USS Langley by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

I’ve been waiting a few years for this to come out, and Trumpeter has an upgrade set as well as Eduard has some nets. 

strangely the Full deck (Av1)  upgrade set has a wooden deck and Av3 does not. 

Lots of PE to bend but should not be too hard (he says now). Also a few other goodies like a few Catalinas and other bits still in the mail. 

I want to have her as she would have been in Darwin harbour in 1942 just before her demise. If you’ve been to Darwin, it’s Oz’s last frontier so in 1942 it would have been challenging. 

C89BAB4F-D614-4D85-B23A-8D1A46029FBA.jpeg

1C324AFF-F448-4385-A08F-D6ED07FB4385.jpeg

18484660-CCA6-4171-9F47-8FEAC9A24595.jpeg

Greg

Hey, I'm not that old.  😀

I love some of those pictures, especially the one with the flock of Catalinas sitting on the water in the foreground. The stern view in the drydock is great for detail, too.  I seem to recall reading an article on a scratchbuild of this ship (in its CV-1 version, with the wooden flight deck) in Ships in Scale a few years ago?

Greg, the twin engine amphibians have twin tails. Any idea what those are? My flying boat recognition is sadly lacking. Oh and I'll be following this build. I have a soft spot in my heart for the star-crossed ships of ABDA.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

This will be an interesting build mate  - got my chair.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I like this old carriers. Count me in.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I'm with Ken

The ships of ABDAFLOAT and their misuse by the controlling powers was truly a shame of the time, even though there was probably little else that could have possibly been done in the opening days of WWII. The loss of the Langley was possibly the pinnacle of mismanagement and blundering about the ocean almost aimlessly until she was located and sunk by the enemy for what was already a lost cause.

Looking forward to see what you do with her.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Heaps of research out these, this link is the original plans as a collier. https://maritime.org/doc/plans/ac3.pdf

when you zoom in there are hull features such as pipes running along the hulls which I assume are fuel lines . I’ll need to add those and scuppers too. 

Greg

The PE will make this really pop. It's light-years better than the kit plastic.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:41 PM, Canute said:

Greg, the twin engine amphibians have twin tails. Any idea what those are? My flying boat recognition is sadly lacking. Oh and I'll be following this build. I have a soft spot in my heart for the star-crossed ships of ABDA.

This question has been bugging me, I thought I knew most of the WW2 flying boats but this one I didn't recognise. Sikorsky?  Dornier?  Neither fits.

108015929_ConsolidatedP2YRanger.jpg.481b4766fe5961e3af54d44aacd42de8.jpg

After some intensive searching, I find it's a Consolidated P2Y Ranger.  This is the service history from Wikipedia:

The Navy ordered 23 P2Y-1s on 7 July 1931. They were serving by mid-1933 with VP-10F and VP-5F squadrons which made a number of classic long-range formation flights.  At least 21 P2Y-1s were modified to P2Y-2s in 1936 and flown by VP-5F and VP-10F until 1938, when they were transferred to VP-14 and VP-15.

The first P2Y-3s reached VP-7F in 1935, and this version was flown by VP-4F at Pearl Harbor and in 1939 was in operation with VP-19, VP-20, and VP-21. By the end of 1941, all the P2Y-2s and P2Y-3s had been withdrawn from operational use and were at Naval Air Station Pensacola.

So not really a WW2 flying boat. Phew!

Consolidated P2Y - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Edited by Tony Hunt

So you thought you would sneak another past me .... ha! caught you out.  What an interesting build Greg, this will a nice one to follow along with.

BTW what brand/type is that 'visor' in the second last photo of post #16 above 

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I use a pair similar to those Greg  - with a box of different strength lenses?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 minutes ago, RGL said:

2 years ago I didn’t need them! 

I know the feeling Greg  same  with me  - If I don't wear my glasses  I loose the admiral.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Gentlemen, that's due to TMB - too many birthdays. My eyesight was very sharp up until age 42-43, then slid down hill slowly. Glasses helped me keep up. Last year, at age 72, the growing cataracts got bad enough to require surgery. Now, my distance vision needs no assistance; however, I do need readers/optivisor for closeup work. I think that's fairly typical. I attempted some 1/700 PE, but it's been a while. I think I'll work in bigger scales, mostly for the manual dexterity rather than the visual issues.

Ken

I'm in for this one Greg.  I have some of the similar Japanese subjects in 1/700 scale on the shelf, but always liked the Langley - especially this one as compared to the CV-1 with the full deck.

What do you think of the kit?  It doesn't look like it builds into too large of a model at this scale?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I'm sure another masterpiece in the making.  I suspect that this would be a very disappointing kit without the PE given the extensive lattice structures.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)