HMS Hood 1941 by CDW - FINISHED - I Love Kit - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

Beautiful model.  I have enjoyed following your build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

jeeze........hope you were able to get that Flyhawk kit back in the box!   that's a lot of stuff! :o  great finish for your model..........you've done an out standing job on the log and the model as well!  very....very nice! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just now, RogerF said:

For Hood I found this 3D video from Draminski quite an eye-opener and should you decide to add any rigging then I am sure it will help you locate and replicate sufficient rigging to do your already superb model justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnzlkfKivpw

The beauty is that, as a video, you can stop it at any point you wish and examine details of where the rigging cables are secured at both ends before attempting to render them on your model.

Thanks for your comments Roger, and particularly for the link to the 3D Hood video. Lack of good reference was the primary reason I chose not to do a little bit of rigging. With this video, I think I will go back and add a little rigging along with a flag.

I'm glad you appreciated the link to the 3-D video - that's just one of the things about this forum that I love. Everybody is only too willing to share experience, tips and tricks and links to relevant information to be found on the web. In the case of 1/700 scale adding rigging will always be a compromise between accuracy and what is physically possible. I find I am spending endless hours researching colour schemes, ship anatomy and rigging so that my understanding of the subject is as complete as possible before I start the build. I'll be interested to see the results of any rigging you decide to add to what is already a superb model.

While bending PE parts for the U-Boat I completed, I used two bending tools, a small, square bending tool and the exquisite DSPIAE bender which wile very expensive is a wonderful tool to use for really accurate bending of the tiniest PE parts - but then I justified the financial outlay by admitting I have a 'tool fetish'!

small bender.jpg

DSPIAE PE parts bender.jpg

13 hours ago, CDW said:

The Flyhawk HMS Hood came with the mail today. Includes some of what appears to be 3D printed parts. Extensive photo etch and metal barrels. This is the deluxe kit and will sit on the shelf until ready to build another Hood. Gonna watch a couple other guys build it first. 😄

Awww, come on Craig! You can't leave us in the lurch like that! I was hoping to follow your lead on the Flyhawk Hood avoiding any problems you might encounter as your build progressed. Humppff. Looks like I'll have to go it alone once my Hood arrives - unless anybody else cares to lead the way .....

14 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Beautiful model.  I have enjoyed following your build log.

14 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

jeeze........hope you were able to get that Flyhawk kit back in the box!   that's a lot of stuff! :o  great finish for your model..........you've done an out standing job on the log and the model as well!  very....very nice! :) 

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. You're welcome back anytime.

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 8/4/2021 at 2:14 PM, CDW said:

With great difficulty using the smallest tweezers in my tool collection.

The above was your answer to the question: How did you twist the steps of the PE ladders?

I decided to try one of those ladders (I chose part Y78) to see if I'm up to the task! Bending the sides up at a right angle was no sweat but, the steps! I have a couple of very fine-nosed tweezers in my collection but MY question is:

How did you hold the staircase while bending the steps? The scale is microscopic and it must have taken a long time and tremendous patience to bend up all the steps of all the ladders. I'm sort of looking forward to the challenge as a love-hate relationship!

Just now, RogerF said:

How did you hold the staircase while bending the steps? The scale is microscopic and it must have taken a long time and tremendous patience to bend up all the steps of all the ladders. I'm sort of looking forward to the challenge as a love-hate relationship!

Sorry for any misunderstanding...I did not twist the steps on the ladders. They are far too small to attempt without destroying the ladder IMO.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Sorry for any misunderstanding...I did not twist the steps on the ladders. They are far too small to attempt without destroying the ladder IMO.

I was thinking the same, I struggled to turn the steps even in 1/350 scale  using the end of my blade  - too many snapped away.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 8/16/2021 at 2:58 PM, CDW said:

Oh dear! My Flyhawk Hood having arrived, I have been familiarising myself with the parts and instructions. Close-up examination of the stairs/ladders would seem to indicate that the steps are indeed intended to be twisted.... I had a closer look with a microscope(!) and it certainly looks that way. In fact the stairs might well look a bit strange if only the hand rails are bent and the steps left as they are. The steps are cut to shape differently to the I Love Kit ones and the only drawing of a finished ladder in the PE instructions - Part A45 on page 3 of the PE instructions - seems to also suggest bending the steps.

I tell you what, we'll wait until somebody else gets as far into their Hood build that ladders are being fitted and see what they do.... 😉

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to HMS Hood 1941 by CDW - FINISHED - I Love Kit - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC