finished my first ship!

wstalcup

Its the constructo USS Enterprise (1799).  It took 2 months (500+ hours of work)  At least over 100 errors making it! LOL.. it was really hard.. Instructions weren't too helpful  (e.g. like 1 page says plank the entire hull and shows only 2 pictures...  It was really rough to build (for me anyway).. I felt it was like a torture at some(most) times.. but in the end.. very glad I had done it! (yay!)  It was beginner try to build up experience to build the USS Constitution.. but for now going to take a break! Thanks all for all of your help!

v.r

Bill
done.jpg.64ce9cbded2d40a82b8b4d7aabf4dae7.jpg

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Congratulations on finishing your Enterprise.  It is very nicely built, especially for your first wooden ship model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Good Morning Bill;

Good work, well done for staying the course and completing your model. Let's hope that it is only the first of many, and that the enjoyment increases with each succeeding project. 

The standard of workmanship is greater than I managed on my first model; hats off to you!

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Good work, welcome to the shipbuilding hobby. If you are considering a second build and would like detailed high quality instructions with plenty of photo's I would recommend you check out Amati Victory line and Vanguard kits. Both designed by Chris Watton, a member of this forum and owner of the Vanguard line.  He also designed many of the Caldercraft's static model kits.

regards

Malcolm   

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

Finishing a first wooden ship model is quite an achievement.
Very well done.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

10 hours ago, Malcolm Greig said:

Good work, welcome to the shipbuilding hobby. If you are considering a second build and would like detailed high quality instructions with plenty of photo's I would recommend you check out Amati Victory line and Vanguard kits. Both designed by Chris Watton, a member of this forum and owner of the Vanguard line.  He also designed many of the Caldercraft's static model kits.

regards

Malcolm   

will do! thanks!

Very well done!  I think you will continue to be pleased with your first effort, even as your skills continue to improve.  There is very much to be proud of here; clean woodwork, and taught rigging are major accomplishments!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

• 2 months later...