IJN Akitsushima by CDW - FINISHED - Pit-Road - 1:700 Scale PLASTIC - Seaplane Tender

7 hours ago, FriedClams said:

This is some very nice sub-atomic modeling you're doing here CDW.  I had no idea injection molded aftermarket details were available at such a small scale.  And they look quite crisp too.  I've pulled up a chair to follow your progress.  

Gary

Thanks for the comments and for looking in Gary. Welcome aboard.

Thank you for explaining about those Ammo products  - love the ones you use,  they look so handy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 hours ago, CDW said:

The Oilbrusher series can be bought singularly or in color matched sets for various effects. You save a dollar or two by buying the set vs: singles. I want to try out the flesh tones soon.

IMG_2278.jpg

The oilbrusher kits look very interesting and seem to give nice subtle effects which is probably important at 1/700 scale. This might be the next rabbit hole to disappear down. The shortage of display space is rapidly being overtaken by the shortage of space for supplies.

Thanks for showing them

Alan

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Emily

IMG_2280.thumb.jpg.e9d1f666482d024c11a175b489fc8a82.jpgIMG_2281.thumb.jpg.8602d0c8abea17aff4398a22720248d1.jpg

Thats Amazing work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks OC. It's a nicely molded piece from Pit-Road. At one time, they were on top of the plastic model ship range at 1:700 scale but have more recently been overtaken by others. More recent Pit-Road kits have also been very good but not quite as nice as Flyhawk. I have their latest 1:700 Yamato late war variant and it is good. More modern tooling than this kit.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, CDW said:

The Oilbrusher series can be bought singularly or in color matched sets for various effects. You save a dollar or two by buying the set vs: singles. I want to try out the flesh tones soon.

IMG_2278.jpg

The reviews and guides look convincing. I ordered the bare metal and rust sets from Spraygunner. The Aust F might be getting the treatment

Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Alan

the Tender is coming along splendidly Craig!..........great paint and very detailed for such a small model :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fantastic Craig!  You set the bar too high for when I do mine though!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Excellent work mate  - its a little gem  really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Very nicely done Craig. Sounds like it is just the beginning of your 1/700 fleet. DO you have room for a "Fleet" shelf?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 6/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, CDW said:

IMG_2278.jpg

I received the Bare Metal and Rust Oilbrusher kits from Spraygunner today and had a little session of experimentation with them. After watching the Youtube videos I was a little disappointed to find the brush is not the fine point shown in the advertising but a square ended quite broad one. The bristle ring that is supposed to wipe off the excess paint as you withdraw the brush wasn't present either. Maybe Mig have made changes. The finer brush would be nice because my initial conclusion is that the paint is very strong and only a little is needed (like ordinary oil paint I suppose). I did work up the courage to attempt a little rust on HMS Penelope and I don't think I ruined it.

I was using the applicator brush to transfer the paint to a palette and then picking it up with a fine brush (which sort of defeats the point). So from the initial experience I like them and will use them in preference to oil from the tubes.

Many Thanks for referencing them

Alan

1 minute ago, CDW said:

I wonder if that’s something unique to the bare metal series? I have not tried those and all others I have used have the small pointed brush.

The Rust set I got has the same brush too. Maybe I should contact spraygunner.com and see if Mig have made changes

thanks

Alan

Nice work Craig. Really well done!  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

17 hours ago, CDW said:

So it looks like the streaking oil painters have a slightly longer and more pointed brush. Here are my oil brushes for comparison.

DFC28B07-4D20-468E-9037-00ECF6302355.thumb.jpeg.195b36eb216eeae1b4b9eae3b8466b56.jpegDCF59608-C579-4E30-A056-AD284A9B4C58.thumb.jpeg.34be94d07268fb78c45719a3351792ad.jpeg6E64CF7E-B3D6-4B59-8632-5F804C56F539.thumb.jpeg.3f35f134e93e918be64e615ea6bce757.jpeg

Craig

Many Thanks for looking into this for me. Your brush looks just like mine. In the Mig video they show the brush as in the screenshot below

459184737_Screenshot2021-06-29164300.jpg.6ec9abff6234dce84af84968a6dfb051.jpg

Although later images with paint on it do make it look thicker. The video shows its use on larger scale model AFV and planes so that also makes it look smaller> Waving any brush at 1/700 hips makes the brush look big.

Thanks again. I still think its a very convenient way to use oils. I think I will get a few more colours to go with the two sets I already have.