Hi all, I have come to the decision to sell my collection of approximately 800 naval and maritime , ship construction books.

These I have built up over 45 years,  a few date from the early 1880, some earlier, then through the years to some modern ones.

I will only sell the  whole collection, I will not split.

If anyone is interested I can send, email a list.

Regards Phil

Hello Phil,

May I suggest you let us know where you are based?

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi, I am just at the moment seeing if there is interest in the whole collection, as you can imagine there is to many to keep typing out, so I would put a list together to send out.

I have posted on another site as well.

Regards Phil

How the hell do you ship an 800 volume book collection.  It would cost a fortune.  Yes indeed it sounds a bit sketchy.  Doesnt make sense.   

unless someone lives within driving distance this is just not a very good idea.  Especially sight unseen.  Take some pictures maybe.

I have this bridge….not that one…its a smaller bridge.  But its for sale and only in its entirety.  Buyer must make arrangements for delivery.

Hi, Phil.

If it sounds like folks are reacting a bit harshly, take time to consider what it looks like from a potential buyer's perspective. You're offering a large number of books while giving very little information about them -- no titles, no photos, no estimated value, no asking price. As has been said, shipping such a large number of books as a single lot would be an expensive proposition in itself. If you absolutely won't consider selling your collection in smaller lots, you may be facing a very tough sell.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hmm... might be better off to find a used book dealer in your area, Phil.  Or a library to donate them to.  Or maybe a combo... have the book dealer come in and see what they want then donate the rest.  Not sure about Blighty but on this side of the pond, donations to libraries are tax deductible.  Thus, you make a some quid by selling some and save on taxes by donating.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And, can probably Google it all. I can’t imagine buying 800 books at any price, what would I do with them. Good luck not being willing to break up the collection. 

The best option is donating to a library, but finding one that would take that many books would be a chore. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

There is a sort of Catch 22 involved.

Anyone interested would already have their own library. Buying duplicates, especially at near retail?

A beginner?,  not unless they are foolishly rich.

Books of the sort in question are not an investment.

When my number comes up, I figure that a bequest that my library is kept as a whole will also require a substantial trust be included to maintain it as such. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

20 minutes ago, Jaager said:

Anyone interested would already have their own library. Buying duplicates, especially at near retail?

A beginner?,  not unless they are foolishly rich.

Books of the sort in question are not an investment.

My thoughts exactly. Looking for a unicorn buyer. It's possible a modeling club could be interested, as a way to maintain a lending library, but it'd have to be a pretty substantial club.