Hawker Hurricane Mk 1 by Realworkingsailor - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/72

1 hour ago, JKC27 said:

Not to hijack this thread, but club I am in, just acquired, as is going to doing a big group build on a 1/32 scale Lancaster bomber that we trying to make as close as possible to the one that is being restored here in Windsor

That one hell of a project!!!

Will take at least a year to do it right...

You will keep us posted correct?

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

47 minutes ago, Egilman said:

That one hell of a project!!!

Will take at least a year to do it right...

You will keep us posted correct?

for the 1/32 scale Lancaster build we are going to do, I can start a thread and keep it up to date.

For the actual plane itself....... it's been a long haul.  Check out https://canadianaviationmuseum.ca/

3 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Shipping is always the delicate dance. Is the value of the item(s) worth the shipping, or is the shipping cost extortionate. I didn’t do too badly on the aftermarket parts for my Wellington build (about $15 CAD) to bring that order up from Australia. However when I first went looking for decals for my Hurricane, it would have cost me $15 to ship a $10 envelope of decals from the UK (uh, that was a NOPE). 

For what it’s worth, have a look at Sunward hobbies, they have a $60 (CAD) threshold to qualify for free shipping for almost anywhere in Canada or the US. (Not associated with Sunward, just plugging a local business 😜)

Andy

I've completed a couple of orders with Angelo at Sunward and found them to be a great modeling resource and would also recommend them as well.

A little update today on my progress. I had surgery on Tuesday afternoon, finally, and things are now beginning to mend. It will still be a little while yet before I’m back at the workbench, but at least there’s now a better chance of me getting there. I have a follow up appointment on the 30th, hopefully by then the stitches come out and the sling can come off. One day at a time, but moving forward. Thanks again, everyone, for all the well wishes and words of support. This is absolutely a great community to belong to.

@JKC27 I hope you share that Lanc project with us, as well as your Spit! You can’t tease us all like that! 😜

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

1 hour ago, realworkingsailor said:

A little update today on my progress. I had surgery on Tuesday afternoon, finally, and things are now beginning to mend. It will still be a little while yet before I’m back at the workbench, but at least there’s now a better chance of me getting there. I have a follow up appointment on the 30th, hopefully by then the stitches come out and the sling can come off. One day at a time, but moving forward. Thanks again, everyone, for all the well wishes and words of support. This is absolutely a great community to belong to.

@JKC27 I hope you share that Lanc project with us, as well as your Spit! You can’t tease us all like that! 😜

Andy

Good luck on the recovery Andy!

The next model club meeting will give me an idea of how the build will progress.  Our club is trying to do a forced perspective display for the museum too featuring a scene with Spitfires.......calling it Windsor's Spitfires I believe, and of course, we are trying to get our local OHL team (Windsor Spitfires) to be a part of it.  The Lanc group build will be fun, and the restored full size Lanc should be ready to be on full display for 2024 for 100th anniversary of the Canadian Air Force.

Andy! I just was catching up on your log when I read about your human snowplow impression. Sorry about that and hope all goes well in your recovery now.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

4 minutes ago, druxey said:

Andy! I just was catching up on your log when I read about your human snowplow impression. Sorry about that and hope all goes well in your recovery now.

Thanks! Yep, I did plow snow, and I sure left an impression! So far so good in the recovery, I’m off the pain meds, except the odd topical, as all the muscles in my shoulder are taking turns twisting themselves into knots. Otherwise no major issues as far as I can tell. Counting the days until the stitches come out and I can lose the sling!

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

That excellent news  on the surgury, Andy.  Hoping you have a speedy recovery.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! It's update time (finally!)!

Last Monday's appointment went well, all the staples came out, and I was ordered to begin moving my arm again, so the sling came off too. Things are slowly improving and my range of motion is steadily being restored. I'm still restricted from lifting things for another few weeks, but I'm happy to be able to do most things for myself again.

I've also returned to the workbench and have some progress to share with you as well! I've spent the last few days lettering up my Hurricane.

IMG_2151.thumb.JPG.c856c22cb3fc4aff79a948d5deb440c4.JPG

As I referenced before, based on photographic evidence, V7203 (LE T) was one of a small number of late delivered fabric winged Hurricanes, so it seems appropriate to use the marking supplied in the Xtradecal set for this aircraft. I was still able to use the technical stencils from the Airfix supplied decal sheet, as these were not part of the Xtradecal set.

IMG_2153.thumb.JPG.2fbc91373a4aca9baa3499eea236bdb9.JPG

Slightly differing from contemporary bombers, the squadron lettering is presented in the same order on both sides of the aircraft, LE T on both sides, where the bombers where more mirrored (on my Wellington one side was AA R and the other side R AA).

IMG_2155.thumb.JPG.a85cc51b1f65adc3e2a68ed91b07dc2b.JPG

Nicely included was the 242 (Canadian) Squadron nose art of good ol' Adolph getting the Boot!

IMG_2157.thumb.JPG.d822f9bfcaaf47ddd7abba0183dac157.JPG

The registration number was not included in the decal set, I'm assuming at the time it was developed, it was not known. As I mentioned before, the discussion on Britmodeller showed that LE T bore the registration number V7203. I made this decal by playing around with fonts and type sizing in a word processing program, before printing on blank decal paper with my laser printer. 

IMG_2159.thumb.JPG.bb3bbd9f2e6e4481891bdf660443872b.JPG

Finally, the underside roundels came from the Airfix supplied sheet. I'm very pleased with how things have turned out, next steps include attaching the landing gear before sealing everything. Eagle eyed viewers may have noticed the missing antenna masts. They became inadvertently detached during the pause in construction, but they are in a safe location and will be reattached soon.

It feels good to be back at the workbench, once again, thanks to everyone for all your kind words of support and encouragement.

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

That's good news all around, Andy. Great to see you back at the build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Like Mark said   -   great news   and that's  a  great  looking  build.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

It feels good to be back at the workbench, once again, thanks to everyone for all your kind words of support and encouragement.

4 more infusions (2-3 months) and I'll be joining you at the WB....

Glad to see you back!!!! Nice work on the decals...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

26 minutes ago, Egilman said:

4 more infusions (2-3 months) and I'll be joining you at the WB....

Glad to see you back!!!! Nice work on the decals...

Thanks EG!

Hang in there, hopefully everything goes well! When I was still sailing, I’d be forced away from the workbench for just about the same timeframe. I know how badly my fingers were itching to get back building something, you must be feeling the same!

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

That's good news all around, Andy. Great to see you back at the build.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Like Mark said   -   great news   and that's  a  great  looking  build.

OC.

Thanks Mark and OC! 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

7 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Your Hurricane is superb. Excellent work. I always liked the workhorse Hurry. As I understand it there is a Hurricane VC, the only one in Fighter Command.

Congratulations on the very positive recovery

Alan

Thanks Alan!

A quick google, and you would be correct. P3576 GN A, flown by James Nicolson: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brindley_Nicolson

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Also  don't foreget  the  Sea  Hurricane's   my  farther  used to work on them at  Lee on Solent  (HMS Daedalus)   sutch a solid  platform.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Great news about you Andy and a very nice looking Hurricane. 😃

Like others on here I love a Hurricane, I’m also biased in that one of the top scoring aces of the Battle of Britain, James (Ginger) Lacey went to my school (King James’s, Knaresborough), he was from the nearby Town of Wetherby.  They still have a fine oil painting on the wall in the entrance of the school of him on patrol in a Hurricane. 

Looking forward to seeing yours finished. 

Very nice smooth finish.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind comments, likes and continued support!

A small update this morning, as I inch towards the approaching finish line (although, not too much inching left).

The landing gear is now attached!

IMG_2161.thumb.JPG.e34a7e4fadd2c717548f9c1279b523f1.JPG

IMG_2164.thumb.JPG.037046c4a967b86020593ffa8e911c24.JPG

It's nice to see her standing on her own three (?) feet! A few of the other more fragile appurtenances have also been (re)attached. The arial masts are repaired and standing tall, as well as the pitot tube. I've left off the prop and spinner for now, as the open nose, along with my sanded pencil (HB lead) makes a great holder for painting. There only remains to add a coat of Dulcote to seal everything, then add the landing lights and finally the prop. I will probably add a little pastel weathering in some key areas, to make it look like she's seen some service, but not to the point of looking horribly beat up!

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, your Hurri is coming along nicely. They definitely were the workhorses of the early stages of the war.

And glad to read you're recovering well. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you all for the kind remarks and likes!

Well, I think it's time to call this one done... hooray! 

IMG_2167.thumb.JPG.8e30cec9a23dc01df8c1df251398e09c.JPG

IMG_2168.thumb.JPG.48b3e9107c3c76b3e2e614f892b08fbe.JPG

IMG_2170.thumb.JPG.b75bc6e6a5aff097fc7ba56e3c1ec7a2.JPG

I wanted to keep the weathering light, just enough to suggest use. It was accomplished using Pan Pastel grime and soot colours and a soft applicator sponge in key areas. Oh, yeah, although the prototype appears to have a black spinner, I decided to paint mine red, mostly because I like the effect.

IMG_2172.thumb.JPG.272f04a54739fea7413bcc3753c79301.JPG

IMG_4927.JPG.406e38827c375128aea58b6ce9e30930.JPG

I think I did pretty well by the prototype! (Although my camouflage bands run in the opposite direction)

Overall this has been an enjoyable build, and I would highly recommend the kit. Airfix has done a great job, and at a really affordable price point ($17.50 CAD), it's hard to say no. There's not too many crazy small parts, so even at 1/72 it should be manageable for most. I have my next build already lined up, so stay tuned for more fun.

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nicely done  -  she came out a  treat.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Andy that is a cracking looking build. The opposite camouflage pattern I will keep quiet about just in case you get your chainsaw out and knock me out of my “squeaky” tree. The RAF did have a camouflage pattern “A” & “B” depending on what serial number was of the aircraft. I think it was camouflage pattern “A” for even numbered aircraft and “B” for odd numbers. Think that fell into disuse from 42 onwards.

Anyway is that the sound of a chainsaw I hear? 🤣

10 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Andy that is a cracking looking build. The opposite camouflage pattern I will keep quiet about just in case you get your chainsaw out and knock me out of my “squeaky” tree. The RAF did have a camouflage pattern “A” & “B” depending on what serial number was of the aircraft. I think it was camouflage pattern “A” for even numbered aircraft and “B” for odd numbers. Think that fell into disuse from 42 onwards.

Anyway is that the sound of a chainsaw I hear? 🤣

Nah, I’m not allowed to lift anything because of my shoulder, you’re safe. 😁

I’m thoroughly ill-equipped to debate camouflage patterns of the RAF, but now you’ve given me something of a basic understanding, I’ll pay closer attention in the future. Of course, trust the British to be bureaucratic about their camo schemes!

Thanks to you and everyone else for your kind compliments! I’m glad my efforts have met your expectations.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

10 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Thanks to you and everyone else for your kind compliments! I’m glad my efforts have met your expectations.

Andy

No thank you for sharing Andy. I hope you get full strength back soon so you can prune us “rivet counters” down to size!  
P.S. I’m still hovering around your Wellington log to see how that goes, you won’t distract me with a Defiant build you know! 😉