Martin B-26B Marauder by CDW - FINISHED - Airfix - 1:72 Scale

Yep, typical '70's-'80's Airfix... The Japanese companies were the only ones doing individual sprue bagging back then....

Known as a widow maker in it's early years it has a rather high landing speed cause the wings were too short, they liked to stall when flared for landing... By the time the "C" model came along they fixed the wing issues and it became one of the hottest medium bombers flown during the war... 

I'm in on this one...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I’m in, that’s a recent re-boxing of the old 1970s mould. Airfix’s new moulds are good but they still have the cheek to re-box the old stuff and call them Classic Vintage, or something like that! 🤣

From memory the B-26 was quite detailed for its time; with internal bomb bay details. But not sure how the “fit” will be. Plus it has “raised” surface details and may be covered in rivets big enough to grace an ironclad battleship!  
Looking forward to seeing how my memory matches to the reality nearly 40 years later! 🫣

Hope you don't mind, I have dug out some old Airfix Catalogues (all from my main model making years as kid) and looked up some of the original blurb on your B-26 kit.

Released in 1973 - gosh, that mould will be 50 soon!  It was heralded as being a kit with "new levels of detail"; in their 16th Edition catalogue (1979) they were inviting readers to spot the kit from the real thing! 😆 - Now there's bravado for you! 

Sorry for butting in, lets see how my Rose tinted glasses 👓 fair up against your 2022 build of her, pulling up a chair... 🍿

Airfix1.JPG

Airfix2.JPG

Airfix3.JPG

Boy, that's a flashback. Another nickname it acquired was the "Flying Doxie", no visible means of support, thanks to the early small wing. I'm in, too. I suspect you may need some additional clamps and CA to coerce the recalcitrant parts into position. 😉

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

10 hours ago, CDW said:

It’s taking up shelf space as it is and it needs to either transform into a shelf model or ho into the garbage bin. You will help me decide her fate.

I vote for shelf model.  If anyone can turn a dog into a beauty, it's you 😀  Looking forward to this one!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I think I’ll choose The Big Hairy Bird option as for one, Flak Bait is most often modeled, and two, my choice has the best looking paint scheme IMO. It will be a bit tricky as there are a lot of little sink marks to clean up and silver will show up every imperfection.

The X marks are sinks that need to be filled. The horizontal black lines down the center of the dorsal and ventral parts of the fuselage are steps created from misplaced locator pins. We can fix all that I believe. I need to decide whether to scribe the raised panel lines as the raised lines will be obliterated while cleaning up the sink marks.

Yhe clear parts were bagged separately, but the nose glass still managed to have a nasty scratch.

9DABD738-1737-420A-AF80-0E00BE256E24.jpeg

F37B117A-C9A4-4811-96B6-AE8C0112A074.jpeg

AF528E32-4EFA-4A14-9806-9F788A9BEA2A.jpeg

5184269D-12D3-481F-B09D-A28339CA54C1.jpeg

A4402B8D-FE29-489E-AB12-A4DAB3E0E2E7.jpeg

I'm in also,   those  happy days of 1970's  Airfix kits   and those  glorious  Airfix magazines  - happy days.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, CDW said:

It will be a bit tricky as there are a lot of little sink marks to clean up and silver will show up every imperfection.

The X marks are sinks that need to be filled. The horizontal black lines down the center of the dorsal and ventral parts of the fuselage are steps created from misplaced locator pins. We can fix all that I believe. I need to decide whether to scribe the raised panel lines as the raised lines will be obliterated while cleaning up the sink marks.

Yhe clear parts were bagged separately, but the nose glass still managed to have a nasty scratch.

Now this brings back memories, yeah most of us learned to do our modeling with such kits so there is nothing that a bit of skilled technique and patience will not fix...

I'm sure you learned your share brother long before the internet started spreading the newer more refined techniques and materials... Old school is still useful in modeling and sometimes is still the only way...

I'm confident you will make her into something to be proud of.... (and we will learn a lot in the process)

EG

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

45 minutes ago, CDW said:

What was the price of this kit in the 70's. Do you recall?

In my neck of the woods, not over 3.00.... and usually from the neighborhood 5 & Dime down on the corner....

Quote:

I would say similar  to EG,  in the UK  possibly around £1.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

37 minutes ago, Egilman said:

In my neck of the woods, not over 3.00.... and usually from the neighborhood 5 & Dime down on the corner....

3 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I would say similar  to EG,  in the UK  possibly around £1.

OC.

In the early 70’s, it was common to pay between 2 or 3 dollars for a kit like this. In the late 70’s, probably closer to 3  or 4 dollars as I recall. 

9 minutes ago, CDW said:

A dry fit of the bomb bay and wheel well bulkhead assemblies into the fuselage looks okay. At this time, I don’t want to leave the bomb bay doors opened. After I dry fit them closed, I may change my mind if they don’t fit well.

494E3087-4433-418B-A1A0-11B37F5B238F.jpeg

That detail looks quite nice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Most definitely, we learned many techniques on these kits, back in the day.

Would a dunking in Future/Pledge/What-ever-they call it today help that scrape on the bombardier's window?

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

54 minutes ago, Canute said:

Would a dunking in Future/Pledge/What-ever-they call it today help that scrape on the bombardier's window?

Absolutely, if there is a raised edge to the scrape polish it off smooth and future takes care of the rest....

Quote:

4 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Very close, one of my Catalogues has the prices written beside each model.  For the series fours like the B-26 they were 85p in the mid 1970s. 

Good old days   - imagine  a kit for  that price now...

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

An O-1 Second Lieutenant/Ensign made about $350 a month in 1970. Being on flying status gave one an extra $100. Used to be flight pay was half your base pay, I think in WW II.

Ken