Oseberg and Kraken by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - Bottle - 1/250

Impressive work Glen, I think you have a very near match for the ocean colour you were shooting for.  If you go down the path of water from the bottle's mouth, perhaps some clear nylon fishing line CA'd to the mouth of the bottle would provide a starting framework/ligature for the water?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

On 3/24/2023 at 6:58 PM, BANYAN said:

perhaps some clear nylon fishing line CA'd to the mouth of the bottle would provide a starting framework/ligature for the water?

Thanks, Pat.  Interesting technique to try.  Hmmmm.

Yes that's it.  Lines from the bottle.  And maybe a few flightless birds tangled up in the lines. To show how our oceans are poluted.  Just saying  😌  yep I Know what's your fixing to do next 😉 

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

13 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

Yes that's it.  Lines from the bottle.  And maybe a few flightless birds tangled up in the lines. To show how our oceans are poluted.  Just saying  😌  yep I Know what's your fixing to do next 😉 

Sorry thought it was going email lol

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

As Jerry Garcia said, “What a long, strange trip it’s been.”  More strange than long though.  When I look at the build logs on MSW for full-size ship models, I am constantly amazed at the perseverance the craftsmen have focusing on a project that can take years to complete.  It makes the 3 months I spent on this Kraken SIB pale in comparison.  So we’ll just call it a strange trip. 

Before I describe the final efforts of this past week, I want to take a moment and give a big THANK YOU to all the amazing people that have been a part of the adventure:  @Keith Black, @mtaylor, @gjdale, @Ian_Grant, @Landlubber Mike, @Knocklouder, @FriedClams, @BANYAN, @GrandpaPhil, @Louie da fly, @gsdpic, @Javelin, @O.B.one, @Snug Harbor Johnny, @ccoyle, @John Fox III, @Roger Pellett, @Prowler901, @BLACK VIKING, @Charter33@Paul Le Wol, @woodrat, @Jim Lad, @The Gimps Chimp, @Auger, @bolin, @Bryan Woods@AJohnson, @DonBMichigan.  When I post entries to this log and see your interest, likes, comments, suggestions, and humor, it's a large part of the enjoyment I get from these efforts.  As with all my other SIB projects, y’all made this one much better than it would have been had I just stumbled thru it on my own.  I cannot thank each of you enough.

Now, the final chapter - the last pothole on this trip was trying to turn the water into a living, breathing, ocean.  My thought was to have relatively calm water around the Kraken’s head with churning, active water underneath the bottle and around the tentacles.

First, I added some minor froth where the head and tentacles of the Kraken meet the water.  The froth was cotton pulled from the tips of Q-tips and heavily diluted with white glue.  Then I did some paint shading on the waves to achieve a gradient of dark sea blue at the base to a lighter blue/turquoise tint at the tops.  I used various mixtures of acrylic ultramarine, lake blue, yellow, and gel gloss for the different shades.  Next was adding touches of white paint to the tops of the smaller waves and ripples, followed by adding wave crests to the tops of the larger waves (cotton again with diluted white glue).  The final step was adding cotton splashes at the bases of the tentacles to give the appearance of tentacles violently coming out of the water.  Here's an in-progress pic.

20230327_102635.thumb.jpg.b4817898ba2ec6221758192f02a9f021.jpg

I finished all that work on Tuesday and thought I was done.  However, when I backed away and looked at it, something was not right.  But I could not put my finger on it.  I got up Wednesday morning, looked at it again, and it hit me.  Instead of ocean waves, my water looked like snowy mountain ranges.  And what’s the main thing about mountain ranges compared to ocean waves?  Mountains are static.  My ocean looked static.  Blah.  It needed some excitement, movement, churn, swirl, chaos.  

So back to google and studying pictures of ocean waves.  Then it was a matter of repainting the sides of many of the waves and redoing a lot of the crests and froth.  At the end, I think I was able to add a decent amount of life to the water and sort of make it look like it’s being whipped into a frenzy by thrashing tentacles.  Comments and criticisms (good and bad) are much appreciated on the result.

20230331_095835.thumb.jpg.b5072a643ef71a48f0af0aabfc7a04e2.jpg

20230331_095844.thumb.jpg.7f4e641e2538e38b789a3c01c5735923.jpg

I was breathing this YUGE sigh of relief when a friend reminded me of something I’d mentioned to her a while back.  She asked me, “What about the bit of water running out of the bottle’s mouth?  Are you still going to do that?”  Of course she was talking about @Javelin's suggestion which I had told her about.  I had pretty much decided not to bother with that.  But my friend pointed out that the water in the bottle would not just stop at the mouth’s edge, especially with the angle of the bottle.  

She was right.  Furthermore, now that I looked at it, the water in the neck of the bottle looked kind of static just like my ocean had earlier.  It needed an element of movement as well.  So I mixed some epoxy and set up some various ways of capturing a drop.  When they got good and sticky, but not quite hardened, I peeled off the one I like best and stuck it on to the lip of the bottle.

20230331_220338.thumb.jpg.2946b095d16453e27fc473aa839f0026.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.d7dd03f5241a525c56a8fdea7b7c4ae0.jpeg

And with that, my strange Oseberg/Kraken trip comes to an end!  I will add some final pics on the next post.

Edited by Glen McGuire

Holy squid Glen!  That looks amazing!!!  So creative and well done.  Congratulations!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Congratulations Glen on the completion of this amazing project.  It turned out fantastic - love it!  So fun and creative!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Glen, my friend, you nailed it, ab so lute ly nailed it! Of all your SIB's and their presentations this is by far and away the best. I was a bit worried you wouldn't be able to pull off making the water dynamic enough to match the scene. Obviously I need not have worried, the wave actions you've created brings the whole scene to life and the drop is the pièce de résistance. To say I'm impressed is an understatement, to say I am in awe is getting there.

I don't know what you're gonna do for an encore but if you ever beat this, you be the Magic Man.  

Awesome build!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

By Kraken, I think you go it.:cheers: Congratulations, Glen, the First Mate  agrees with me too , and that doesn't happen often  lol. The water is so very well done wow.

Thank you so much for your log , nicely done even with all the outside distractions lol. 

So whatcha fixing to do next , I want to get a front row seat. Plus you don't have to send me the 20 us dollars you promised if I write you a glowing  review  lol.  Thank you for the memories it was a lot of fun.

Well done my friend 

Great job Glen, love the water effect and a funny solution for the water coming out of the bottle! 

The water and waves appear in scale with you Kraken, which is not an easy  thing to accomplish 👍

Glen, congratulations on finishing your incredible Oseberg / Kraken. This build has given many people lots of smiles. Thank you 

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Congratulations Glen, a real masterpiece in miniature. As others have already said, whimsical, creative, amusing, and highly skilled execution. You’ve set a high bar my friend - I’m looking forward to your next creation.

What a voyage of epic proportions you have taken us on Glen.  It has been a joy to follow-along on your many adventures.  An excellent result and a display that I am sure that will be the subject of many discussions and perhaps a 'tot' or two.

cheers

Pat

Spectacular doesn't do this build justice, Glen.   It's beyond that.   Thanks for letting us follow along.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you for all the kind words.  Each of you had a helping hand throughout this build and were truly instrumental in bringing my crazy idea to life.  I am really blessed to be surrounded by so many incredibly talented (and entertaining) modelers.  My hat tips to all of y'all!  :imNotWorthy:  :imNotWorthy:  :imNotWorthy:

XLNT! Lovely work, Glen. I have only one question though: do you like calamari?😂

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

23 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

I have only one question though: do you like calamari?

LOL!!!  Like just about everything else, if you deep fry it long enough, it tastes pretty good! 

On 4/1/2023 at 7:16 PM, BANYAN said:

and perhaps a 'tot' or two.

Once again I fail the Aussie vocabulary test.  What is a "tot"?  A drink of some kind maybe?

Ian beat me to it :)  Not so much Aussie, but a Brit sailor's term I think.

cheers

Pat

From Wikipedia........."The rum ration (also called the tot) was a daily amount of rum given to sailors on Royal Navy ships"

20 hours ago, Keith Black said:

"The rum ration (also called the tot) was a daily amount of rum given to sailors on Royal Navy ships"

That is very interesting!  And I was certain Pat and the rest of the proud Aussies were trying to confuse me again with their lingo.  Too bad they don't sell that Bundaberg rum here in Texas or I'd help myself to more than a tot!  :cheers: 

You really outdid yourself. Well done👍😄

Current build 

HMB Endeavour SIB (Documenting on msw) slow going

Completed builds:

Hannah by Amati SIB

Generic 2 mast schooner SIB

Wyoming 6 mast schooner SIB (Documented on msw) 

Pirate ship from Asterix and the Great Crossing SIB (Documented on msw)

Shelfed for now

Ineos Britannia SIB (Documenting on msw)