1940 Auto Repair Shop Interior by FriedClams - Finished - Diorama in 1:87

Gary's dioramas are relatable. I've never set foot on an 18th/19th century ship but I have been in that garage. 

Edited by Keith Black

Beyond amazing work, Gary.   As pointed out, this is a relatable world for many of us.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with what others have said above, especially Egilman's comment. I've really enjoyed following along. Great workmanship ! 

3 hours ago, Keith Black said:

.... I've never set foot on an 18th/19th century ship but I have been in that garage. 

127 Hanover St Meriden CT... Been in that shop many many times...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I agree "best in show". Outstanding work. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Very late to this party but just have to add my awe and thanks for sharing this. It's giving me some inspiration for future projects.

Fabulous grunging work! But now don't the brick walls look a little too clean? Or are they yet to be dirtied? Your diorama is a pleasure to look at.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

4 hours ago, druxey said:

Fabulous grunging work! But now don't the brick walls look a little too clean? Or are they yet to be dirtied? Your diorama is a pleasure to look at.

Maybe the kid who hangs around the garage was offered a dollar or so to grab the pressure washer and hose down the shop?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

36 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

the kid who hangs around the garage

Short kid, bout inch tall, freckles, name Lochie. He's OK but his mother is a bit flighty. 

37 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Short kid, bout inch tall, freckles, name Lochie. He's OK but his mother is a bit flighty. 

I think we both know that kid.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Gary

Very enjoyable to follow along, & an especially lovely result.

Could you explain the 1:87 scale?

thanks

12 hours ago, Mark Pearse said:

.... Could you explain the 1:87 scale?

HO = 1/87 most common Model Railroading scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Greetings fellow modelers and thanks so much for the wonderful and generous comments - I do appreciate it.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:50 AM, Cathead said:

Very late to this party but just have to add my awe and thanks for sharing this. It's giving me some inspiration for future projects.

Thanks Eric and I'm glad you found my small build.  I'm pleased it has given you some ideas for future projects.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:53 AM, druxey said:

Fabulous grunging work! But now don't the brick walls look a little too clean? Or are they yet to be dirtied?

Hello Druxey.  Yes, the walls do look a bit too clean now and I might darken them around the bench especially.  But first I want to get the interior lights going and see it as a completed whole before deciding what, if any more dirtying needs to be done.  Thanks for stopping by.

On 12/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, Mark Pearse said:

Could you explain the 1:87 scale?

Hi Mark.  As Egilman has stated, 1:87 is what model railroaders call HO scale and is the most popular scale for that hobby.  Although I'm not a railroad modeler, I do model in HO often to take advantage of the detail items that are available in this scale.  The brick wall blanks, the figures, injection molded window frames and the 29 Ford kit are the items that made the diorama easier to build and more pleasurable.  All these items could of course be scratched, but I wouldn't enjoy the process and if I were intent on scratching everything, I would choose a larger scale - like 1:48 or 1:35.  So 1:87 is a good scale to scratch what is interesting or unavailable and buy detail parts for items that are tedious or that someone else has already done better.  Hope that answers your question.

So, I'm waiting for a couple of latching push button switches to be delivered to complete the diorama.  I hope to show you the final result soon.

Thanks for looking.

Gary   

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings fellow modelers.

The last item to finish on this diorama is the exterior (through the windows) lighting and the wiring. 

A styrene bracket overhangs the end of the building and LEDs are glued to the underside.

156509997_GI21-1-Copy.jpg.62be8a8c2e0b5b6124e17007d5cbf68b.jpg

There are four warm white 5050 diodes and a single 0805.  The 0805 fills in the area above the door.

1469094018_GI21-2-Copy.jpg.2a198f095178cad1f8e9b65cae08cc84.jpg

This model is a lot like real estate – it looks OK until you walk around back.

The black smeared all over the seams is a PVA and acrylic paint mixture and keeps the light from shining through the cracks.  In fact, I've painted the back side of the thin plastic door with the goo to prevent it from glowing as the bright light makes it almost translucent.

1220921296_GI21-3-Copy.jpg.1dbfaf0458fd3e522244dcbbeee67dca.jpg

Originally I had intended on using an industrial/commercial scene, but decided instead on an image with colors that would feel more like a sunny day and contrast with the drab interior.  The scene also needed to be a subject that could be wrapped 90 degrees through the corner which would be difficult to do with close up buildings.  The line-of-sight created by the window positioning necessitates this continuous scene because it allows for viewing positions where the side wall and the back wall can be seen at the same time through a single window.  So two separate scenes (one out the rear window and one out the side) can't be used.

1687927819_GI21-5-Copy.jpg.42602f0a72166ab234b672039d978643.jpg

The trimmed-to-fit image is attached to the side wall and the back gets folded in after the dio module is inserted.  The flare of the lower portion of the photo keeps the viewer from seeing the inside bottom of the shadowbox.  The red wire along with an identical one on the bottom holds the dio in place up tight within the face frame inset.

1223983127_GI21-6-Copy.jpg.1713332846e4737f213d94aa526ad2fd.jpg

Two latching push buttons are recessed into the bottom - one for the interior and one for the exterior. This recess gives me the option to set the shadowbox down on a horizontal surface if I chose not to wall hang it. 

2079547004_GI21-7-Copy.jpg.9031fc02d12bb36739cb9a92fa558719.jpg

The lighting is controlled in 3 main groups with each group having its own PWM (Pulse Width Modulator), so I can adjust their light levels up or down if need be.  The groups are the 5  exterior lights, four pendant lights and two mezzanine lights.  The bench light and pit light are separate with a fixed output.

Here is the final result.  None of the images are focus stacked and the star-like rays coming from the lights are due to the use of a wide angle lens, a very small aperture and long exposure times in attempt to gain the greatest depth of field.  Also, they are not HDR composites although I did open up the shadows in software on some of the images which gives them an HDRish look.

All lights on.

516379196_GI21-8-Copy.jpg.c693880c6bfd768e9defd2076ae6d708.jpg

Interior lights only.

559669434_GI21-9-Copy.jpg.700ac97aa8a1f340373197844e362b56.jpg

Exterior only.

197770369_GI21-10-Copy.jpg.c310ff85179eb6762d7ba247c3db87c9.jpg

All

1548216422_GI21-11-Copy.jpg.71863025bbf2d76ee0640b5c45288c9b.jpg

Interior only.

133506685_GI21-12-Copy.jpg.c4392b73b2074df4648df66fde217506.jpg

Exterior only.

402650170_GI21-13-Copy.jpg.ae4e9675594fca3a32b2a5e1ca736bfa.jpg

1199958508_GI21-14-Copy.jpg.a8550bb9774dc1ed06891da4150f28f7.jpg

573586484_GI21-15-Copy.jpg.4f21f1d8d0a1f4c60c3bbeca117d3018.jpg

1093820802_GI21-16-Copy.jpg.e32e4ab2e54c188c732bc396c1415f25.jpg

1709954553_GI21-17-Copy.jpg.6b4b2de437fffede1ceb8bca4dd0de7c.jpg

724114047_GI21-18-Copy.jpg.b675a0602378ef42e1e8b2d90c4c55bd.jpg

1674321611_GI21-19-Copy.jpg.dea9e1eb73c85143d97430c56b56bcd7.jpg

1582456655_GI21-20-Copy.jpg.d6d809e6170edf989df7066f03b66d19.jpg

857671727_GI21-21-Copy.jpg.e7903879fe18469da932c9e976e5a28b.jpg

1292702242_GI21-22-Copy.thumb.jpg.b0b680f1f9dd203f9fa7ef99f2d64c3f.jpg

784581674_GI21-23-Copy.jpg.edcac64cfd3c33b95b7e53b85872f218.jpg

Thanks to all for stopping to take a look and for the likes.  And I especially want to thank everyone who left comments.  Your encouragement, suggestions and input made this a better model than it otherwise would have been – and much more enjoyable as well.   Thank you so much.

Be safe and stay well.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

That's for a change a real diorama in the true sense of the word and not just a scenic display on a base-board !

The close-up photographs let you forget how small it is in reality - one only realises it on the last picture.

The lighting inside and outside looks very convincing.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I am still looking for my jaw which dropped when I saw these pictures and in particular the last one with your spectacles. Fantastic result, moreover, it was also greatly entertaining to follow step by step your build. Each combination of lightning conveys a different mood and I cannot decide which one I prefer.

Cannot imagine what would be next,

congratulations,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

SOMEONE HAS TO DO SOMETHING!!!!       This has to go in the gallery...  WE need a section for the art of modeling...

A Michaelangelo in plastic.... can't say it any better than that...

Virtuoso my friend virtuoso.... One of the finest pieces of modeling I've ever seen...

Quote:

It makes me laugh, it makes me smile, it makes me think back to times when I watched my Dad (who I thought was God) making or repairing whatever at his bench. That same sense of awe sweeps over me, Gary. Thank you. 

Just stunning Gary. As others have noted, it is only when one sees the last photo with your glasses next to it, that the scale can be truly appreciated. Bravo Sir!

Gary: your model is an absolute gem! Such impressive work at that scale. Terrific!

I'm looking forward to your next creation.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Amazing work    and the scale  - mind bogling.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow! Your close-up shots have been hiding the fact of your diorama's small size -- all the more amazing, considering how much detail you have packed into it. Well done!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Is anyone else suspicious about the size of Gary's eyeglasses? :D

image.png.582878ebd5450ce98c4958c91e4d76f1.png

Speechless 😲😲😳

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Wonderful work, just amazing.

I was also thinking, it is commonly expressed on this forum (including by me) that taking close up photos of our models reveals the small mistakes and smudges, scratches, dents, paint chips and so on.  You, sir, seem to be immune to this phenomenon.  Well done.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Gary, this quite the performance. Bravissimo! 👍👍👍👍👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild