All our problems are solved: post your dodgy solutions

Go to solution Solved by Kolvir,

From late 1977 on for several years I was on the committee that organised the annual university ball of the ETH Zurich - a 'business' with a turnover of several million Swiss Francs and organised accordingly, but by students only. That first year I joined, the theme was 'Goldrush'. Various halls, gyms etc. were decorated in theatre-like decorations that took a good part of the winter-term to prepare and build. In one hall my colleagues put up some veritable rail-tracks and constructed a working draisine on which visitors could move forwards and backwards a few metres. Unlike the rest of the decoration, the draisine was not scrapped after the ball, but we were able to store it in our workshop for further use ... sometimes we would take it out at night for rides on the local tram network through the city after the end of service. We got stopped by police, but they couldn't say anything, as it was not a motorised vehicle and didn't need a license ... 😇

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Хорошая жена,товарищ (Khoroshaya zhena, tovarishch)

Good wife, Comrade!

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

• 2 weeks later...

The Boy's Own Paper, November 1881 (not too sure whether 'boys' should be given information about attaching electrical devices to noisy young siblings ...)

image.png.0cbcceb94687a906474f03c0c4ed278d.png

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

I think there used to be cocaine drops for teething woes.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

1 hour ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

I think there used to be cocaine drops for teething woes.

Kaolin and Morphine over the counter for upset stomach. People were getting hooked on it as it was cheap until the Morphine addiction was realised and it was banned!

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Someone used to sell an emulsion of radium for upset stomachs. We had an empty bottle in the department "museum" when I was an undergraduate. Unfortunately, it caused stomach cancer and certain death.

But I guess that did put an end to upset stomachs!

Edited by Dr PR

Then there was the diet pills that contained live tape worm segments.  Well, they did work.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

14 hours ago, Bob Fraser said:

Kaolin and Morphine over the counter for upset stomach. People were getting hooked on it as it was cheap until the Morphine addiction was realised and it was banned!

And cocaine in Coca Cola..... ahhh the good ole days.  Found the following which may be made up as to quantity but funny none the less

“The first bottles of Coca-Cola from 1894 contained around 3.5 grams of cocaine, explains why our grandparents could walk to & from school, uphill, both ways, in the snow, barefoot.”

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

14 minutes ago, allanyed said:

And cocaine in Coca Cola..... ahhh the good ole days.  Found the following which may be made up as to quantity but funny none the less

“The first bottles of Coca-Cola from 1894 contained around 3.5 grams of cocaine, explains why our grandparents could walk to & from school, uphill, both ways, in the snow, barefoot.”

To quote Monty Python, 'Ahhh, and ya tell 'em that today and they won't believe ya.'

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

35 minutes ago, javajohn said:

My Mother once told me she used to rub whiskey on my gums

We did that for our boys too.  The older one asked if he had Wicky Gums when he was a baby after seeing us doing this for his younger brother.   

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On the subject of teeth, a common Victorian practice in the UK was for a brides father to pay for his daughters teeth to be extracted and replaced with dentures, even if her teeth were perfect.  This wedding gift was to save the new groom the expense of dental upkeep over her lifetime!  And if you couldn’t parcel your daughter off early it was also a perfectly acceptable 21st Birthday present! This practice continued into the 1950’s remaining particularly prevalent in Scotland.

As I sit here and reflect on the cost of my Scottish wife’s dental bill over the length of our marriage I can’t help but feel my father in-law in not providing this service has left me with an otherwise avoidable financial burden that could have paid for several good holidays (or more model kits & bits)!

Gary

Edited by Morgan