I have adopted another orphaned kit

A Billings Nordkap R/C finishing boat. A ladies husband recently passed away while working on this kit. I was asked if I would accept it and finish it, which I humbly agreed to do. I was not only humbled, but honored that I would be asked to do so. I will strive to make his vision for this model a reality and make her all se can be.

I have several projects going, but couldn't say no, nor did I want to.  

0A7C46DD-576B-47EF-93F8-25802D5415EB.jpeg

Edited by mtdoramike

Another fine model rescued! It looks like the previous builder got a nice start on her. It’s very kind of you to finish this one for his wife. Good luck, Mike. I’m sure your do this project proud. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

That looks very sharp, Mike!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Mike, since this seems to be a build log, I suggest we move it to the kit area as this isn't the place for builds.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It appears all of the super structures have been built. The hull requires some light sanding and then it should be ready to lay fiberglass cloth to seal it. Now for the not so good news. This is an older Billings kit and for anyone who doesn';t know, older Billings kit did nor does include the fittings packages, which were sold separately. This kit did not include the fittings package. Now, finding a fittings package is like finding hens teeth, nothing on Ebay, which is my go to source for hard to finds things. Ages Of Sail, offers the fittings package, but are out of stock. So this leaves me with a few options which are overseas one of which is Cornwall models. The cost of the fittinds package alone makes you say your kidding at $174.00 that ain't shipped folks and with the supply chain, getting it here might be the bigger issue of the two. To give you an example, if I were to buy the fittings separately, the two brass anchor trawling line winches are $100.00 for the two.   

Mike, did you see this one? I checked my area Craigslist and Marketplace, nada. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383633084709?hash=item5952505125:g:cJEAAOSw~U1fDk8T

Mike, both are 1:50 and the 401 has the winches. I searched everywhere and this is the only thing that even came close to the 476. 

Edited by Keith Black

I'll leave it here for now, Mike.  Sounds like the fittings are going to be a problem.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I checked every where and the only place that had the Nordkap fittings package was Cornwall models in England. I was able to get the only fitting kit they had although having to bite the bullit for $192.00 minus the currency conversion rate. But it is what it is. Billings has some on order, but with the supply chain going the way it is, they have no idea when they will get them.  

Edited by mtdoramike

One of the first things I will have to do on the Nordkap is surgically remove the decking from midship to the stem post in order to seal the interior of the hull, which the previous builder didn't do. He may have been shooting for a static display versus R/C operation, but I'm going full R/C. 

Color me shocked! I received the Billings Fittings package for the Nordkap this afternoon, that was roughly a week to receive it from England. Here is what $200.00 worth of boat fittings looks like. But if it saves me time, it saves me money because to me, time is money. 

DSC01439.JPG

DSC01440.JPG

DSC01441.JPG

DSC01443.JPG

She has been glassed up with the first of many coats of resin. This is what the old girl actually looks like under all that soon to be rouge, lip stick and eye liner and all the rest of that war paint to really purdify her up. I love this stage of the build because it's like what the hell have I done to such a nice hull. 

DSC01445.JPG

DSC01444.JPG

even as an older kit,  it's still a very nice model :)   I built mine some time ago........an older kit that was given to me by a gent who had it in his attic for about 30 years.  older kits did sell with the fittings separate in the event that the model was never completed {the wood half went for around $150.00}.

he had the fittings and couldn't find them.......in the meantime before he found them,  I had cobbled together the fittings with the help of Tom @ BB USA.  in the end I had two sets of fittings.  since a couple of years ago,  BB USA {which is now part of Ages of Sail - Product Catalog } the fitting are now available for the Nordkap,  the Mary Ann,  and other kits that were never available before.  I wanted to build a newer kit....the laser cut experience was a huge draw.....so the admiral got me another for Christmas.  little did she know,  she had bought me another of the older kits :D   that was alright though, because when I researching about the Nordkap kit,  I happened onto a clone of this model,  the Progress.  I have pictures of the finished model......and not long ago,  I actually found one of the diagram sheets online.  I have a log on her here somewhere........I really need to get back to her.  

I should have sealed the Nordkap the way you did....would have saved me from the headaches I had painting the hull.  my only excuse is that it was my first wood boat model,  even though the Cux 87 turned out to be my first finished wooden ship.  it's too bad that my log is gone....lost in the big crash some years ago.  the printed wooden deck platform showed the margins....I made those from scratch and I planked the deck.  I did do a blog on her...if your interested I can give you the link,  should have problems.  an accomplished modeler like yourself should have no troubles though ;) 

enjoy the ride.........I certainly did! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

the fitting kit you purchased is the new release of the kit.......the original kit had all metal winches.....even the pulleys were metal.  those can be found at Cornwall Model Boats.  the metal winches can be sourced,  but they do cost a bit ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

the fitting kit you purchased is the new release of the kit.......the original kit had all metal winches.....even the pulleys were metal.  those can be found at Cornwall Model Boats.  the metal winches can be sourced,  but they do cost a bit ;) 

Yeah, I found them at Model Expo for another $100.00. But after spending $200.00 on these after market fittings package, I will leave that up to the new owner whether or not they want to up grade. But it wouldn't be financially feasable for me to do it because I'm basically a flipper and I have to look at the bottom line as to what I can get for the finished product.

Edited by mtdoramike

10 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

even as an older kit,  it's still a very nice model :)   I built mine some time ago........an older kit that was given to me by a gent who had it in his attic for about 30 years.  older kits did sell with the fittings separate in the event that the model was never completed {the wood half went for around $150.00}.

he had the fittings and couldn't find them.......in the meantime before he found them,  I had cobbled together the fittings with the help of Tom @ BB USA.  in the end I had two sets of fittings.  since a couple of years ago,  BB USA {which is now part of Ages of Sail - Product Catalog } the fitting are now available for the Nordkap,  the Mary Ann,  and other kits that were never available before.  I wanted to build a newer kit....the laser cut experience was a huge draw.....so the admiral got me another for Christmas.  little did she know,  she had bought me another of the older kits :D   that was alright though, because when I researching about the Nordkap kit,  I happened onto a clone of this model,  the Progress.  I have pictures of the finished model......and not long ago,  I actually found one of the diagram sheets online.  I have a log on her here somewhere........I really need to get back to her.  

I should have sealed the Nordkap the way you did....would have saved me from the headaches I had painting the hull.  my only excuse is that it was my first wood boat model,  even though the Cux 87 turned out to be my first finished wooden ship.  it's too bad that my log is gone....lost in the big crash some years ago.  the printed wooden deck platform showed the margins....I made those from scratch and I planked the deck.  I did do a blog on her...if your interested I can give you the link,  should have problems.  an accomplished modeler like yourself should have no troubles though ;) 

enjoy the ride.........I certainly did! :) 

Popeye, I tried Ages of Sail and although they do carry the fittings kit for the Kap, they were out and had been for some time and not sure when they would get any in. This model really needs to be converted to R/C operation, I saw one in action some years ago and it looked magnificent puttering around a local lake. I will PM you, I would love to see the blog.

It's bondo filler. I lay down a coat of resin on the hull before I lay down the cloth to insure that it is "wetted" properly. This is after I smooth and fare out the hull. I then sand the hull with 80 grit sand paper to give the hull a bit of tooth for the cloth and resin. Then I sand between each coat with 180 grit sand paper and normally apply three coats of resin. When finished you could almost drop this hull off a two story building.  

Edited by mtdoramike

I did my Dumas PT boat hull with resin,  but I left out the cloth.  I always seem to get the cloth texture showing through.  this is one thing I wish I would have done with my Nordie.......didn't know about it at the time.  you probably saw the results of my initial paint job ;)   I freaked out!  what I did was sand the hull down and give it multiple coats of diluted white glue.  that sealed up all the cracks.  I was new at it......didn't know that one needed to cement between the planks..  the second kit I have is going to be the progress.  the research I came up with,  is that this model was offered along with the Nordkap.......it is a clone.  there is also a 'junior' kit that was sold around the same time.   look'in forward in seeing more :) 

glad you like the blogs.....hope they come in handy.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

When doing plank on frame I usually glue the plank edge as well as the frame, which helps give a more solid hull. But if it's intended to be R/C and the hull painted, I use Bondo auto body filler, which is water proof to fill any cracks as well as any holes or divits in the hull. I also use Famowood whidch is a wood filler (you can see small splotches of it in the hull which is redish brown (mahogany shade) it's also water proof. Now if you see the fiberglass cloth showing through the resin, this happens with a heavier weight cloth. This is the reason I maily use 1 1/2oz to 2oz cloth especially if it will not be painted. But if I'm painting the hull, I will use up to a 4oz cloth.      

• 1 month later...