All our problems are solved: post your dodgy solutions

Go to solution Solved by Kolvir,

Perplexed by which keel clamp to buy? Problem solved!

image.png.3a4e1964dfdc1aae78f628dad6aaa3d3.png4

From HOBBIES WEEKLY magazine, May 29, 1937

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

40 minutes ago, ah100m said:

Vice (sic)?!

You can only implement the suggested solution if you, personally, have no vices.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Opportunity to crush the keel if leave raised to high or a crushed model if too loose. One of my vices is buying too many vises 😂

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

That might work on a table that top slides apart... but not sure I'd want to do that.  Seems like it create lots of issues especially where an Admiral is involved when it's time for dinner.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Popular Mechanics Shop Notes Special, 1918:

image.png.d3693dd0a17b107f55d2fc282bbaa05e.png

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

How they used to make power extension leads: what could go wrong?

(Same edition of Popular Mechanics Shop Notes)

image.png.9fa0892fef0b39fe015413cf9c68755f.png

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Model Engineer, May 7 1953:

Model_Engineer_Vol_108_No_2711_0017.jp2&id=Model_Engineer_Vol_108_No_2711&scale=2&rotate=0

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Modern Mechanics, July 1930.  Again, what could possibly go wrong?

Modern%20Mechanics%20v04n03%20%281930-07%29%20%28scantailored%20microfilm%29_0169.jp2&id=modern-mechanics-scantailored-microfilm&scale=4&rotate=0

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

NEW RULE for MSW modelers: Suit & Tie at Your Bench

PeriodBook.thumb.jpg.c17cd88c7b2d4efe36c748fe55639ca9.jpg

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I've seen old model railroader pictures of a gentleman working on a drill press in a business suit, minus his jacket. The jacket is off to one side and he is wearing arm bands to keep his shirt cuffs clear of his work. And he does have on his tie. 😲

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

When I first started work, the bricklayer I learnt from wore a suit and tie, under overalls.

He always looked dapper when going home.😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

The 1972 First Edition of the U.K.'s Model Shipwright "quarterly" publication (actually a hardcover book).

In the Twiggy-era late 60's, early seventies, a tie was optional as the fellow on the left confirms. However, looking on the rear cover of the same issue, some modelers chose not only to wear a suit and tie, but also an attractive chapeau (second photo).

DressupModeler01.thumb.jpg.d010cc4cbf84e1273a4e3cea76c93f0c.jpg

DressupModeler02.thumb.jpg.5fffc19013bed84bb22f95e31e9e0527.jpg

Edited by hollowneck
added text

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Now I'm thinking this needs to be the MSW equivalent of those stupid social media "challenges" and see how many people can post a picture in their build logs of them working in formal clothes (suit or dress). Especially if it's deadpan and no hint why.

Then there are the old Lionel Train ads where a dad (minus jacket - but still in dress pants, shirt and tie ... sometimes holding a pipe) is 'helping' (bonding with?) a lad set-up an O-gauge layout, while a mom (wearing  a 50s house dress) looks on with approval.  Sometimes there'd be a girl spying somewhere with a look telegraphing something like, 'I wish I were a boy - then I'd get to play with Dad'.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I actually still have my O-Scale Lionel train from the early 70's. I dug it out last year for my grandson to play with, but I was not about to don a suit and tie to watch him play with it. 😁

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

And, in case your sweater isn't warm enough in the garage, you can always fire-up the kerosene heater...

It's hard to tell, but do you think the young boy is wearing a tie like Dad?

ShipFatherSon.jpg.46ee3d5c339013721174cc696e9060c6.jpg

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

@bruce d...I think I've inadvertently hijacked your thread! But in my defense - it's your fault for starting this one!😂

Ron

39 minutes ago, Cathead said:

Here's a rare one that actually includes the daughter!

The family that plays together, stays together! Love this Rockwellian illustration.

Ahh...fond memories... the uncomplicated 50's, when men were just bigger boys and....girls were...uh....

Ron

(music for Archie and Edith Bunker) ... And you knew what you were then.  Girls were girls and men were men.  Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.  Didn't need no welfare state, everybody pulled his weight.  Gee, our old LaSalle ran great.  Those were the days !

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Not so long ago any respectable man would not be out in public without at least a waistcoat, neck cloth, and hat.  Up until the early 1800's your shirt was basically your underwear/night clothes.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Popular Mechanics, January 1926. 

Really.

image.png.bfd9616a3e65b6fd5e95718d725070a6.png

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

7 hours ago, bruce d said:

Popular Mechanics, January 1926. 

Really.

Reminds me of the eyeglass nose bridge handle thing from Steve Martin in "The Jerk".  How many people went cross-eyed from this gizmo?

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci