1086864148_GI13-1-Copy.jpg.5e86994a1791a95dfcb3470f10d1db7e.jpg

The face frame for the drawers is paper. The drawer fronts are stuck down on double sided tape and tiny specks of CA are applied to each, then the unit is flipped on top.

1420083904_GI13-2-Copy.jpg.2653f14563e39c1d121938dfa69dd6f3.jpg

The drawer pulls are slices of painted half-round styrene.

1281803014_GI13-3-Copy.jpg.aec83fee986b28dcf4c4760088101a78.jpg

The problem with cubbies and shelves is that you can't leave them empty.  Cans are a good way to fill some of the holes and they are easy to make.  Printing onto tissue paper then gluing it to wood dowels and/or styrene rod produces a decent can.  It doesn't really matter what the print says because no one will be able to read it anyway.

301787495_GI13-4-Copy.jpg.dee1fb52d047008011c4ddc8c4f11de6.jpg

Other little bits of things are glued on.

578857135_GI13-5-Copy.jpg.fa51dfc416598a95439281ea29383b61.jpg

The compressor against the back wall is a white metal casting from Durango Press.  I added a start station and “black iron” pipe that feeds the air hose by the door.  The hose is blackened solder.

842868200_GI13-6-Copy.jpg.c482f85af91af18dad8389e88896c879.jpg

A basswood bench is made.  The bench grinder is a Rio Grande Scale Models piece and the torch came out of my junk box and I don't recall who cast it.

626101284_GI13-7-Copy.jpg.3295b04ae2bc36cf647f614b93199ff8.jpg

The image below shows the completed back wall (the mezzanine above is still empty.)  The barrel stand was made previously on post #48 and the remainder of the items are a combination of scratch and modified castings.  Some of the wall signs I printed while others are from JL Innovations.  All were sanded on the back side to reduce thickness and then dirtied up with ink/alcohol.  The pit rail is .022” phosphor/bronze wire that was soldered together and blackened.

221791111_GI13-8-Copy.jpg.4a7a00ab977462c073e8dafdcaae9d16.jpg

67072559_GI13-9-Copy.jpg.4f39f62637df089206d04f92ca7db91e.jpg

Thanks for swinging by to take a look.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Wow.  That looks great.   I guess the solution to your space problem would be to have a wider floor area so things could be in the other half of the shop.  It would really be cluttered though and probably not look as good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I love those dioramas !

It is true, there is never a enough clutter to make - just look around your own workshop and compare ;)

One thing I was wondering about (even in those less safety-preoccupied times than today): shouldn't there be any stops at the end of the rails for the car to prevent it from overrunning ? Also some rails left and right might be helpful to keep it on track ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

1 hour ago, FriedClams said:

the arbor press I made back on post #38 will be left out because there is just no good place for it

Gary, we are looking through a wall correct? Couldn't the press be on the front edge across from the main workbench with the back to the viewer? I'm loath making the suggestion but golly I hate seeing any of your work being left out. You've made such a wonderfully detailed and totally believable scene that rivals the boat shop which I didn't think was possible. 

Between the oil barrel on the cross bucks and the corner brother, just turn the tires sideways.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hello All - thanks for the likes and for stopping in to take a look.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:00 PM, mtaylor said:

I guess the solution to your space problem would be to have a wider floor area so things could be in the other half of the shop.

Hi Mark.  More room would be nice and to do it over I would make it just a tad wider.  Even just an inch or so would help, but then again, I'm really just trying to create an atmosphere and as you say more clutter may actually hurt the model.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:04 PM, wefalck said:

It is true, there is never a enough clutter to make - just look around your own workshop and compare ;)

One thing I was wondering about (even in those less safety-preoccupied times than today): shouldn't there be any stops at the end of the rails for the car to prevent it from overrunning ? Also some rails left and right might be helpful to keep it on track ...

Yes – real world clutter is totally overwhelming and beyond my patience and abilities.

It does seem like a matter time before someone drops a tire off the edge/end, but here's the inspiration photo.  This looks like a staged or promotional photo for sure, but then again . . .   Thanks for the comment Wefalck.

2134926936_GI7-1-Copy.jpg.90251a06c5e4a75bd70b779890fb2510.jpg

On 10/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, CDW said:

Beautiful diorama!

This reminds me of my best friend's alternator, starter, and generator shop. His family has owned and run the business for over 75 years here in our home town.

Thanks CDW for the nice comment, it's good to hear the dio brings to mind a real place.

On 10/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, Keith Black said:

Gary, we are looking through a wall correct? Couldn't the press be on the front edge across from the main workbench with the back to the viewer? I'm loath making the suggestion but golly I hate seeing any of your work being left out.

To be honest Keith and as strange as it may sound, I don't know if there is a wall there.  I've kind of left it up to the viewer to decide if what is shown is the whole shop or just a corner of it.  Is the viewer standing in the middle of a larger garage with other service bays behind him, or as you say - looking through a wall?  Hmmm.  Either way, your suggestion is a good one and please don't be reluctant in offering your thoughts - I have always greatly valued your input.  Reconsidering the arbor press, I may place it between the drill press and bench where the welding torch now sits.  Because the torch is on wheels it could believably be placed anywhere.  And something that has nagged at me is the knowledge that I placed it against the wall backwards.  The torch kit would never sit the way I currently have it - with the tanks facing outward and the cart against the wall because you lean it back onto its wheels to roll it off.  I'm going to move things around and see what I can come up with.  Thanks for your suggestion and comment Keith.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:07 AM, Egilman said:

Between the oil barrel on the cross bucks and the corner brother, just turn the tires sideways.....

Hello Egilman.  The problem in that back corner is that I have to keep it clear for the exterior door.  I would have to move the barrel stand elsewhere because moving it much further to the left would pinch off the walking space between it and the pit safety railing.  I am going to consider some repositioning of things.  Thanks for the suggestion - more eyes and thoughts are always helpful.

16 hours ago, TBlack said:

Remember the old model railroad saying: "the clutter is the clincher"

Hello TBlack.  Thanks for looking in.  The model railroading folks are the masters of modeling clutter – they do it so well!  

Thanks, Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Greetings all.  Thank you for your comments, visits and likes.

A little more progress to show.

I added back the arbor press to the diorama and positioned it where the torch cart used to sit. I moved the drill to the front as far as possible to allow for more elbow room around the press.

2138032417_GI14-1-Copy.jpg.6da5a7de287756bd196a968a969cb8e1.jpg

Moving on, I next populated the mezzanine with stuff. The tires, spoked wheels, fenders and front spring are salvaged from a Jordan model that went all wrong. Everything else is scratched. Corrugated boxes are a quick way to fill up space and are simply folded paper painted with water colors.

1694450739_GI14-2-Copy.jpg.cb55ea8ae65331154b6fb60752dd17ed.jpg

I decided the mezzanine needed a hoisting rope. It is a piece of miniature rope that has been bleached and re-colored. The bleach removes that starch/sizing (or what ever it is that makes it stiff) and allows it to coil naturally. It was saturated with a water/PVA mix so it holds its shape and stays where placed. This close-up shows me I placed it crooked and needs a little straightening.

503979327_GI14-3-Copy.jpg.610a64d61f5cec4ec5ecdb3c5a8b3bc8.jpg

The underside of the pit vehicle gets a downward facing warm white LED. It is attached with a generous blob of clear Gallery Glass. The stuff starts out opaque but dries crystal clear. It is non conductive, comes in different colors (which can be mixed) and dries translucent like stained glass. Handy.

1643636798_GI14-4-Copy.jpg.7b0d1a53c38e362ae4816c2f6e1881dd.jpg

Here is one of the mechanics making an appeal to his Creator asking forgiveness for past sins and his constant use of coarse language.  He offers a gift of what he claims is 25' of rubber jacketed electrical cord but is really just a piece of solder.

16596820_GI14-5-Copy.jpg.33e6a545cac1e1233291ea5496bcf10e.jpg

Unmoved by this insincerity, the Creator instead drops a 29 Ford flatbed on his head.

1540244507_GI14-6-Copy.jpg.cffbb346c49feef51c39e01888b3ae46.jpg

The brightness level of the LED will eventually be adjusted down quite low. I hope it will bring attention to the frame structure and keep the pit from becoming a black hole.

436198698_GI14-7-Copy.jpg.d04fc83b9221ccd737d976645af817e8.jpg

2046075442_GI14-8-Copy.jpg.c3d7663033884101c0c85b8f5f2208bc.jpg

749232043_GI14-9-Copy.jpg.a172e7ddb0e449ccddb8cebeed6e2a6e.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.  Be safe and stay well.

Gary

Edited by FriedClams

Completed Scratch Builds

Love those cardboard-boxes, looking very convincing. It this sort of thing that enlivens such dioramas.

I like to take pictures of old workshops and the likes in museums, as still-life in themselves, but also as inspiration for such models:

image.png.750eff8d7fb343f31a5599e3374a2276.png

image.png.cbf8973ffada49ca2bbdf97435612e5a.png

image.png.da628bf2d2e3566af59384847884e0b4.png

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

44 minutes ago, CDW said:

Awesome!

Agreed! Understatement of the year as well!

Best example of scratch building and modelers vision I've seen in a long time....

That should be on someone's magazine cover....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Wow.. Beyond amazing work.   The slight sage of the bench in the back is great touch.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Agreed! Understatement of the year as well!

Best example of scratch building and modelers vision I've seen in a long time....

That should be on someone's magazine cover....

Wot ‘e said!

Edited by gjdale

Wot everyone else has said   -  Amazing work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Here is one of the mechanics making an appeal to his Creator asking forgiveness for past sins and his constant use of coarse and abhorrent language.  He offers a gift of what he claims is 25' of rubber jacketed electrical cord, but is really just a piece of solder.

Unmoved by this insincerity and ticked off by the duplicitous offering, the Creator instead drops a 29 Ford flatbed on his 

Gary,

I'm getting the feeling that you see yourself as the shop foreman/owner, and that you wish you were 3/4" tall.

Tom 

Gary, such a neat little world you've created. A world to draw the viewer in and become absorbed, making up stories in their mind about all the little bits and how each works.   

Wow, just amazing as everyone has said.  Thanks for including that last picture with the eye glasses.  Looking at all the other pictures it is so easy to imagine this diorama and the individual pieces being much larger.  The amount of detail you are fitting into a small space is incredible.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Gary's thoughts are my own as well......the realized size of the diorama next to a pair of glasses is amazing!   very ....very nicely done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

This is one of the coolest dioramas I've ever seen, and incredibly impressive considering the scale.  Absolutely fantastic work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Fantastic, the last picture with your glasses is simply mind blowing.

Greetings,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Thanks so much for all the wonderful and generous comments - you folks are so kind.  And as always, thank you for the likes and for stopping by.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:34 PM, TBlack said:

I'm getting the feeling that you see yourself as the shop foreman/owner, and that you wish you were 3/4" tall.

How do you know I'm not 3/4" tall?

Interior lighting Prep Work

This posting is a bit tedious - I apologize in advance.

I put LED lighting on some but not all of my models. There has to be some justification for the effort and the subject needs to call for it. These little dioramas don't just call for it – they scream for it. But in the same way that bright colors can sometimes make small scale models look toy-like, so too can bright lights (or too many of them.) This diorama would be difficult to view without lighting and it will add greatly to the ambiance providing I don't botch it.  There will also be “daytime” through-the-window” lighting which I'll explain in an upcoming post.

In addition to the drop light under the vehicle, there will be four pendant lights hanging from the ceiling and a single bench lamp. The pendant lights hang off conduit that roughly scales to a little larger than 1” trade size pipe. The “pipe” is stainless tubing and has an inside diameter of .013”. As you can see in the image below it is quite small and yet if I had something smaller I would use it.

697103011_GI15-1-Copy.jpg.c7f0145c783a999fea8c2248ea8754f8.jpg

The problem in using small tubing is that there are no prewired LEDs with fine enough wires that will fit through such tubing. Here is a prewired #0805 LED (the size I will be using) and clearly it will not fit down that tubing.

1744258467_GI15-2-Copy.jpg.848d459666dcc242a108e97986c89f43.jpg

So I solder my own using a simple process that makes soldering fine wires easy and almost enjoyable in a deranged sort of way.  LEDs can be bought in strips that were cut from reels for literally a cent or two apiece, so when I smoke one, it doesn't bother me in the least.  Here are the sizes I use. From left – 0402, 0603, 0805, 3528 and 5050.  The 0402 is small enough that it could be used in an HO scale headlight.

374466773_GI15-3-Copy.jpg.21083dfc8f2279f4c08323ceb5b9d742.jpg

1505355255_GI15-4-Copy.jpg.d561a887b5e0aef610db3688836b142e.jpg

LED code numbers refer to the standard SMD (surface mount device) package dimensions and don't indicate a level of brightness. They were designed to be wave soldered onto printed circuit boards, not hand soldered. And confusingly, they are sold by both their metric measurements and their imperial measurements. So a metric #1608 (1.6mm x .08mm) references the same device as an imperial #0603 (.063” x .031”.)  If that isn't confusing enough, there is a metric 0201 and an imperial 0201, but they are not the same device and have a completely different footprint. Same is true for 0402 and 0603. I can solder an imperial 0402, but it would take a wizard to hand solder a metric 0402. Point being – buyer beware.

126220026_GI15-5-Copy.jpg.af5451335f0e4025570fc8105ff9b8fe.jpg

I use #39 magnet wire that has a .0038” diameter including insulation and is adequate for feeding a single LED. The insulation is an enamel coating and is better to burn off than to try and scrap off, which damages the underlying copper. With a ball of freshly applied solder on the tip of my iron (almost about to drip off), I quickly insert the wire into the drip before the all flux burns off. This burns off the coating and tins the copper in one step. So after cutting the wires to length, I burn off a 1/4” section about 1” back from the end. This 1/4” section is what gets soldered to the LED connection pads.

I place the LED onto a strip of double sided tape and then position the wires over the top and stick them down to the tape on both sides of the LED. This keeps everything in place during soldering. I position the wires so the insulation comes right up to the LED on the right hand side as shown below. I don't care about the other end because those wires will be clipped flush.

1001167809_GI15-6-Copy.jpg.8986ce35e2584beb8e1d9eb795abe4b6.jpg

I then place a drop of “no-clean” electronic liquid flux on the LED followed by a split second touch with the iron in one hand and solder in the other applied simultaneously. No more than a second. One wire at a time with a cleaned iron tip and a fresh drop of liquid flux for each wire. I've had no luck going back to correct a bad solder joint because the solder becomes thick and clingy and the device can't survive the additional heat. It's a fast one shot thing – not difficult but takes a steady hand.

227455223_GI15-7-Copy.jpg.7783567d4bcbc66870d2bfa6f66c7087.jpg

I use Kester 951 no clean liquid flux, Kester 83-7145-0415 electronic silver solder (.02” dia.) and a Weller 25 watt pencil iron with 1/16” flat tip. This little 1/2oz. syringe type applicator is handy for the flux.

2125787484_GI15-8-Copy.thumb.jpg.0ead52381aa81a054d23a996cfb9fcdb.jpg

First the desk lamp is made by annealing the stainless tubing and bending it into a gooseneck. The lamp shade is 3/16” diameter aluminum and the base is 1/8” dia. brass. The LED is a 0402 warm white.

33572487_GI15-9-Copy.jpg.e0f7b07b0bf8f0d380a08e90b5a0be29.jpg

The pieces are assembled and the underside of the shade gets a drop of “crystal clear” Gallery Glass to insulate and hold the LED in place. It will dry clear and shrink down flush with the shade or close to it.

1927515762_GI15-10-Copy.jpg.f2d62f05aa96a718e7ca5dbe337175b2.jpg

The completed lamp is just over a 1/4” tall, 2 scale feet.

1162379648_GI15-11-Copy.jpg.ba9de4954b0c7ca14f1de3aeaf592ecc.jpg

I cut four lengths of the tubing for the pendants and work a tiny flange onto one end of each. This mushroomed end will hold the shades and was made by reaming/wallowing with tip of a dressmakers pin.

1866960057_GI15-12-Copy.jpg.08829b84849ff17a2314f88c2af9a823.jpg

The aluminum pendant shades are from Ngineering.  I center drill the domes with a #77 drill bit which makes for a tight fit allowing the flange to hold onto the shade.

1049442757_GI15-13-Copy.jpg.942e1c06215226c522914298c9877e55.jpg

The shades are primed in and out.

1796553154_GI15-14-Copy.jpg.64a2af01351c17e60d8cbe885e205417.jpg

The tubing is pushed through the shade and the 0805 LED wires slipped in. The LEDs were encapsulated with clear Gallery Glass after they were soldered and allowed to dry. This insulates the bare connections so I can push it back into the shade without fear of shorting it out.

2092631267_GI15-15-Copy.jpg.b5d1646694fb5cad43e3a15234fc46a0.jpg

Then another drop of Gallery Glass to hold it firm.

1855014872_GI15-16-Copy.jpg.4b4573b5242346d55cfee1cd21e4f803.jpg

The shade tops are painted a heavy acrylic wash over rust colored primer. It looks like oxidized copper (serendipitous and not what I was aiming for, but I like it and must write that down.)

1470391855_GI15-17-Copy.jpg.ec1201ce1bc969b04e3159b565572033.jpg

1220783364_GI15-18-Copy.jpg.172f85d3e2c9b2db7d1358133f2ede53.jpg

Thanks for looking.  Be safe and stay well.

Gary

Edited by FriedClams

Completed Scratch Builds

That patina matches the look of the station lighting in the interior of the train station my club lives in, in Hendersonville, NC. The building is 119 years old. The club has been in there since 1992. Really like your work, Gary. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Gary, I almost reacted with a 'sad' emoji because with the lights going in, it means this is just about the last chapter of this build. Each completed project is absolutely amazing but the journey with you creating a build is so very rewarding. 

This one isn't even finished and I'm already on the edge of my seat in anticipation of your next project. Any hints? :)