I have adopted another orphaned kit

I was able to spend a few hours working on the Nordkap today and have the super structure of the deck housing installed as well as a few other odds and ends. The entire super structure is removeable to allow access to the motor bay in the hull as well as the rudder. You will have to esxcuse the messy work area, that is my process.DSC01526.thumb.JPG.b4c9e3e28ceae0010ef8e81edd749f38.JPG

DSC01525.JPG

DSC01524.JPG

Edited by mtdoramike

I would like to point out that even though the hardware/fittings package cost an additional $200.00, it did include several upgraded parts such and plastic hatch covers, doors, brackets, which or crane parts. All of those in the original kit would have to be cut out and made of wood, which looked awful.

she looks great Mike!  you've come quite a long way with her :)   so true........these old kits are not laser cut,  which makes life a bit more challenging.  the fitting kit does have the upgrades,  but there were a few things that I wasn't crazy about.  in the original fitting kit,  the anchor winch and the net winch were made of metal ....in the new fitting kit,  the main bodies are laser cut wood parts.   the boat crane is plastic,  but it wasn't part of the original kit.  I cut the parts out and assembled it.......later getting the idea to motorize it.  the kit I got to build the Progress is an older kit.....the parts panels and the planking is mahogany.  I used basswood and Obechi,  and save the mahogany planking for future use {a sailing ship perhaps}.  I also fancied the idea to elongate the hull and build this vessel:

NORDEPICBM.jpg.b1a522dc445962da69ae0792ba2d7efc.jpg

the stern came out really nice.......I had a heck of a time with mine.  the outer panel  broke and I had to repair it.   superb job all the way around......very nice choice of paint! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks guys, I really had to practice my solder skills or the lack there of before doing the railings. I started out making a jig, and make the railings laid out on my work bench. Short story long, that was a couple of hours and materials wasted. I found the easiest and most efficient way was to just build them on the model. You know what they say about hind sight. Now to clean all that flux off the railings before painting them white.     

Thanks CD, blue is my favorite color, plus I had some left over from a previous build. I was able to spend a few hours on the Nordkap/Breeze yesterday and got the railings all cleaned up and painted, hand crane built and installed as well as several other fittings.  

DSC01537.JPG

DSC01538.JPG

DSC01539.JPG

DSC01540.JPG

I also fashioned the smoke stack, painted it black and installed it. Now Billings supplies a chunk of balsa wood that is kind of in the shape of the stack, you just have to sand it down in order to get the final shape. I used what came in the kit, but if I did it over, I would use 3 to 4 pieces of white pine or similar wood stacked together, which takes sanding better and gives a better finish in the end.   

And yes I know, my work bench is a mess, but to me it's an organized mess at least that is what I keep telling my wife every time she brings up "How can you work like that, how can you find anything?"

Edited by mtdoramike

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to refigure the top rigging line where the squiggly line is on the plan because where it terminates will not work for RC operation. The rear post termination point is removable as is the entire cabin area to gain access to the interior compartment.  

DSC01545.JPG

Mike, she came out nice for an abandoned child. Really well done. 

Very nice work, Mike!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I hope the previous owner is looking down on the model from heaven with a huge smile on his face on finally see it become the finished model he had hoped it could be and be very pleased. I tried not to think about it when I was finishing it, but now that she's pretty much complete, it brings a tear to my eye now that I'm thinking about it and knowing that this will be me one day looking down or up what ever the case may be hahahaha with a bit of admiration for the person who finishes my unfinished projects. 

Edited by mtdoramike

I'm sure he's smiling at the wonderful job you done to finish this model in fine fashion, Mike, and there will be a place at the ship modeling table for you along with the rest of us when the time comes. Until then, keep up the good work!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

That's really nicely done Mike.  Love the colors you used.  I'm sure the prior owner is looking down with a big smile of satisfaction. 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

she looks awesome Mike!  I enjoyed shaping the funnel for mine...took my belt sander,  laid it upside down in a milk crate,  and had at it :)   blue seems to be the fitting color for this model....I used a grabber blue.  you really did a nice job!  the base is sweet! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Mike and Popeye, I did the same, I flipped my belt sander upside down on my outside work bench and went to work on it. The kit supplied a balsa block, which I relunctantly used. But if I did it over, I would have glued together some pine or similar wood blocks, it would give a nicer finish. I skim coated the balsa smoke stack with auto bondo and sanded it smooth to get a better finish.

I have a chance to do another for the Progress.  once I shaped the one for the Nordkap,  I sealed it and then did the finish sanding.   I did the hawse holes for the anchors like I did for the Nordkap,  but I'm thinking of changing it to a more oval look.  I see you left the boat crane as a manual crank.  this was the first wood kit I ever built,  and being uncut forced me to learn scratch early.  I assembled the one that came with the kit and the one from the fitting kit........I may use them both.  I'm also playing with the idea of a fore deck,  which will deviate from the pictures I have of the Progress.  your probably wondering.......the Progress kit was produced around the same time as the Nordkap kit.......it is basically a clone of the Nordkap kit.  there were two kits,  the full size Progress and a Junior kit.  another kit that was produced in this fashion was the Wavney class life boat...

508051.jpg

s-l400.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Maybe it will be like this for us someday, Mike!

1911870714_ScreenShot2022-02-23at2_44_57PM.png.bf8ceb40347203cc579bae70e358c872.png

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: