Adventure Galley by Glen McGuire – FINISHED – 1/400 - BOTTLE

Back to the display to finish this whole thing up.  First up was adding a layer of sand around the chest to make it look like it had been recently unearthed.  Going into this project, I had no idea what I was going to do for the sand.  A few weeks ago, a friend of mine bought some Mod Podge for a small project.  She barely used any of the bottle and asked me if I might need it for my SIB work.  I had never even heard of the stuff, so I told her that I’d look around the MSW website to see if any other modelers used it.  

Sure enough, it looks like a fairly popular product.  Then I found one build log where the light bulb went on and bells started dinging.  @turangi, For his Emma C Berry – Model Shipways build, used Mod Podge to make a gravel base for the display.  He had really cool concept where he showed the ship in drydock having repairs made to the hull (see 1st pic below from his build log).  His gravel base looked like what I had in mind for the sand around my treasure chest.

So I decided to follow Turangi’s lead and see if the Mod Podge would work for my display.  I mixed up a glop of sand and Podge, dabbed it around the treasure chest, worked it to the edges, and then mashed it around a bit to create an uneven surface.  Then I sprinkled a layer of dry sand over the whole thing to give it a realistic texture.  I let the whole thing dry overnight and then dusted off the loose sand.
It came out pretty much like I had originally envisioned.  So a big THANK YOU to Turangi for an excellent build log and showing me a great use for Mod Podge!

Screenshot 2022-12-14 092846.png

20221214_075623.jpg

20221214_080805.jpg

20221214_142803.jpg

20221214_142810.jpg

The adventure with the Adventure Galley comes to an end!  I mounted the bottle inside the chest, surrounded it with pirate bling, and called it a wrap.  For comparison, the first pic below is the original concept for this project roughed out in powerpoint.  Despite the countless bumbles along the way, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. 

Time to yo-ho-ho with a bottle of rum!

Gallery0.jpg

Gallery1.jpg

Gallery2.jpg

Gallery3.jpg

Gallery4.jpg

Gallery5.jpg

Amazing detail as always, I just had to say  something    :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Fantastic work/presentation, Glen. I think this one is the pick of the litter. 

4 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

Amazing detail as always, I just had to say  something    :cheers:

Thank you, Knocklouder!  And dang, I wish I'd thought of using the toasting pirates emoji!!

3 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Fantastic work/presentation, Glen. I think this one is the pick of the litter. 

Thank you, Keith!  I appreciate your insight and good sense of humor along the way.  You always keep me in good spirits!

3 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Now that is cool! Really impressive Glen. 👍😀

Thank you, Dave.  I really appreciate you following this build!

3 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Fantastic display Glen! She looks great! Just worried about that stick holding the lid open....😉

Thank you, Ian!  I thought about having a little pirate with a peg leg holding the lid open.  But I figured if I can't even carve a simple penguin, no way could I do a pirate!  

Wow... that is an impressive model and display.   Looks perfect. And yes... a toast or several is in order.!!!!  :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Wow... that is an impressive model and display.   Looks perfect. And yes... a toast or several is in order.!!!!  :cheers:

Thank you, Mark!

Absolutely wonderful Glen! From design concept through execution to final display - just a masterful piece of work.  You can be justifiably proud of a job well done. Time to splice the main brace. :cheers:

Just one question - where are your buccaneers? Oh that’s right, under your buckin’ hat! 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by gjdale

Thank you for the kind words and the pirate toast, Grant! 

But this...

4 hours ago, gjdale said:

where are your buccaneers? Oh that’s right, under your buckin’ hat! 🤣🤣🤣

OMG!  I just did another forehead slap.  😃🙄

Glen, another creative, fantastic build!  Really great job, love the SiB and display!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Glen,

Incredible work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• The title was changed to Adventure Galley by Glen McGuire – FINISHED – 1/400 - BOTTLE