Veritas Miniature Worktop from Lee Valley Tools

Go to solution Solved by Jack12477,

While browsing the Lee Valley website I came across their online 2021 Christmas Catalog. On page 36 they show this cool miniature worktop with 1/3 scale miniature hold down clamps. This is a nice addition to their 1/3 scale miniature Veritas tools.597029975_Screenshot_20211025-112209_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b3b66f2d9ca1334795762ed84b0ef38b.jpg

9 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Lee Valley... The Franklin Mint of tool companies?

Exactly.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just got confirmation from Lee Valley that my order for the board and one set of dogs has shipped, the other set of dogs are backorder and will ship soon. Admiral doesn't know it yet but she's giving it to me for Christmas 😊😇

10 minutes ago, JohnLea said:

Not a lengthy run.  They are out of stock.

What's out of stock ?  I just looked and the table worktop and surface dogs are available online. The plane stop and other dog are backorder. 

I tried an order and was told they were out of stock.  Expected back in by Nov 1.  I am a little red faced in that I am not sure what I was going to order that prompted that.  I planned on multiple items and quit on the first rejection.

By the way, that workbench is appealing.  Did you notice if it was for sale or is it just a prop for the photo?

The closer you get to Canada, the more things will eat your horses. ~ T. King

Just ordered my Christmas presents for this year.  Thanks Jack!

By the way, how do you like the mini vise?  I have a Panavise that I use but was wondering about the mini vice.  Does it need to be attached to a bench or table?

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I have some of those cutting tools.  All in all, the whole kit IS kinda sexy.  The most useful tool for me was a small plane that is not offered.   My evaluation is that some of the tools will be useful, but special effort will be necessary to use them instead of what you would normally use.  The benches and hold downs will be a stretch to apply at best.   This whole set seems more useful for someone who models miniature copies of full size furniture.  Something made up of right angles and flat planes.  Not for something made up of near infinitely varied curves.  Measure twice, cut once or avoid an impulse buy.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

20 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Does it need to be attached to a bench or table?

Yes! It comes with instructions and diagrams on how to attach it. Mine is still in the box waiting for a suitable small bench. Been looking at various mini tables on YouTube for ideas. 

I noticed after I posted that Lee Valley included instructions under the care tab.  Looks like a great little vise!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

By the way, how do you like the mini vise?  I have a Panavise that I use but was wondering about the mini vice.  Does it need to be attached to a bench or table?

A woodworking bench vise of that size is a severely limited tool when it comes to versatility. A wood vise should not be used for metal, while a metal vise can be used for wood. It has no swivel capability. If one is into collecting miniature tools, it may be desirable, but not for serious work. At the present time, based on current reviews on a variety of sites, the Stanley 2-7/8" Light Duty Multi-Angle Vise with Swivel Base, at less than $50 is the apparent favorite. I don't have one myself, so this is just hearsay, but I plan to remedy that shortly.

Stanley 83-069M $46.95 2-7/8" Light Duty Multi-Angle Vise with Swivel Base | Zoro.com

Stanley 2-7/8" Light Duty Multi-Angle Vise with Swivel Base 83-069M

52 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

A woodworking bench vise of that size is a severely limited tool when it comes to versatility. A wood vise should not be used for metal, while a metal vise can be used for wood. It has no swivel capability. If one is into collecting miniature tools, it may be desirable, but not for serious work. At the present time, based on current reviews on a variety of sites, the Stanley 2-7/8" Light Duty Multi-Angle Vise with Swivel Base, at less than $50 is the apparent favorite. I don't have one myself, so this is just hearsay, but I plan to remedy that shortly.

Stanley 83-069M $46.95 2-7/8" Light Duty Multi-Angle Vise with Swivel Base | Zoro.com

That swivel feature is really nice.  This is what I have, which has served me pretty well over the years.  I don't know if I could plane a small piece of wood held in the jaws, but maybe I could.

image.thumb.png.4cbfdca6172e69079b306348aaf6ca15.png

Mike

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I wish they would publish the plans for the table in this Video

Made my night…

56 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

My Lionel train catalog is called Sherline.  Every time I think that I’m fully equipped, I find another accessory that I gotta have!

Yeah, Sherline is another one.  Always seem to be coming up with cool new accessories for the mill and lathe!

Mike

4 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

I purchased one of these in the outset of wooden ship building. My father was an engineer and we stocked out a full workshop with a 1907 belt driven Drummond lathe + other stuff from the early 30s and 40s in my youth (1980s), so I got to appreciate quality.  This vice is heavy, but pretty good/ sturdy.  Grip can be a little fierce, needs some thought on pads for gripping softer materials   I have supplemented with a jewellers vice to hold really small parts.  I would love to be able to get out and pick up some “ old” kit from auction etc.  Amazon purchases have shown how dreadful some of the modern builds are.  I’m after a traverse table to supplement my Dremmel set up, and reviews are a little dire….

4 hours ago, RegAuthority said:

I would love to be able to get out and pick up some “ old” kit from auction etc.  Amazon purchases have shown how dreadful some of the modern builds are.

The core of my shop, which I've built over a period of fifty years and three or four versions is "old 'arn,." Like you, I started with early 1950's "hand me downs" from my Dad. Every one of his old Craftsman stationary power tools is still going strong. One thing I learned is that mass equals stability and stability equals accuracy. That's why cast iron tools are still so desirable. And they are out there if you are willing to spend the time searching for them. Local auction and "for sale" sites are a good place to keep an eye on. Every time a craftsman shuffles off this mortal coil, there's usually a widow who can't wait to get rid of his "junk" for peanuts. I envy the British modelers. England seems to have something of a culture of "model engineers," much more than we do in the U.S., so you have a lot of good used stuff floating around over there, or so it seems. Get yourself a well-tooled Unimat lathe to enjoy while you are waiting to find a nice lightly used, well-tooled Myford 7.  :D 

8 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I don't know if I could plane a small piece of wood held in the jaws, but maybe I could.

Yes, I found that the Panavise was a bit light for a lot of applications, but there really is a need for a range of vises in a well-equipped shop. I've got several from a big heavy six-inch jawed bench vise at one end, through an eight-inch woodworking vise, a couple of portable vises that clamp on the edge of workbenches, three or four machinist's vises of various sizes, an engraver's vise, a couple of jeweler's vises, a Black and Decker "Workmate," which is a sort of portable workbench that doubles as a vise, and a now somewhat-rare original (not the Asian copy) Zyliss "Swiss Army" vise, which is a wonderfully versatile patternmaker's style vise originally designed for field use by the Swiss Army.

3 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

The core of my shop, which I've built over a period of fifty years and three or four versions is "old 'arn,." Like you, I started with early 1950's "hand me downs" from my Dad. Every one of his old Craftsman stationary power tools is still going strong. One thing I learned is that mass equals stability and stability equals accuracy. That's why cast iron tools are still so desirable. And they are out there if you are willing to spend the time searching for them. Local auction and "for sale" sites are a good place to keep an eye on. Every time a craftsman shuffles off this mortal coil, there's usually a widow who can't wait to get rid of his "junk" for peanuts. I envy the British modelers. England seems to have something of a culture of "model engineers," much more than we do in the U.S., so you have a lot of good used stuff floating around over there, or so it seems. Get yourself a well-tooled Unimat lathe to enjoy while you are waiting to find a nice lightly used, well-tooled Myford 7.  :D 

Bob, I sort of crave getting a Myford or similar, but can’t justify.  In our work shop we had a mini jewellers lathe that was some 12 “ long.  After my father died (asbestos related) there were too many memories at the time to even thinking about keeping some of the smaller stuff and we donated everything to a local railway preservation society (my father was a train enthusiast), it went to a good home, but now, okay it’s 30 + years on, I do rue not keeping some stuff..  I kept a while set of linear gauges, dies and taps, + good quality tools from braces to 4’ clamps…that are 20x too big for the boats I’m interested in, but I have something.  I think the Uk engineer fraternity has always been there, the history of the Uk in the area means that so many children followed their parents into industry and it was the norm.  Nowadays you need a computer not a set of feeler gauges to service your car, and that link is being lost.  

sorry bit mellow this afternoon…..

11 hours ago, Justin P. said:

Made my night…

Yea making a video of making a toothpick is tad silly. 😬 I wish they had used a more serious subject because the mini tools are excellent tools, perfect for tapering ships planking,  square an edge, or even thinning a plank. And I have used them on 1:1 stuff where the full size tools are too big for the task. 

12 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

A woodworking bench vise of that size is a severely limited tool when it comes to versatility.

That depends on what you are using it for. I have a full size wood vice (two in fact) on my Sjoberg Hobby Bench which I use a lot. And I have used vices similar  to the one posted. But when it comes to clamping the size wood we use for our model ships, I find both woefully inadequate or plain over kill. And I have tried several of the keel clamps for holding the model which I quickly discarded as more of a PITA than useful.

I have a decent selection of Veritas and Lie Nielson planes for 1:1 work.  As for metal bending, the "metal" I need to bend is PE brass and "the Bug" from The Small Shop does an excellent job for me.

17 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I wish they would publish the plans for the table in this Video

Is this the bench?

image.png.361d8e28996e095a256c6ced3f8f831d.png

Veritas Woodworking Project Plans

Veritas Workbench System Plan

£9.90 (£11.88 incl VAT)

These are available from Canadian Tools, Chronos Ltd uk

image.png.1bac5433545297ff2598e4ec4571d950.png

Veritas Woodworking Project Plans

Veritas Traditional Bench Plan

£8.80 (£10.56 incl VAT)

although there may be a delay in getting them due to supply issues because of COVID19 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

No, that's the full size one. I want the miniature table top bench as shown below. It's perfect size for small stuff and it accepts the mini vice. 

2032293741_Screenshot_20210320-084124_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.ff6e24c7d7904dd9083548df171817dc.jpgm