HMS Speedy by David Lester - FINISHED - Vanguard Models

Good Morning,

Time for an update. I have pretty much finished the standing rigging. I don't really have too much comment to make as it all went very routinely.

Topmast shrouds in place -

IMG_0369.jpg.5488b74022831fde0ee6cfbea5c64364.jpg

Ratlines - I have always used black thread in the past for the ratlines, but the instructions here called for natural thread to be stained afterwards. Does anyone know why that would be? Is natural thread inherently better for ratlines than black thread? In any case, I decided to give it a go. I used India ink to colour them.

IMG_0374.jpg.1d8d7468149cacf5a136d414f3eec6e6.jpg

I decided to try to make my own mouses (mice?) for the forestays. I started with a 1/8" dowel and drilled about a 1mm hole into the end of it. Then I started paring the wood away with an xacto knife, sanded it smooth and then cut it off.

IMG_0375.jpg.c8c5b9f86b9016693e77a49277a6db41.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg.eae719f423e1840806ccc88b74052250.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg.9f9a52d5dfbc0277a6b85026abe95d2c.jpg

Once I was happy enough with the tension, I glued and trimmed all the lines -

IMG_0382.jpg.3fd9933d16707107029dd575785179e4.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg.477023dc99d2246f2af534403447bd92.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg.76455cd94c5160e1e83c7c18003d655b.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg.7b39a5cf6842d37cf09c6e9a3d65691c.jpg

So next up is the lower yards.

David

Edited by David Lester

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

3 hours ago, David Lester said:

the instructions here called for natural thread to be stained afterwards. Does anyone know why that would be?

I have never understood that and consequently have never done it. Why risk black ink stains on the ship, hands, work bench, etc. when you can just use black rope.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Glenn,

I think I'm with you on the ratline thing. That India ink wanted to go everywhere as I applied it. I will return to black line next time.

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone.

David

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the thing I like the least about any build is the (bleeped) little boats. I never have good luck with them. The Charles W. Morgan had seven of them and it was almost the end of me.

Thank goodness there's only one for the Speedy, and at long last I have it finished. Initially, I messed it up so badly, that I had to order a new one. And by the way, for those of you in Canada, I discovered that Vanguard has a distributor here -The Crafty Sailor, which provides very good service. So I bought my replacement one there.

Here are a few representative pictures:

IMG_0264.jpg.18907895b55b3edf8e97e99449138a3c.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg.b780c5a7a8736ac1465b3ea0975dbdae.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg.20983830c512b4b78fcb875775737b5f.jpgIMG_0390.jpg.1b356c45bd7f80eb41c615067cacc489.jpg

I've had the interior together, taken apart and back together again so many times, I've lost count and I've stripped and repainted the white paint at least three times. In any event, I think the result is now acceptable, and it will have to be, because that's as good as it's going to get.

I enjoy every other aspect of a build, but for some reason these boats always have me strung out. I'm not sure why. I have four of these coming up for Agamemnon, so I think I might get them out of the way sooner rather than later, then I can relax for the rest of the build.

I've also been making progress of the Speedy rigging, which will be in my next update.

Again, thanks for checking in!

David

Thanks Dave and Bob; you're too kind!

David,

Did you notice that Vanguard (Chris) now sells a hull, completely formed, with ribs, so all you have to do is add the interior? In my Sophie build, which is based on Speedy, I'm

tempted to just buy the hull. Yours turned out exceptionally well, but it's a bugger to get just right.

BTW, That mouse turned out really well. Gotta try it!

Tom

Edited by TBlack
addition

Coming along very nicely David. I agree with your comments about ships' boats - not my favourite part of the build either.

On 5/7/2022 at 1:49 AM, TBlack said:

Vanguard (Chris) now sells a hull, completely formed, with ribs

I'm tempted to go with Tom's suggestion when I get around to unboxing Sphinx.

On ratlines, I think the idea is that white thread is easier to see. Having tried it once, I'm going back to black.

Nice mice, btw. I make mine on the lathe, but your results look just as good and probably involve much less messing around trying to get angles and such right.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Hi guys, thanks for all your comments. Just getting to them now, as I have been away for the week at the Habitat for Humanity Canada national conference. (I'm the local affiliate chairperson.) It felt both good and unsettling at the same time to be meeting again in a large group.

Tom - I have noticed the boat you're referring too. Maybe next time.

Derek - I am definitely using black ratlines next time too.

