Yamato Type 94 46cm Gun Main Turret No.1 by CDW - FINISHED - Takom - 1:72 Scale - PLASTIC

You are chock full of surprises. I am in!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'll be following along, also. I have this kit, the Bismark, and Missouri main turrets, and the Bismark and Missouri secondary kits as well.

Nice! A challenge for the kit manufacturer would be to reproduce the structure that was beneath that monstrous turret.

Considering the secrecy that was in place during Yamato's construction, tho', that information may not be available now.

The lacquer thinner doesn't affect the styrene or do you remove it quickly?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

With the basic turret assembled and gun barrel halves joined, will give the entire model a black primer surfacer before doing some preshading. Will install the more delicate pieces after priming and preshading. Will also fill and sand the barrel join lines before priming.

The kit provides two sets of blast bags, giving the modeler the option of displaying the barrels in a raised or lowered position. 

757C0956-0614-44F1-9870-4AB583380D80.jpeg

58F2587C-107D-4259-9B43-C317172C8588.jpeg

Great project Craig. I was thinking about doing one, one day, but I will follow your build log with interest. 

There is a nice implementation of that kit on this French site and you may want to take a look at it, for ideas: 

https://www.laroyale-modelisme.net/t28739-ijs-yamato-tourelle-armement-principal-de-46cm-takom-1-72-de-geo-6679

I am sure that you will do great, no matter what.

Yves

Just now, yvesvidal said:

Great project Craig. I was thinking about doing one, one day, but I will follow your build log with interest. 

There is a nice implementation of that kit on this French site and you may want to take a look at it, for ideas: 

https://www.laroyale-modelisme.net/t28739-ijs-yamato-tourelle-armement-principal-de-46cm-takom-1-72-de-geo-6679

I am sure that you will do great, no matter what.

Yves

Thanks for that excellent reference, Yves. The addition of the Japanese sailors immediately caught my eye. Will begin searching for some of those figures for my model.

interesting kit :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

it would be a sure bet that no one would be near them  :D  .....at least,  no without ear protection ;)   there are battle ships that have a machine gun battery on top of the turret.  it is a fact that the guns can be individually elevated....most modelers keep them even.  it's a nice touch.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch