All our problems are solved: post your dodgy solutions

Go to solution Solved by Kolvir,

7 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Don't for get the codpiece ! 😉 

Not before the 15th century! Up till then the skirt of the jupon/doublet covered the naughty bits. The attached pic is from the transition time - looks to be mid 15th century - some of the guys are modestly covering up, others are flaunting . . .

image.png.06854e6fc75e41b2355e4145d01b1241.png

On 12/6/2022 at 7:33 AM, Morgan said:

So make 1 gallon (just enough to kill a few bugs or burn down an house) and spray it indiscriminately, you don’t need to aim it at your victim, the fallout will kill them! I think napalm is more surgical.

Which reminded me of this picture from a Byzantine re-enactor site supposedly illustrating a Byzantine soldier guarding a prisoner with a cheirosiphon (hand-held Greek Fire flamethrower). One of the comments was "Mega duke to syphonarios " if he moves,light him up....and also me and the bloke next to me "

image.png.f27d7152ef84114b47a80c43ff957672.png

Edited by Louie da fly

10 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Many years later, the idea of "dress down" Fridays came into vogue - where non-suit slacks and other colors of shirt (including short sleeved) were OK.  This evolved into jeans and totally casual clothes - and everything went 'down hill' from there.

One place I worked at in the '70's as a tech writer... suit and tie manditory.  Another place though, jeans and comfy shirt as much time was spent on the shop floor or in test area.  I should add that the standard procedure if a tie was worn at the mentioned second place, the shop boss would cut it off with scissors.  Even the company owner took his tie off in those areas.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, thibaultron said:

Wow, funny three times over!

Oops. Had trouble getting the rotten thing to post. Then it did it three times! (extra unnecessary posts now removed).

Steven

20 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Not before the 15th century! Up till then the skirt of the jupon/doublet covered the naughty bits. The attached pic is from the transition time - looks to be mid 15th century - some of the guys are modestly covering up, others are flaunting . . .

image.png.06854e6fc75e41b2355e4145d01b1241.png

True enough, Steven ... I forgot how SHORT some of those doublets got ... plenty of ventilation for the (uh) 'bits', and the historic precedence for the micro-skirt.  Now your model of Henry VIII's flagship fits right into the 'padded codpiece' era - and Henry liked to boast of his prowess.  

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Yes, the fashion reached the height of absurdity in the Landsknecht (mercenary footsoldier) with puffed and slashed outfits in a mix of fabrics and colours - sometimes one colour on the left and another on the right . . . and of course emphasised cod pieces (no, that's not some form of packaged frozen fish).

image.png.d722f4909ae3e63a87f44677798e7443.png

Steven

On 12/7/2022 at 2:20 PM, wefalck said:

Carbon-tetrachloride production has been banned worldwide since 1999 (Montreal Protocol).

It was our standard degreaser when I joined Rolls Royce in 1969. We had open vats of the stuff and most of the apprentices got their chance to bath in it as they stripped down and cleaned engines. We were tough in those days.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Some dodgy solutions of the past had the merit of actually working - unlike their modern equivalents.

40 years ago you could buy a paint stripper called Nitromors. It had a water like consistency and one bottle would cover acres of surface. Within seconds of application the paint would start to bubble and it would happily lift multiple layers within 30 minutes of application (while eating its way through any floor covering beneath the work area). Many years ago it was replaced with a jell which gives limited coverage and cleans the paint surface effectively while producing limited blistering of the surface layer, if you have a few days to spare and unlimited funds it will eventually deliver an inadequate result.

Likewise Colron used to make excellent wood dyes. They covered in one coat, penetrated deeply into the wood and produced excellent results. They then replaced them with water based alternatives which were so hopeless I stopped buying them. 

I am sure that many products have become environmentally more sustainable and safer at the expense of function. 

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

A popular degreaser until about 20 years ago was 1,1,1 trichloroethylene (aka 'Tri-chlor'), and there were open bins of it all around one factory I used to work for.  You could buy it in cans at the local hardware store as well.  Due to various toxicities (as well as VOC concerns), it has been replaced with something else.  (For how long?)

Also, I remember lead (or tin-lead) tinsel for Christmas Trees.  We'd all play with the stuff, but never ate any.  

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

2 hours ago, KeithAug said:

It was our standard degreaser when I joined Rolls Royce in 1969.

10 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

A popular degreaser until about 20 years ago was 1,1,1 trichloroethylene

My mistake - I meant trichloroethylene - my memory isn’t what it was.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

When I was a kid, the church hall had those balls of fire extinguisher mounted on the wall. They never went into action, fortunately.

Around 1998 I went to work for a government contractor in Virginia, USA. (Is there another Virginia? I don't think so, but in the Philippines you can buy Virginia hot dogs, which I've never seen in the USA.) I worked in the publications group, and I had to wear a tie. Although I was an editor, I sometimes worked in the print shop like everybody else in the publications group. Around machinery, I would tuck my tie into my shirt, something I think I learned from Navy movies or photos.

2 hours ago, Literalman said:

Is there another Virginia? I don't think so, but in the Philippines you can buy Virginia hot dogs, which I've never seen in the USA.

I don't know about the hot dog situation, but states' names get attached to products all the time without any meaningful connection. For example, "Vermont" gets attached to all sorts of food and craft products that aren't produced in or related to the state, because the state's image as a home to thrifty Yankee craftsmen is so strong. Vermonters hate it because it dilutes the value/brand of their actual products, but can't do anything about it.

Virginia does have a strong cultural/historical connection to various smoked meats (like Virginia country ham), so it's possible the hot dogs you saw were using "Virginia" in the same way that "Vermont" gets used even if there was no state connection.

The Admiral keeps asking, "Do you really use all these books?" pointing to my nautical/modeling library. 

Today, I showed her.    

image.jpeg.14977909c270b9185276b1fabd196f2a.jpeg

I am putting a Vyco cover (5-layer vinyl covering usually used on drafting tables) on my old computer desk.  It will be my modeling work station when I finish.  (The cover is 37X60 inches and will be cut to fit my 24X57 desk with a leftover piece cut to fit my 22X10 keyboard tray.)

The instructions say to unroll the material and let it lay flat at room temperature for 24 hours. Vyco recommends using books to help the material relax lay flat after being rolled up for shipping. (Hmmm, sounds a lot like what I like to do - relax with a book, usually laying on my chest as I lay flat.)

So, yes, dear, I really do need all those books.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

I know you are all waiting with bated breath on the project.  I can say the project was a success.  Even the Admiral says, "It look good!" 

My nautical library provided the needed support to the project.  Proof that having good research material is important. 

image.jpeg.e01820b4728900fd63a7b58a595483a7.jpeg

Now it's just a matter moving furniture around and placing a couple of rugs. 

Edited by robert952

Robert Chenoweth

Nothing at this time.

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

17 hours ago, robert952 said:

I am putting a Vyco cover

Next, it might be worth considering giving this layer some protection.  I use white butcher paper, but a roll of 3 x1000 foot has become a bit dear.  Home Depot or Slowes have small rolls of contractors paper (the stuff that you walk on in a model home).   For a direct working surface, a 18"x12" x 1/4" piece of tempered glass - edge beveled - is a good glue and cut surface and is dead flat for glue ups.

A bit of a drift from being a "dodgy solution"  unless you drop or use the glass as a hammering surface.  A source of worry if you move a lot.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

7 hours ago, Jaager said:

...unless you drop or use the glass as a hammering surface.  A source of worry if you move a lot.

Don't put it past me.  I don't plan on moving it a lot. 

I knew this post was a bit OT.  Thanks for the indulgence.  I thought it was a bit humorous and worthy of sharing. 

Also thanks for the suggestions.  I doubt I'll go with glass as I am likely to accidentally drop something on the glass.  

Robert Chenoweth

Nothing at this time.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

My parents bought one but I wasn't present when they used it.  Per the family legend, it filled the kitchen and much of house with smoke.  The dogs were charcoal and the whole mess was unplugged. taken outside and hosed down before ending up in the trashcan.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 12/22/2022 at 1:34 PM, Canute said:

What were they thinking?

We have all gone soft. Don’t you remember the electric fires with coiled wire behind a grid wide enough for kids to push their fingers through. In my day an electric shock a week was considered a good way of toughening kids up. All the electrical equipment in our house had mandatory rat chewed flexes repaired expertly with scotch tape or bandaids.😐

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

18 hours ago, KeithAug said:

We have all gone soft. Don’t you remember the electric fires with coiled wire behind a grid wide enough for kids to push their fingers through. 

Had one of them on the wall in the bathroom as a kid early 60s! 💀 😅

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

4 hours ago, wefalck said:

Yes, but they should have been mounted above reach.

I am thinking in particular about a free standing floor mounted model in a neighbours house in the late 1950's. I can remember the jolt to this day.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

We had one in the bathroom in the 1950's.  The heat source for the house was an on oil burning furnace under a grating in the hall.  More than one kid at the time 1"x1" or so grid pattern burns from falling on a red hot grate. 

That was a step up from a coal burning furnace that required blackgang work from an inhabitant.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

39 minutes ago, Jaager said:

That was a step up from a coal burning furnace that required blackgang work from an inhabitant.

We had one of those  monsters in our house during WWII. Remember following my Dad into cellar one time when he went to stoke it for the night. As soon as he opened the door to furnace to shovel the coal in, the air rushing in caused the fire to roar, scared the daylights out of me,  I think I was 5 or 6 then.  Scared me so badly, I would never go in cellar when it was running.  He converted to a Delco oil burner as soon as the war ended.   

The apartment I grew up in for the first eight years of my life had a large tiled stove in the living- and the dining-room respectively. Both were stoked from the corridor. The other rooms had individually stoked cast-iron stoves. These stoves had a lid on top that revealed a cooker-like plate on which one could put a kettle. The tiled stoves had a heating compartment which was useful for baking apples in winter 😋

While we had moved to centrally heated apartments in the mid-1960s, the early 1900s apartment house in which my maternal grandparents lived still had stoves when they died in the early 1980s. These stoves were oil-fired and one had to get the fuel from a large tank in the cellar, from where it was hand-pumped into cans (looked liked garden watering-cans, but with closed lids) and carried upstairs.

I don't remember having ever burnt myself on any of those stoves ... rather I remember cold, unheated parts of the apartments.

OK these are not 'dodgy' solutions as per the title of the thread, but were standard fittings throughout the 20th century and still are in many parts of the world.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I’ve just refurbished one of those ‘dodgy’ stoves and installed it into a dodgy Garden Studio I just built this summer for modelling and other craft work, it kick out the heat. I can remove the top plate and boil a kettle and have done baked potatoes on top. Perhaps a Dutch Oven next for a dodgy stew!

The dogs love it, and I have to fight my way through the pack to feed the stove!

Gary

B1FBACB7-F9B1-4843-8B36-B3A830546218.jpeg

3571EF05-8037-4D4A-A361-52DCBC2EBD33.jpeg

6CEE5383-6A3E-4DB9-B671-9D6B3A5E53FC.jpeg

B4D20818-76A7-46D8-8517-27E5A4EEB42C.jpeg

Nice shop, Gary.

I sat alert in a facility back when smoking was commonplace. For some reason, the smokers couldn't carry their Zippo lighters in the facility so every room had this little gadget on the wall . It had a grid on it similar to the cigar coil in autos back then. And a pushbutton next to it for turning it on. The smokers had to get up, stick their face, with cigarette, in that thing to light up. Listened to much grousing by the smokers. Since I never smoked I pretty much ignored their whines.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild