P-51 B/C by Egilman - FINISHED - Revell - 1/32nd scale - Rub n Buff finish test build; Experiment Completed

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

That looks excellent  brother.

OC.

39 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Looks great from here, Egilman.

Thank you OC & Mark, I think I'll run with it... Of course something just had to happen.. Remember those weak landing gears? Well, the tail wheel broke off when I sat it on it's landing gear test fitting the wing....

So I has to repair it with a piece of wire...

IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.880a3840d83d108c7c2bcc3f5c9852e3.JPG

Superglued in place awaiting a touch of the paint brush.... you can see the broken leg where I had to cut it off cleanly...  .035 thousandths of an inch is the diameter of the plastic leg, it's now /.040 brass wire...

Will be doing some decaling tonight as soon as the touch ups are done... Going to deal with the canopy last... seems like where it want's to reside in the big scheme of things...

I'm happy, could have been better, but could also have been a LOT worse...

Onwards...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Good looking metalwork EG. If you can do it with the rivets in the way.... 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

It replicates well the clad aluminium tone and the reflectivity is also good. A non-polished/buffed cladded aluminium panel appears to have that kind of reflectivity. It will look even better when all those rivets are not around and you have proper panel lines moulded on the surface. I guess the Future layer offers also a protection against handling. I wonder if Future allows the use of panel line accent inks too.

Good progress,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

On 3/12/2022 at 10:29 PM, Edwardkenway said:

Good looking metalwork EG. If you can do it with the rivets in the way.... 😉

Thanks my friend,

I believe it looks good Ed, even if the rivets gave me a fit... {chuckle}

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

23 hours ago, Danstream said:

It replicates well the clad aluminium tone and the reflectivity is also good. A non-polished/buffed cladded aluminium panel appears to have that kind of reflectivity. It will look even better when all those rivets are not around and you have proper panel lines moulded on the surface. I guess the Future layer offers also a protection against handling. I wonder if Future allows the use of panel line accent inks too.

Good progress,

Dan

Well when I first saw this on a model that's exactly what I thought Dan... a non polished aluminum working surface, semi reflective and a little washed out... I think with a flat panel recessed lines model you can actually bring out a bit more shine... Future really doesn't effect the metallic finish either, but I will say this, mine I wet brushed, put down a wet coat and allowed it to dry, it allows you to handle it somewhat, but prolonged handling will cause it to wear off just like paint on the sharp edges... It does allow good decal application and I do believe you can weather over it... Personally, I'm going to do another wet coat after the decals are finished just to seal them in as well...

Thank Dan, trying not to do a quickie job and make it at least presentable...

Quote:

17 hours ago, Javlin said:

looks like it would lend itself well to panel line a/c EG got any bookmarks on the fella from France I think you mentioned?;)

I think it would Jav, just the fact you can seal it with Future is the ticket...

According to Paul Coudyrette, decals will go down right over it, But you need to seal it to weather it...  Me, I'm putting a coat of future on it before decaling, just to be on the safe side... Since future is one of the products used to seal paint for washes I believe it would be fine to weather over it... I will say this, I think it is a lot easier than setting up an airbrush for several varying coats that may or may not come out right... (and most of the time still look like a coat of paint)

Paul Coudyrette did most of his posting on a french website... http://fighters.forumactif.com/ Like MSW is to ships? Fighters is to airplanes, I seen him post on several others as well but that was his primary home...

Here I posted the most complete post he made on his method translated from french... (post #7 in this log) The rest I learned from reading his posts, he would usually drop a tidbit here or there on various postings about stuff he did to get certain effects... Viewing his work, he could have taught everyone a lot about building models...

Take a wander over there, there are some master aircraft modelers there... (but don't forget to come back home {chuckle} we would miss you)

Quote:

Ok minor update...

Partway thru decaling this bird...

Normal light...

IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.7a71470c4002442667395f04af3bd05e.JPG

High flash...

IMG_0061.thumb.JPG.b0aa6889fa1b89a8d534473e3c78d611.JPG

Seems like I got the fuselage invasion stripes a bit too wide and hence extending too far astern... Oh well too late to change it now...

Steady progress, gonna get this one finished then go back to Bluejay 4....

Onwards..

Quote:

Minor update...

Fuselage decaling done.....

IMG_0062.thumb.JPG.cf335f9e6590b4c9fad9f64fd0ccc497.JPGIMG_0063.thumb.JPG.977b3f9c988d121b86e19920675847a3.JPG

Working on finishing the wings now, Then a final once over for missing stuff...

Finish coming soon now...

EG

Quote:

EG, the finish is coming along, despite the coarse riveting lines on the model. The Starfighter will look even better, brother.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I too like the R&B finish EG.  Much more authentic looking than straight up silver paint.  Good save on the landing gear too.

Gary

Edited by FriedClams
sphelling

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Nothing wrong with that brother  very nice

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

18 hours ago, Canute said:

EG, the finish is coming along, despite the coarse riveting lines on the model. The Starfighter will look even better, brother.

Thanks my friend...

Yep the riveting was an issue, nothing like a Himalaya's worth of peaks to prevent a smooth coat... but we got it done, I couldn't apply it with a smooth circular pattern, I had to go with the rivet lines and cross them to get in between them... A lot more work... The mostly smooth skin to the Starfighter should take this beautifully...

Quote:

12 hours ago, FriedClams said:

I too like the R&B finish EG.  Much more authentic looking than straight up silver paint.  Good save on the landing gear too.

Gary

Thanks Gary

I think so as well, and am about to do an 18 pic closeup update under high camera flash to show what I mean... It looks real and in scale... (scale being the part paint and foil can't replicate in a typical BMF)

Quote:

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Nothing wrong with that brother  very nice

OC

Thank you very much brother, after the next photo update we will see if everyone sees the same thing I was seeing... It's kinda difficult to describe with words...

Quote:

Update:

As far as completeness, all that is left is to glue on the propeller and canopy....

This is a series of shots under natural light and heavy flash that will hopefully show what I was driving at as far as this finish surpassing anything I've ever seen done before...

Aluminum when new has a reflectiveness, but it is muted by the whitish grey pasty oxidation that is always present on bare aluminum... Aluminum can be polished into a mirror but for working warplanes, this is seldom done so we are stuck trying to replicate that innate reflectiveness and dulling oxidation that such materials represent... We can paint aluminum and put a gloss coat on top of it and get a reflection from the gloss surface, but the surface has no reflection at all... You are going to see that here...

Overall status now in natural light....

IMG_0065.thumb.JPG.9a3bb22b8a54c650f8639db89735fdb6.JPGIMG_0066.thumb.JPG.c7f65f5959898b01883ab464d5de4791.JPG

In these shots you get muted hints...

Overall status in heavy flash...

IMG_0064.thumb.JPG.7acbe56e1282835a6f6fbd151f560a12.JPGIMG_0067.thumb.JPG.b9d35d3ec114c2fbeb03c8c6cc7056eb.JPG

Your beginning to see the olive drab color reflection in the fuselage sides and the green surface on the underside of the fuselage... You can clearly see the fuselage reflection in the wings from the gloss coat...

Closeups... (under heavy flash)

IMG_0068.thumb.JPG.4ca25a94501a7d1667a1b4be07a8d368.JPG

IMG_0069.thumb.JPG.c7bfeefa8a8d6ecaf4de73bd0d0f96be.JPG

IMG_0070.thumb.JPG.75458804a2e25dd88dea2349f30cc2b8.JPGIMG_0072.thumb.JPG.897988bdf0ebcc4475470bf4d03a4e6d.JPGIMG_0073.thumb.JPG.25e248082c02eff298a5aef2a4f46baf.JPGIMG_0074.thumb.JPG.339024b9d0592e1670283e7930cbcd86.JPGIMG_0075.thumb.JPG.ed7c0dfd3294e2e7d2ec70e9397f2fce.JPGIMG_0076.thumb.JPG.bd28580dedbb10c94d7b3581ca35e6d6.JPG

On this one I'm going to point something out... Notice the red reflection on the olive drab wing? then look along the wing to the fuselage side.... the first square vertical panel back from the leading wing root? That's a reflection of a reflection... You see a diffuse secondary red reflection of the red reflection coming off the gloss surface of the wing from the red name label on the nose... Note the reflection between the E and the 9.....

THAT's the reflection I'm talking about, REAL aluminum sheet does that, PAINTED aluminum does not...

IMG_0077.thumb.JPG.b10163e945f61ddb59f50f27b118bc1d.JPGIMG_0078.thumb.JPG.f404dc7da3d2ff8e17897820ed9fd6d7.JPGIMG_0079.thumb.JPG.ec899b9b4d00dfcf360ceba2696681c8.JPG

And two final shots under natural light...

IMG_0080.thumb.JPG.9d1eae5485a164167f10cd2cfb0c8f02.JPGIMG_0081.thumb.JPG.c1d4bcc7ad36616b16e4183b25fdc6a3.JPG

Ok you see the red tint behind the exhaust and above the name label? that is my red shirt from two feet away... Look between the E and the 9 (on the fuselage side) in the lower half you see the warning strips from the wing flap reflected... Look at the tail in front of the 2 of the registration number... You see the reflection of the olive drab horizontal stabilizer...

That is what I was seeing on Paul's airplanes and what I was seeing on real BMF non-polished airplanes... Can't get any more scale that that in my humble opinion...

I'm going to call this one finished at this point, I'm sure you all know how to glue up multipart canopies so there is no need to illustrate that... I will post a couple of finish shots in a few days, real life is coming on hard at the moment and the next few days are going to be hectic...

Thanks for following this experiment in BMF and I hope you all don't think I'm crazy....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

18 minutes ago, shipman said:

Was this the kit issued as 'Shangri-la' I built as a kid?

Possibly, I remember it in 1/48th along with Ding Hao! (Major James Howards P-51B)

Revell did the 'Shangri La' in all three scales....

H295 1/32 P-51B Mustang, Don Gentiles P-51B is certainly a possibility....

In fact pretty much all the manufacturers at one time or another did Capt. Gentile's P-51...

Quote:

Excellent work.  It probably looks even better in person.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You're getting a really nice reflectivity on the nose section, somewhat better than the  other two areas you point out. The nose looks the shiniest of the 3 panels, but then it could easily be due the orientation of the individual panels, like on the real thing. We're not talking one billet of aluminum for the entire surface, but multiple panels with varying orientations. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I think the experiment can be declared successfully concluded.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Nice proof of technique EG!  I used to work for a beverage can manufacturer, and we would go through miles of coiled aluminum stock every day.  The material has a visible grain and it refracts light in a way that's hard to describe and differs depending on light angle.  Sometime glaringly bright and other times soft and milky like a dirty old mirror.  It looks like this technique captures that.

Gary  

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I'm away for a couple of weeks and Egilman turns out a stunner.  Nice job!!  Great work with that reflective finish, wow!

If you don't mind, and forgive me if I missed it when reading your blog, but what paints did you use for the aluminum color?  And for the aluminum fuselage versus aluminum painted bottom of the wings, did you use the same paint/color, and just buff out the one on the fuselage to make them different?  Or did you use different colors?  Alclad for example has a ton of aluminum finishes.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 3/15/2022 at 12:03 PM, mtaylor said:

Excellent work.  It probably looks even better in person.

Thanks Mark, the pics don't really do it justice is all I'm going to say, the effect on this is stunning to say the least... I might need another experiment on a smooth bird before I go forth with Bluejay 4, that's the one I don't want no issues with.... (going to be center stage in my case) I want to be sure before I rely on it...

Quote:

On 3/15/2022 at 2:21 PM, Canute said:

You're getting a really nice reflectivity on the nose section, somewhat better than the  other two areas you point out. The nose looks the shiniest of the 3 panels, but then it could easily be due the orientation of the individual panels, like on the real thing. We're not talking one billet of aluminum for the entire surface, but multiple panels with varying orientations. 👍

Thanks Ken,

The differences in sheen are what you would expect with RnB when you have a smooth surface from a rough one... The nose has long panels which allows you to rub it more than the after sections... The effect works for a riveted skin cause if the differences not in spite of it... The noses of P-51's were usually shinier than the rest of the fuselage anyways, that is where the most handling was done and hence the most cleaning... I didn't plan for it that way, it just happened... (a bonus in this application if you ask me)

Quote:

On 3/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, Danstream said:

I think the experiment can be declared successfully concluded.

Dan

I think so Dan, 

I think it came out a lot better than I expected it to for the type of surface I put it on.... Final pics coming in a few... Thank you...

