Proxxon FET Inquiry

Before everyone tells me to buy a Brynes saw it is far too much for me to spend in Canada.

Home Depot sells the FET for $398 and would like input from people that have one and how it works out for them.

Since this has 4 inch blades it will work for what I want to do which is ripping planks and such. I did look at the cheaper Proxxon and also the Micromark saws but then cheap Proxxon has a 2 inch blade and doesn't have a full fence.

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

I love my FET. I have had it for 9 years and it's still going strong. It is very much used by other European modellers too, including the prize winners and the most accomplished, and you'll regularly see superb builds on this site where the FET has been used.

You can get lots of blades for it, especially if you buy the MicroMark saw blade adapter (item #83515) for the size of the bush. And the accuracy is very high once you have learned all the quirks of its main parts which are best done in a sequence. I can easily get mine to a tolerance of 0.1mm.

Of course, that alone doesn't make you a great modeller, and I am still learning. But it won't be because the saw doesn't work properly. Proxxon's backup service is also great.

Tony

What Tony said.  ARROW Jewelry Necklaces valresa.com

Edited by bruce d

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Paul, to clarify: I have a Byrnes saw and it is without a doubt the best. The FET is a good, solid 2nd place in this race and although I sold mine when the Byrnes arrived, it wasn't long until I missed the tilting blade facility of the FET.

The FET is a good tool.

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Bruce,   To confirm, are you saying the Jimsaw does NOT have tilting blade capabilties?    That might nix my next dream purchase......  Rats!!!!   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

While it is true that the Jimsaw does not tilt, consider how often you actually need to make a tilting cut. And, if you do frequently need to, Jim has a subsidiary tilting table top that will achieve the same result. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

17 minutes ago, druxey said:

Jim has a subsidiary tilting table top that will achieve the same result. 

Allan, as David says, there is a solution available. I am fiddling around with a  shop-built table but don't expect it to be as good. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

@PRS

This 1/2" arbor adapter from Micromark works on the FET and will increase your blade options..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

This Proxxon at $398 vs the real deal Byrnes saw at $475 does seem like much of a price difference.  Whatever it costs anything other than the Byrnes saw is settling for second best. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Do you feel it is all you need without any of the add on's?

—MICHAEL ROSE

As an unrepentant thread wanderer I bit my lip when I read the first post above.  Since others have uttered the “B” word 😁 I’m now free to add my two cents worth.

I have a Miniature table saw (Byrnes) and it’s a beautifully made tool.  It can do a great job of precisely cutting small section timbers.  The original request was, however, for a saw for “ripping planks and such.”  If this means cutting model sized planking from sheet stock, a miniature table saw is a good choice.  But, if this means breaking full thickness planks (3/4in) down to scale thickness I would recommend something with more power; either a full sized table saw or bandsaw.

A table saw using 8in blades can be used to rip full thickness stock.  Then fitted with a hollow ground blade and zero clearance insert can produce model sized planking.

Roger

18 hours ago, PRS said:

....would like input from people that have one and how it works out for them.

This is what PRS asked, and it looks like a couple of owners have responded with relevant information..

I can only echo what tkay11 says.

The tilting blade  and micro adjustable fence are great to have without  having to assemble or disassemble anything.

Of course, the heart of a good saw is the blade, and  I don't care for the options offered by Proxxon.   I have been using blades from Malco Saw.

I'm sure there are superior machines but I have no reason to purchase one if the FET is doing what I need to do..

If you have any specific questions Pail, I will try to answer based on my experience.

—MICHAEL ROSE

3 minutes ago, Gregory said:

... the heart of a good saw is the blade, and  I don't care for the options offered by Proxxon. 

I got very good results with a thin slitting saw and adapter ring. Sadly I can't recall the maker but there are plenty of sources: just make sure the adapter is a good fit and that the number of teeth is appropriate. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

Yes I would get the more expensive Brynes saw but look at it this way.

$450 plus 30% exchange and then 15% duty and then shipping puts it out of my price range. Sorry I didn't specify that at the start of the question.

12 hours ago, tkay11 said:

I love my FET. I have had it for 9 years and it's still going strong. It is very much used by other European modellers too, including the prize winners and the most accomplished, and you'll regularly see superb builds on this site where the FET has been used.

You can get lots of blades for it, especially if you buy the MicroMark saw blade adapter (item #83515) for the size of the bush. And the accuracy is very high once you have learned all the quirks of its main parts which are best done in a sequence. I can easily get mine to a tolerance of 0.1mm.

Of course, that alone doesn't make you a great modeller, and I am still learning. But it won't be because the saw doesn't work properly. Proxxon's backup service is also great.

Tony

I really appreciate that and you helped me make up my mind. Wanted to make sure it was decent and not a pile of junk.

Everyone here has been really helpful. :)

Paul

22 hours ago, PRS said:

$450 plus 30% exchange and then 15% duty and then shipping puts it out of my price range.

I hear you on that!  It seems to be a problem just about everywhere outside the US, if comments on MSW are any indication. I see that Barrie, Ontario is only about 145 miles from Buffalo, New York. An affordable Jim Saw may be closer than you think. :D 

If my memory of his prior posts serves, MSW forumite Kevin Kenny, who lives in Trinidad and Tobago, has found it impossible to obtain many modeling essentials in his homeland and solves that problem by stocking up on tools and supplies whenever he visits his daughter in New York. He may be able to share some pointers on how that works for him.

So I ordered the saw Monday night and received it Friday from Home Depot.

I also ordered the other two different blades for it. The Super Cut and the Fine Cut blade.

This saw works pretty good and using the fine tooth blade is will be able to cut planks. The super cut is a weird blade and not sure what to use it for.

Now I did use the fine toothed blade to cut some MDF and completely ruined the blade. Lesson learned on my part.

I did make a crosscut sled and it works well. Having a table saw will be a game changer for me now as I can cut what I need and also cut many pieces to the exact same length when I need it.

Paul

Paul,  up at the top of this area is a pinned post for the Byrnes Reference done by Jeff when he owned Hobby Mill.   There is a good section in that PDF for blades (toothcount vs. wood thickness) that really applies to all our hobby saws.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Paul,  up at the top of this area is a pinned post for the Byrnes Reference done by Jeff when he owned Hobby Mill.   There is a good section in that PDF for blades (toothcount vs. wood thickness) that really applies to all our hobby saws.   

Thanks. Good information to have.

Paul

13 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Geez, I had no idea I could buy a Proxxon at Home Depot Canada. Interesting, although out of stock at the moment.

Amazon is supposed to have some in a week also.

Paul

• 5 months later...

Few months late to the topic (I'm fairly new so have an excuse  :) )

Has anyone bought this model recently ?

I saw a couple of recent purchase reviews that basically said the quality had gone from the new models with sloppy adjustments and misaligned blades.

I am looking to re-arm myself with some decent tools since my 20 plus year lay off from modelling but I don't want to throw away money.

Since I am UK based the Byrnes saw is not an option without a hefty chunk of postage and the usual ransom sized customs duty :(

Any advice, suggestions or guidance gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Shane