Thanks again,

David

Good Morning,

Just a brief update this morning. I've attached all the yards -

Lower yards - jeers and trusses

IMG_0397.jpg.aaf6c91e0c38ef444d05f668a68fc25c.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg.5db0f89519fbc01dd07d5e98b6f812f7.jpg

For the trusses, I used these small cast bullseyes from Bluejacket. I'm a big fan of them and I like to keep a supply of them on hand. They come in several different sizes, but I really like the smallest ones - 1/16" inch - because they're easy to use and never look over scale.

IMG_0398.jpg.6543d89bb42f468de9a47add8308abd1.jpg

They blacken easily and just need a small amount of cleanup. (Of course when all is said and done, you can't even see them on the trusses, but at least I know they're there.)

Parrels and ties on the topsail yards -

IMG_0393.jpg.b1cf80f36e24b6e9b4f8279735ab3069.jpg

Ties on the topgallant yards -

IMG_0396.jpg.0e7804717212efc72683fd0e95577312.jpg

There isn't really too much to explain about my methods. I just added each according to the plans. It was all pretty straightforward and free of problems.

I've started working on the boom and gaff. The completion of this build is actually within sight; then I will turn my attention to Agamemnon in earnest.

Thanks again for likes, comments etc. Very much appreciated. 

David

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

I'm now getting very close to the finish line for the running rigging. I've been working my way through it, step by step without any real problems (except for a couple of my own making.) The plans are excellent and it really couldn't be more straightforward.

Boom and gaff -

IMG_0408.jpg.c361aa995109cd007640bcccc4dc3d79.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg.e348ddea34cf05ba6c724c54239018b9.jpg

The lifts -

IMG_0411.jpg.c132c113e45370985a82e18080595596.jpg

Many times when I return to the model, I look at what I did previously and think "Were you on drugs? What were you thinking?"  In this case, for reasons I don't understand I had placed the lower yard lift blocks near the aft side of the mast cap and not the fore side. So I had to fix that in situ, but otherwise smooth sailing.

IMG_0410.jpg.b0e26dc763456563772d932f4875b1e3.jpg

Clews, tacks, sheets and bow lines all added next - 

IMG_0416.jpg.d01efc804fae6679fb490d09d638ee66.jpg

I'm now working on the braces. The spritsail yard braces are in place and here are the blocks attached to the main stay for the lower fore braces -

IMG_0417.jpg.139e6f0a7b7984f7a81142cb162045b0.jpg

I did run into a complication with the spritsail yard braces that a bit of foresight on my part would have avoided. One of the nice things about well drawn plans is that they show each component of the rigging in isolation so it's quite clear where each line originates, its path and where it terminates. However, this also makes it easy to forget that in actuality you end up with a tight concentration of lines and blocks in a very small area, such as under the mast top.

In the picture below, you can see that the spritsail brace (#49) runs through two blocks underneath the mast top. They are actually double blocks which the brace shares with the clew line #29 in the second picture.

IMG_0414.jpg.627ad10da8144b5d09e4a77e9ee8b356.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg.d3c1c39bf17edb67e3aad30abe87dc71.jpg

I had previously attached the clew line and belayed it and as a result those two blocks no longer had much range of movement. When I went to add the brace, it was almost impossible to thread it through the second block. The area was dense with shrouds, futtock shrouds and many other lines running down. It was difficult to even find the block, let alone identify the clear path through it. I tried approaching it from the front and from the rear, but the same problem arose either way. In the end I cut the clew line, freeing the blocks and then I could manipulate them sufficiently to get both the brace line through as well as the new clew line. 

All I needed to have done was either not belay the clew line until after I had the brace line in place or possibly have added the brace line much earlier in the process and just let it rest there until I was ready to fully install it later.

Just a minor frustration that I will take note of for the future.

Other than that, the running rigging is progressing very easily (largely due to the excellent drawings) and when the braces are complete, it will be done. Then all that remains is to add rope coils, the anchors and the boat and to transport it safely to my son-in-law's office!

Thanks again for comments, likes etc.

David

Dave - yes it's 3/16".

I have been working on rope coils. I have always hated doing rope coils. Not because they're fiddly and monotonous; I don't mind fiddly and I thrive on monotony. But because I am seldom happy with the result.  There are many different methods shown either on the forum or on youtube which are essentially variations on the same approach and I can never make any of them work really well for me. My problem is always with the "small dab of glue" to hold the whole thing together. I can never get the loop at the top to hold unless I apply considerably more than a small dab, which always discolours the line, shows through to the front and ends up looking like a mess. Then when I use glue to attach the coil to the belaying pin it just looks like a solid row of glue running along the tops of the belaying pins. (I'm exaggerating slightly, but still I'm always disappointed with my efforts.)

So here is my new variation and I think the results are better than what I have been able to do in the past. It isn't substantially different from what others do, but I solved the problem of holding the whole thing together -

I started out the same as most of the other methods. I wrap the line around two nails four or five times, however I don't worry about making the loop at this point.

IMG_0420.jpg.292047d5653ee5fbddc79bc32f4235d8.jpg

Then I tied a knot at the top of the coil with a piece of fine thread.

IMG_0431.jpg.5f0e6027637d8a16efa55cd9e5c605c0.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg.c055d3bcd18fc1e21611f96f87c9a909.jpg

I slathered the whole thing with glue. I used matte finish podge, which I understand is similar to watered down white glue.

IMG_0423.jpg.ab4f56933526e24055d90a7cb8797b43.jpg

When it was dry, I ended up with this -

IMG_0432.jpg.0d23d91fe6677f4a5cab45f4535a0d66.jpg

I pulled one of the long ends from the back to the front and made a loop and pulled the long end up to the top at the back, adjusting the loop to the approximate correct size.

IMG_0433.jpg.6645caad34dc95adc95ec550ad01cb43.jpg

Then with the good side down, I held in the the clamp and tied another knot around the base of the loop with fine thread.

IMG_0434.jpg.c080405cd34cff32a8e0af3761534e6a.jpg

This way, it's possible to add a small dab of ca clue to the knot at the back and have it hold well, without showing through to the front

IMG_0435.jpg.12c5ff92a4e409a48dcde1c91fcc9469.jpg

Then it was just a matter of trimming the threads and attaching it to the pin.

IMG_0438.jpg.0c91b049b8f84d2aa1356bc2a0fa8174.jpg

I guess one could argue that there shouldn't be a knot tied around the base of the loop and the loop should not be cinched. Nevertheless I think it looks better than the heavily glued look which, despite my best efforts, I was usually ending up with previously. So for what it's worth, there's one more variation on rope coils.

David

Good Morning All,

Speedy is finished. The last of the braces wrapped up the rigging, then it was just a matter of adding the anchors, rope coils, boat and swivel guns. A bit of touch up with paint was the last thing to do. Now I just have to transport it safely to my son-in-law's office.

This model was a pleasure from beginning to end. The only swearing was directed at myself and not at the kit, which is how I know it's a great kit.

Thanks again for checking in, "likes" etc. Very much appreciated.

David

IMG_0449.jpg.6ac0eeb5d980dfa1075f6ebd8e1ac009.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg.c95b963f5e4e0d281b08bb36cca3f5af.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg.2ba49973630207ed6d944fbac039147b.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg.3c9dcf41f7eb163bfb1ddf0e8d997969.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg.489a625ad859800227f8d3a960374218.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg.19ec9dca6ca3d8bf753890af1d26d9e5.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg.80c8263ab7b2975a21eacbab0245c925.jpg

Another beautifully done HMS speedy. It's a perfect office decoration!

Cheers

Very well done David - a beautiful model.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Excellent work, it’s a great looking model and a Speedy well done. Great work!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks guys. A friend of mine called one of my models "a great achievement." I told him that finding places for them is the great achievement! Displaying them is no small problem. We have the Bluenose, and only the Bluenose out for public enjoyment in our living room. The rest are confined to shelves in my hibernaculum.

I have been working away at farming them out. My grandson has my Rattlesnake, my daughter and son-in-law have a Bluenose, my son and daughter-in-law have my Charles Morgan and Speedy is going to my son-in-law's office. Also I donated my Armed Virginia Sloop to a silent auction fundraiser, but I still have a number of them to contend with.

The Agamemnon has been weighing heavily on my mind. However I think I have a solution. Just this week, my daughter moved her law practice into a new office space and she has announced that she would like to have the Constitution there. It has always been her favourite of my collection and she says she now has a perfect place for it. It's similar in size to the Agamemnon, so it looks like a spot is about to open up for it.

It's a never ending battle, but one I'm prepared to accept because I get so much enjoyment from building them.

Thanks again,

David

IMG_0459.jpg.60f2eda157ccd07e081fb79cd2f8a52f.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg.86804511a60bf1984aebd75e557dfde7.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg.1d8de0bae7398272786e677c0ff6a8b3.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg.fe0ccb0aa726911b22092a42853a168b.jpg

A wonderful and clean build of this very attractive ship, congratulations. 

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

Truly exceptional work, David. All of your models look fantastic! Can't wait to follow your next build.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you, thank you - you are all too kind. I feel like a real amateur compared to most of you, so it's really nice to read your remarks.

Thanks again,

David