Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

They are going to look great Michael B) As ever,I am thinking if you could laminate the two sections together,then mill to size and mill the rebate on the MF70.This would mean perfect squareness and an exact lip on all lids.Just a suggestion my friend,thinking of how this mass production job could be made a little easier.Hardest thing would be holding them.Possibly spot gluing to a sheet of ply and clamping that down.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

As usual thanks for your sage advice. Yes that is a great solution. That said, however working on the sizing of those little second door bits I now realize, retrospectively of course, that as a novice when first starting this ship the gun port openings actually vary in size. So I will need to, visually, adjust each of those 100 inner bits here and there so as too appear, if the doors were to be closed, that the inner frame would fit within the door framing and not be too wide when seen with the doors open (which they will remain)

I have learned so much through being a member here from all of you artists. All of which will be incorporated into my next project that will certainly have many less builder errors (:-) So for now its an ad hoc go as you go for these doors. I'm also learning the meaning "foresight"

Always enjoy and appreciate your continued interest and posts

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael,

The gun ports look terrific! 

Where did you get that small dimple tool? It seems to be working great!

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for the kind words...Here is where I bought that tool

http://www.amazon.com/Excel-Pounce-Wheel-1-4-Inch/dp/B0006O5K5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414958647&sr=8-1&keywords=pounce+wheel

There are diff. sizes the 1/4" has appropriate spacing for what I intended with the inner parts of the doors.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

Yes,I fully appreciate now why this wouldn't produce the desired effect.Having the lid match the port it fits is far more important than consistency throughout,especially on Vasa,where consistency is perhaps a little less than the norm.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hi Michael

Yes,I fully appreciate now why this wouldn't produce the desired effect.Having the lid match the port it fits is far more important than consistency throughout,especially on Vasa,where consistency is perhaps a little less than the norm.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Oh the irony of "mistakes" seems as if they are, for this ship, correct funny....

Yes I have in fact read a bit about even how the port side differs from the starboard side. Well now I feel better.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Continuing with cannon door assemblies; I first looked through the 60 or so inserts that I cut out looking for those that would fit right away. Found a few, some minor edge sanding, and then glued the outer parts of the doors with the inner trim pieces.

Used a bit of painters tape to stabilize the outer doors from moving to make it easier to adjust the inner parts before the glue set.

Noted their locations and then used hobby masking tape to fix them to their correctly adjusted places. I know that if I had not taped them on my location drawing, for sure the paper would move and well…you know (;-)

This bit is sort of fun, though I have to figure out how to drill in two eyelets for the ropes (opening and closings). I’m thinking of using only one eyelet and then curving the backside that will face the hull. This is probably destined to create breakage. I have very little working room after the lions are glued into place,

Two eyelet pieces one on each side is probably the best solution….attach the ropes, then the hinges followed by the lion heads.??

Yes, I need complete the chain plate bits first, been very lazy with this, though as you can see its been started. The other side has been completed for all three masts.

Thanks again for dropping by.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-93809300-1415113474_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-55774600-1415113481_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-27407700-1415113488_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65501700-1415113494_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-09576100-1415113505_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hola Michael:

You are doing a very nice work on those cannon doors, congratulations!!

Saludos, Karl

Looking good Michael, enjoying the build. Too bad the real ship didn't sail very good, however if it had we probably wouldn't have it today as a museum..

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks for all of your kind comments,

John, yes not too sea-worthy but you're right she would not be in the museum today.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael, I still following your build and she  becomes beautifull.

I was wondering, do you paint the metal figures with a primer first or do you degreasing them  and paint them on the white metal.

Regards, Jadzo

Edited by Jadzo

Jadzo,

Thanks for your kind remarks. Regarding the figures, no no primer was use. I just washed the figures, and using hobby paint just applied it directly upon the gilded metal. All the colors adhered very easily.

Thanks for dropping by.

MIchael

post-735-0-78664100-1415552929_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments as well as for just dropping buy, always a pleasure and a source of encouragement.

Continuing with the cannon doors;

All doors have been sized given the minor size variations on the ports. As Nigel pointed out, my errors were actually in keeping with the way Vasa was probably assembled given its early 16th century birth. Love it when my errors turn out to be OK J

Started to put together the opening and closing rope pulls, getting there, need 100 altogether. For the much less visible opening pulls (doors will be open almost vertically) I will only do a single rope wrap not a double, as I’m doing for the closing ropes

Those nails will double as the door hinges

Using the Proxxon to drill through the door and the inserts. I will use the same hole for the pull and pull eyelets.

Again, thanks for taking your time following along, dropping in or just passing by.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-91838500-1416090313_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-45668800-1416090323_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-64922800-1416090330_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-07848300-1416090338_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65672200-1416090346_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-90596200-1416090352_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-43422100-1416090361_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-11795100-1416090367_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-72752900-1416090373_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-06533600-1416090381_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-58618300-1416090387_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Frank, thanks for your nice thoughts.

Lawrence, I had thought of adding a clear varnish, but all of my figures have been painted with combinations of water based, acrylic, and laquer types of paints. So I'm hesitant to cover those mixes with a clear-coat. hmmmm

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

Thanks for your nice comments, likes and just looking in- still and always much appreciated.

Continuing with the cannon door assemblies and dummy cannon installations it struck me that I really wanted to also add upper and lower “carriages” look.

I looked at the positioned (but not yet fixed into place) first door, and its cannon - wanted to do something about the missing carriages (pic 3).

So now I needed to simulate these bits.

I played around with some ideas (pic 4), the first two carriages, left to right, did not drop down enough into the dummy opening (pic 5).

Added a longer leading edge vertical strip, looked better (pics 6 & 7)

-------------------------

I was going to use the Proxxon MF70 and cut a groove into a long piece of timber, but I still would have had the leading edge visual problem, and I imagined that if I tried cutting tiny little slivers of “U” shaped wood, I would loose most to breakage. My fear of the unknown J

So the pics were my solution. Made also sure that the wood framings were of the same diameter as the weather deck installs (pic 9)

I’m comfortable with this. These will get “lost” when one looks at the finished ship, but for me it adds a level of detail to the dummy openings that seem to work. Labor intensive, for sure. Each dummy has 5 pieces X 50 Hmmm that’s another 250 questionable parts added to this kit. Having fun-no rush on my part…

PS: You might note pics 2,5 & 8 (carriage bit in place) the very tip of the pull open rope for the door is a bit darker colored. That is GS Hypo at work. Thumb and forefingers bit of glue makes the rope tips hard and straight- so easy to push into its hole after positioning the doors. Here I actually thought ahead, must be some foresight going on (;-)

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-11954400-1418326313_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-97107800-1418326322_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-75737200-1418326332_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-14060300-1418326342_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-61612900-1418326350_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-81740400-1418326358_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-78895200-1418326366_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-97060300-1418326374_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-44702600-1418326382_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-25569800-1418326389_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Ahoy Micheal :D 

You surely are raising the bar on this kit 

WOW 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi Michael

You continue to amaze me with the continuing addition of details B) I honestly didn't believe you could find anything else to add.Excellent work,I wouldn't fancy retrofitting this detail after the main construction.I concur that although only a 'segment' of the actual carriage,they add a great deal visually.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Wow... what a great bit of detail. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work as always Michael, like I said before... this is one great!! looking build'''

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mates,

Thanks for your nice thoughts. Always nice to receive.

Buck, steal as much as you like, I have certainly stolen many ideas following other builds here at MSW. appreciate the compliment

GMT, you were the catalyst for me building weather deck carriages piece by piece after seeing those on your Trinidad SO beautiful--thanks

FrankM you are the one that made me decide to "fix" those missing gun deck carriages. Brilliant idea on your part, excellent foresight that I missed. Your Vasa is also pleasure to follow.

All-in-all; JPett, Nigel (of course), Frank (almost neighbors aren't we) , and  all of you kind members looking in, thanks for following along, helps to make our hobby more social.

Let's face it most of us work alone in our shipyards with hardly a visitor, apart from a voice from somewhere across the house saying "dinner is ready" (:-) So our internet communications, and friendships help to keep us connected. Its a nice perk of our hobby....

OK time for my morning laté  

Cheers,

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Was just reflecting on all those gunport lids and the poor soul,who, back in the day had to carve 100 lion heads, out of oak presumably and not a power tool for another 400 years.We are a spoiled lot in this day and age. Bill (struggling with a laser cut kit) in the present

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

reklein,

What you are saying IS so true. We lost power for about 1/2 an hour on our block this morning, my wife and I were besides ourselves, she could't dry her hair the garage door would not open, I had no internet, tried to read the morning paper without artificial light - OMG.  

This planet's human survival would under no circumstances survive today without electricity. The addiction is absolute...

PS: Thanks for dropping in much appreciated.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Dear members of WASA builders

Thank you very much for you replies, it makes me very happy to be in your group.

You give me a lot of support to make my ship as good as I can.

I will continue looking at your progresses.

Attached please see my last Work, the Danish "Fregatte Jylland".

Regards

Werner

post-9428-0-98713100-1418758819_thumb.jpg

post-9428-0-88590900-1418758928_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...