Quote:

13 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Nice proof of technique EG!  I used to work for a beverage can manufacturer, and we would go through miles of coiled aluminum stock every day.  The material has a visible grain and it refracts light in a way that's hard to describe and differs depending on light angle.  Sometime glaringly bright and other times soft and milky like a dirty old mirror.  It looks like this technique captures that.

Gary  

THANKS Gary!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only person that sees it!  I tried to get pics that highlighted this exact effect which is what got me excited about it in the first place... And, when exposed to the weather and starts oxidizing, the gran of the sheet oxidizes at different rates making the effect splotchy, which is one of the very hard effects of real life aluminum sheet to model... This stuff duplicates it with ease... You have to see it in real life to get the full effect...

In my humble opinion I've found my realistic BMF finish... And the best thing, it's a LOT easier that anyone would think... (and FAST as well) I need to test this on a smooth surface airplane model A more modern kit... (an F-86, or F-84, which when originally used weren't painted when in BMF, no aluminum paint {chuckle})

Quote:

7 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I'm away for a couple of weeks and Egilman turns out a stunner.  Nice job!!  Great work with that reflective finish, wow!

If you don't mind, and forgive me if I missed it when reading your blog, but what paints did you use for the aluminum color?  And for the aluminum fuselage versus aluminum painted bottom of the wings, did you use the same paint/color, and just buff out the one on the fuselage to make them different?  Or did you use different colors?  Alclad for example has a ton of aluminum finishes.

I certainly appreciate that Mike...  Thank you...

But unfortunately this one is a hack job, a cheap test to see if I could get a decent BMF on a plastic model... For this the himalayan mountains sized rivets all over this thing actually served to show what is possible when I thought at first is was going to ruin the experiment...

The wing is painted Testors Aluminum Plate rattlecan over Tamiya Fine Grey Primer rattlecan, then overcoated with Testors wet look automotive gloss rattlecan

The upper surfaces of the wings and horizontal stabilizers is Testors Olive Drab rattlecan paint in the same manner as the bottom surfaces substituting OD for the AP

The Fuselage and vertical surfaces are Rub n Buff, rubbed on very lightly with a rubber gloved finger, a very small amount is critical, too much and it doesn't buff up... It went over Tamiya Fine Grey Primer rattlecan the same as the wings, which was then wet coated with future before the Rub n Buff was applied...  Once the Rub N Buff was applied, it was then wet coated in Future again to protect the surface and give you something to decal on... Details were painted as normal...

The secret is using very thin coats the thinner the better as long as you have complete smooth coverage...

And that is it....

No massive surface prep, no mixing paints, no non-curing lacquer primer coats, no multiple airbrush coatings.. All by hand in the simplest manner possible...

You might want to check out my Rub N Buff testing in the Blue Jay 4 article it where I try to show what is possible...

I still need to get it out in the sun for a good natural light look at it, but I think it will be fine...

This stuff is simply amazing on what it can do.... (and it's been around for over 60 years) amazing that very few have tried it and experimented with it... In my opinion, it beats everything else hands down for a scale, direct application, BMF finish...

I believe I'm going to do a full aluminum modern model bird to see what it will really do, I understand that it can be tinted to produce some spectacular effects...

As much as I want to finish Blue Jay 4, I want to know what I'm doing with this first...

Quote:

On 3/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, Javlin said:

OH No No No!!!You don't get off that easy EG I want real pics with canopy in place and all.:D

Ok Jav, Just to let you know I really mucked up the canopy, that liquid cement, aluminum paint, glue fingerprint thing... So I'm going to show the best side if it and call it done...

High flash on a white base....

IMG_0083.thumb.JPG.4791e3b904cc9aef1099c8f750760fc6.JPGIMG_0084.thumb.JPG.60ab37ed164c79b1351d4a03a1be2b69.JPGIMG_0085.thumb.JPG.afa2daff3e05c8eaa6f4083e553d0069.JPGIMG_0086.thumb.JPG.4fa0caf41c17aa6fb243ecb938bd220f.JPG

And one in natural light....

IMG_0082.thumb.JPG.c13fbdc729b9f90af622725f11e90b30.JPG

I already have acquired a Tamiya P-51D to do a display bird in this finish, I won't have to deal with the rivets anymore...

I think it came out ok for what it is, my first decent BMF...

EG

Quote: