Oseberg and Kraken by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - Bottle - 1/250

Dammit! I should have thought of the generated heat bubbling the paint - it's happened to me in the past. But very glad you found a good solution (which I believe is better than the original).

And I like your idea of pre-painting the wood before punching the shields out. Amazingly, you seem to have positioned the punch exactly right to have the pattern centred properly - not an easy thing to do at all :imNotWorthy:.

Steven

4 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Amazingly, you seem to have positioned the punch exactly right to have the pattern centred properly - not an easy thing to do at all

You are right again, Steven.  I quickly realized the difficulty you describe after doing a few practice punches.  So I took a hi-tech approach and used a sharpie to mark to mark the tip of the punch at 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees to line up with my crosses.  Once I did that it was a breeze!

I was quite ready to do some easy stuff after those dang shields, so I hit the oars and rowing benches.  The oars are made from .5mm brass rods.  I cut 30 of them into 5/8” lengths and smashed the ends down with some pliers for the paddles.  Then I painted them a shade of brown.  I drilled holes for the oars in the hull between each shield at a downward angle so the oars will point towards the water.  I won’t install the oars into the hull until I get my water in the bottle and see how much room I have to work with (i.e. how far to let them stick out towards the water).

20230126_213117.thumb.jpg.404749a339fb0b700743b93817fd60b8.jpg

20230127_202041.thumb.jpg.e75f5e16b72742b27cb1d9f6966c273d.jpg

Next up were the rowing benches.  I took a 1mm x 1mm walnut strip, cut it into 3/16” long pieces, beveled one edge to match the curving angle of the gunwale, and glued into place.  I also added the mast step.  It is glued to one half of the hull and overlaps the other.

20230128_155405.thumb.jpg.4888044fff7546af19c26d8572b7b180.jpg

20230128_201542.thumb.jpg.677c474587786860de7449e9081cfc53.jpg

Finally, I added epoxy resin water to the bottle.  It looks like I got sloppy and drizzled resin in the neck of the bottle.  For once, however, that was on purpose.  Since the bottle will be tilted a bit towards the Kraken’s mouth (as if he’s trying to drink the ship out of the bottle) I thought it would look better to have a little water in the neck.

It will take a couple of days for the resin to dry, so now I will begin work on the mast, yard, and sail.

20230128_201713.thumb.jpg.8941fcbc29014b55086499d268fda99a.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Agent of Shield, Bond-Weld- Bond 0014, because you are twice as good as 007 lol, very nice looking water, I can all most see the Kraken drinking the ship,   :cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Looks really great Glen!  Congrats on getting the water in the bottle, color looks fantastic!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

The resin finished curing, so I was able to figure out how much the oars could extend from the hull and still fit inside the bottle.  I got all 30 oars installed and gave it a test.  The tips of the widest oars just slightly scrape the inside neck of the bottle.  Perfect!!

20230131_220726.thumb.jpg.9d13e5f323561c5416ab105edd023045.jpg

While working on the mast, I realized that my original plan of stepping it into the hull while inside the bottle would be extremely difficult if I wanted to rig shrouds, stays, and braces.  So I went back to a hinged mast which I will affix to one half of the hull before insertion.  I've still got some thinkin' and figurin' to do on the rigging plan because of the split hull.  Not exactly sure how I'll pull that off yet.

For the sail, I wanted to display another iconic look of many Viking ships - the Mr. Peppermint jacket sail with red and white stripes.  I cut strips from red shirt fabric and slightly off-white muslin and glued them edge to edge with fabric glue.  I was not sure how sturdy the edge to edge connection would be so I decided to add a hand sewn, modified zig-zag stitch to make them a bit more secure.  I glued a bolt rope around the edges and also added a stitch to help secure it as well.

20230131_081724.thumb.jpg.dae82e8bcb6a82e9f612e820f0bac599.jpg

20230131_144810.thumb.jpg.167843c1df510d51a3188b139b52f00c.jpg

20230201_092506.thumb.jpg.f9c0ebf833f33a3728198e0cc78a20a4.jpg

20230201_092609.thumb.jpg.13ad1aec347ad57b4d98c2a72beaaccb.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

Way cool Glen! I keep expecting to see Ragnar leap from amidships ready to do battle with the Kraken. 

Hello Glen.  Been reading through your log and just caught up.  What a fun and creative project this is.  Looking forward to future updates.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

29 minutes ago, FriedClams said:

What a fun and creative project this is.  Looking forward to future updates.

Hey Gary!  I am honored to have you checking in on my work.  I have been thru your shadowbox logs multiple times and am in awe of your miniaturization work.  Absolutely phenomenal.  

The First Mate hopes you make a video,  I think she just wants to shame me again about how I  put it in the bottle. Lol.

Those sails are great,  and I agree with you about Gary's  work been to his page many times.  You never cease to amaze my freind, looking forward to seeing Ragnar!!!!!!! Lol 😆 🤣    :cheers:

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

On 2/1/2023 at 4:51 PM, Ian_Grant said:

Phenomenal work at that tiny scale, Glen! That shot of the whole ship is amazing!

Thanks, Ian.  Just getting back and catching up on all the action I missed on MSW the past week.  We lost power on Tuesday during the great Austin ice storm and just got it restored yesterday.  Never seen this much tree damage my entire life.  We have mostly live oaks around here which still have all their leaves.  So they accumulate a lot of ice (and weight). 

The rigging is complete.  With only 1 sail, there are not too many lines.  However, the split hull and separate insertion will make things quite interesting.

I’m using black thread for the stays and shrouds.  The Oseberg has a fore stay and back stay.  The back stay is tied at the top of the mast and to an eye pin at the base of the stern post.  The fore stay is also knotted at the top of the mast but runs thru an eye pin up front and will act as the pull thread to raise the mast.

There’s 1 shroud on each side.  The port side shroud is tied to the top of the mast and to an eye pin on the bulwark.  For the starboard side, the shroud is tied at the top of the mast but runs thru the eye pin and all the way out of the bottle.  

I’m using tan thread for the braces and clew lines.  They are affixed similar to the shrouds with the port side tied securely to the mast and eye pin on both ends, while the starboard side is tied off at the mast but the other end runs thru the bulwark eye pin and out the bottle.  

All of the starboard side rigging runs thru the eye pins and out the bottle because the starboard half of the hull will be inserted after the port half is already in the bottle.  Rather than trying to thread those lines thru the eye pins inside the bottle, they are threaded outside.  As I push the starboard side of the hull into the bottle, the lines will run thru the eye pins.  Once both halves are inside and joined together, I will pull the lines tight, glue them to the eye pins, and cut off the excess.  

That is the plan, anyway.  Next post will either be the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat! 

20230206_091839.jpg

20230206_092609.jpg

Fingers crossed for you Glen.  Good luck!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looking good Glen, and a cunning plan for insertion. After your last couple though, this one should be a walk in the park!

1 hour ago, gjdale said:

After your last couple though, this one should be a walk in the park!

Don't jinx me like that, Grant!!  You know I have a knack for making simple things unusually difficult!

Come on Glen, get that ship shoved in that bottle and get crackin' with the kraken. :)

Gently, Gently stand your ground. Lol. It's going to be awesome  agent sheilds. 😎 :cheers:

1 minute ago, Knocklouder said:

Gently, Gently stand your ground.

Nope.  I have decided to adopt your Hannah method as your First Mate described, "Ram it in and done"!!

Just now, Glen McGuire said:

Nope.  I have decided to adopt your Hannah method as your First Mate described, "Ram it in and done"!!

LOL 😆 

Looking great Glen; a testament to your skills.  So, I am assuming a couple of spears floating in the bottle's neck water and one or two sticking out of the Kraken? ;)   Sorry, couldn't help myself.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Is it in yet!!!  Frist Mate wants to know lol

:cheers:

28 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

Is it in yet!!!  Frist Mate wants to know lol

Yes!  I just finished posting the video that your First Mate requested.  

Apparently I am unable to build anything with greater than a zero margin for error.  The insertion process went pretty well, but it took a while.  The oars and tips of the stem post were scraping along the neck of the bottle as I pushed each half of the hull inside.  I ended up bending a few of the oars but they can be straightened without too much difficulty.  

I got the hull pieces in pretty quickly.  The time consuming part was getting the rigging threads out of the way (while making sure they did not slip into any of the small epoxy blobs) and then lining the hull pieces up and pressing them together.  The whole process took about 10 minutes but felt like an hour!  Long video link below.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqDFXTSlX2s&t=116s

Screenshot_20230207-085503_QuickPic.jpg

Screenshot_20230207-085556_QuickPic.jpg

Screenshot_20230207-085919_QuickPic.jpg

20230206_110818.jpg

20230206_110856~01.jpg

I am completely worn-out after watching your video Glen. If I had to do that I'd go rabid skunk crazy knowing the epoxy meter was running while trying to join the two halves together with the tools (I use the term "tools" lightly, very lightly:)) you use while keeping the lines from becoming entangled and epoxied between the two halves. Nope, I couldn't be a SIB builder, i couldn't afford the illegal drug bill. 

My friend, I take my hat off to you for managing to get that process done without sending the whole kit and caboodle flying across the room. You be amazing.